• Jul 20th, 2017 3:40 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4341 posts
2948 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 5:03 pm
I will have to disagree. I gave up driving stick because of the knee pain. I switched to automatic and after roughly a month the pain slowly went away.
So you just proved it wasn't damaging if it went away. It was probably muscle pain. I had the same until I strengthened up.
It's basically like doing a single step. Do you avoid stairs now as well?
Did you have prior injuries?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10602 posts
1685 upvotes
Ottawa
If my wife drove manual comfortably, I wouldn't think twice about buying another manual, But she doesn't and I'm restricting myself to autos. I owned three other manuals while we've been married, and we kept separate cars, but logistically that seems too limiting now.

Since the cars I'll be buying tend to be more practical now, I'm ok with that. However, I used to commute almost 40km each way across Ottawa traffic and I never though twice about not having a manual for that reason.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4341 posts
2948 upvotes
GTA
Ends67 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 4:28 pm
I don't think people realize that the way you drive a manual transmission is not (NOT!) the same way you drive an automatic transmission in bumper to bumper traffic. I move later, only after there is enough space so that I can take off without disengaging the clutch again very quickly (in other words, I don't worry about the driver in front of me moving 1 metre to keep as close to the car in front of them as possible).

Also as I said above, I leave more space than I would in an auto. My dad has driven manual for 30+ years through a lot of stop and go traffic and hasn't had any complaints....
Very true. In fact I drive my wife's auto trans more like a stick. I shift to neutral when stopped because I hate holding the brake and it hurts my leg. Lol, so much for auto being easier in your leg.
Being in neutral also saves 25% on gas while idling as indicated by the car live reading. This is due to not having to have the engine fight the torque converter.
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 5:05 pm
In normal traffic that is a good idea but in bumper tp bumper traffic on the 401 you would get nowhere fast leaving gaps and the idiots that think 3 inches is enough to cut you off and take the space.
It's not an idea because we all do it and don't have a problem with lane changers. And so what if 10 people cut in front of you. That's 10 car lengths later that you will arrive, so what, 40 seconds?
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 5:49 pm
Are you serious. Have you ever driven in Europe no way traffic is as bad as the 401 in rush hour. Grannies don't drive they just cook.
You've clearly never been to big European cities. You should try driving in London.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
755 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 6:22 pm
So you just proved it wasn't damaging if it went away. It was probably muscle pain. I had the same until I strengthened up.
It's basically like doing a single step. Do you avoid stairs now as well?
Did you have prior injuries?
It went away because I quit driving stick. How much clearer can I be.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4341 posts
2948 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 10:56 pm
It went away because I quit driving stick. How much clearer can I be.
Right, which shows it wasn't permanent damage. Much like exercise, your leg gets sore, but when you stop it gets better. Unlike running, where if you destroy your meniscus/cartilage it will never recover, even if you stop running.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
755 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:06 pm
Right, which shows it wasn't permanent damage. Much like exercise, your leg gets sore, but when you stop it gets better. Unlike running, where if you destroy your meniscus/cartilage it will never recover, even if you stop running.
You need to get a life. I don't care what you are doing if your body part starts to hurt you stop doing it. Common sense which all of RFD has lost.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4341 posts
2948 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:11 pm
You need to get a life. I don't care what you are doing if your body part starts to hurt you stop doing it. Common sense which all of RFD has lost.
And yet here you are... enjoying life with me here on RFD....

You must be out of shape if you stop exercising when your muscles start burning. Especially if a light press on your leg causes you so much pain. No pain no gain brah :P

Is this your new automatic vehicle?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
755 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:39 pm
And yet here you are... enjoying life with me here on RFD....

You must be out of shape if you stop exercising when your muscles start burning. Especially if a light press on your leg causes you so much pain. No pain no gain brah :P

Is this your new automatic vehicle?
I am here because of people like you that common sense alludes you. If you touch a hot stove element and it burns you would you do it again? In your case you would because you don't believe the stove burned you. You would keep touching the stove because you believed sooner or later it wouldn't burn you.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
2299 posts
1047 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't know what you guys are complaining about. I've been driving manual for the last 15+ years. If you think driving manual in city traffic is bad, try riding a motorcycle in traffic.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4341 posts
2948 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:47 pm
I am here because of people like you that common sense alludes you. If you touch a hot stove element and it burns you would you do it again? In your case you would because you don't believe the stove burned you. You would keep touching the stove because you believed sooner or later it wouldn't burn you.
So your "common sense" tells you that you should find all of my posts and troll them? Some life you have.

Touching a hot stove is not akin to stepping up a stair, as pushing a clutch is. If you stopped burning your hand would you recover completely (as you did when you stopped using a clutch)? No (obviously), you'd have scarred skin and nerve damage.

Back to your lair troll.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
755 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:04 am
So your "common sense" tells you that you should find all of my posts and troll them? Some life you have.

Touching a hot stove is not akin to stepping up a stair, as pushing a clutch is. If you stopped burning your hand would you recover completely (as you did when you stopped using a clutch)? No (obviously), you'd have scarred skin and nerve damage.

Back to your lair troll.
Not to be cheeky but I have 5325 posts and if you think I'm trolling you or anybody else you must think to much of yourself. I spend most of my RFD time in Automotive and hot deals. I don't care who you are or what you do but if I feel the need to correct you or anybody else's post I will.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4341 posts
2948 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:11 am
Not to be cheeky but I have 5325 posts and if you think I'm trolling you or anybody else you must think to much of yourself. I spend most of my RFD time in Automotive and hot deals. I don't care who you are or what you do but if I feel the need to correct you or anybody else's post I will.
Oh, don't stop. It is quite enjoyable. It's just unfortunate that the comments have devolved into personal attacks and logical fallacies.
I just find it amazing that, while I only have a paltry 2890 posts (quantity=quality, right?) You've all of a sudden replied to all of my recent posts within minutes. Sheer coincidence I'm sure!
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5625 posts
755 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:30 am
Oh, don't stop. It is quite enjoyable. It's just unfortunate that the comments have devolved into personal attacks and logical fallacies.
I just find it amazing that, while I only have a paltry 2890 posts (quantity=quality, right?) You've all of a sudden replied to all of my recent posts within minutes. Sheer coincidence I'm sure!
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-authority
Personal attacks get a life. Get over yourself. Post accurate information and your good.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4341 posts
2948 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:39 am
Personal attacks get a life. Get over yourself. Post accurate information and you're good.
Allow me to remind you.
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:47 pm
I am here because of people like you that common sense alludes you.
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:11 pm
You need to get a life.
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:06 am
you backyard butchers.
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:03 am
you backyard mechanics
... you need to get a life.