• Jul 20th, 2017 3:40 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
2995 posts
1662 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:39 am
Personal attacks get a life. Get over yourself. Post accurate information and you're good.
Allow me to remind you.
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:47 pm
I am here because of people like you that common sense alludes you.
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 11:11 pm
You need to get a life.
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:06 am
you backyard butchers.
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 12:03 am
you backyard mechanics
... you need to get a life.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14256 posts
1011 upvotes
I heard f1 drivers complain about paddle shifters saying it's not engaging enough.

Ha ha

I would only get paddles in a lambos or similar high powered supercar. Even in a pagani I would want a manual. That's sexy AF.
Feb 19, 2012
608 posts
112 upvotes
Woodbridge
Manual transmissions may not be as fuel efficient or as quick as modern autos but for me they are far more engaging. I enjoy rowing my own gears. I won't begrudge someone for buying an automatic however it's not for me. For everyday driving automatics feel extremely dull. Then again, as half of this country seems to love to talk it up on their phones while downing a cup of Timmies with a bagel maybe automatics make perfect sense.
May 28, 2017
37 posts
18 upvotes
I'd go as far to say that autos make traffic worse. If everyone keeps their distance and just taps their accelerator periodically, rush hour would be more bearable. You'd certainly go slowly due to traffic volume, but you'd be at a complete stop much less often.

It's those clowns who speed up and tailgate only to slam their brakes that make traffic worse.
Dec 10, 2007
122 posts
61 upvotes
Arviat
Manual vs auto = a perfect example of first world problems really.
I just feel fortunate and blessed as where I come from at least 95% of the vehicles on the road is manual, we drive 2 hr. bumper to bumper traffic each way in narrow lanes sharing the road with the rudest drivers, and just owning a car no matter what make is a luxury.
Thank you Canada! Still prefer manual though lol.
If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything.
Feb 1, 2004
755 posts
186 upvotes
Markham
I recently spoke to the owner of a transmission repair facility that has been in business for 30 years. He recently purchased a new vehicle and decide to go with manual this time. He has found that the new automatics are getting way too complex and hence costly to repair when there is an issue. Manuals rarely need repairing.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1955 posts
228 upvotes
Toronto
Ends67 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 2:45 pm
My technique is for going through traffic is simply keeping a 3-car distance in 1st or 2nd gear (sometimes I wish I had a "1.5 gear" for traffic) and tapping my accelerator, i barely have to use the clutch, I do get overtaken by impatient individuals but it doesn't bother me, we usually get to our destinations at the same time anyway....
^This. Have been doing it for a few decades, otherwise I would have gone broke frequently replacing clutches.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
1650 posts
618 upvotes
Montreal
If you can keep a 3 car distance and idle in 2nd gear, then it's not really traffic.
Feb 8, 2017
75 posts
55 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 5:49 pm
Are you serious. Have you ever driven in Europe no way traffic is as bad as the 401 in rush hour. Grannies don't drive they just cook.
It's about practice, experience and preference. I have seen grannies in North America and Asia drive manual as well. Those grannies and grandpas you see driving manuals have been driving manuals since they were teens or in 20's. They learnt driving on manual transmission. After driving manual for all those years they're used to it BUT whether people admit it or not, it's a fact that Automatic is easier to drive, especially in high traffic , bumper to bumper , etc.

I know grannies who learnt driving on manual but once they started driving automatic, they never looked back at manual.

As for Europe, For example: To drive in UK, you have an option to get an automatic license or full license . Automatic license means you can't drive manual transmission. At the age of 17 or 18, peer pressure means that only a wuss would get an automatic license. It is like admitting you can't cut it as a real driver. Among boys, automatics are thought of as girls cars. Having an automatic license may also count against you when looking for a job and you have to put the automatic license on your CV. So everybody who is capable does the manual license test. This whole "real men drive manual" is such a backward mentality of Europeans. This mentality exist in third world countries and all of Middle East.

Another reason why you see mostly manual cars in Europe is the fact that when you go to get your first car, you are buying used and looking for something cheap, easy to run, maintain and insure. That plus peer pressure plus the simple fact that all the available cars that match your requirements are manual mean that you buy a manual car.

Bottom line is that it's a preference. But whatever you like. I love automatics and never liked manuals.

It's all about preference. For example: I'd prefer to spend 80K on Lexus RC-F over BMW M3 because I prefer comfort, lexus reliability. I'd buy Corolla over other compacts despite it being slow
Oct 26, 2009
596 posts
48 upvotes
An automatic licence is a FULL LICENCE in the UK. It just means that you're not allowed to drive manual cars. People usually go for a manual licence because most of the cars on the road are manual and it would be a great inconvenience if you don't. It doesn't necessarily mean you're a wuss if you drive auto. I'm sure tons of people would like an auto but it usually costs more (to buy and maintain) and not as good in fuel economy (if it's a traditional tq converter box).

The problem in Canada is that they don't make this distinction. I'm sure if they use the same system as the UK, more people would opt for a manual licence.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2008
1252 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
I didnt know that model Ford came in a manual. Learned something new today.

My car is a manual and I agree driving MT sucks in stop and go traffic. Fortunately I dont find myself stuck in that type of traffic very often. My last 3 cars have all been manual but I think the next car will be AT
Oct 29, 2009
388 posts
78 upvotes
lordnikon wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 10:20 am
The problem in Canada is that they don't make this distinction. I'm sure if they use the same system as the UK, more people would opt for a manual licence.
No way. If they made this distinction in Canada then NOBODY would drive manual cars because we are already pretty much saturated with automatics. A lot (I would guess most) young people use their parents' vehicle to do the road test, which is almost always going to be an automatic. Either that or their driving instructor's vehicle (for an extra fee). Getting a manual transmission license would be a niche thing, and manufacturers would stop selling them here because sales would be so low.
Oct 26, 2009
596 posts
48 upvotes
McGuillicuddy wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 10:52 am
No way. If they made this distinction in Canada then NOBODY would drive manual cars because we are already pretty much saturated with automatics. A lot (I would guess most) young people use their parents' vehicle to do the road test, which is almost always going to be an automatic. Either that or their driving instructor's vehicle (for an extra fee). Getting a manual transmission license would be a niche thing, and manufacturers would stop selling them here because sales would be so low.
Too late now to change.
Jul 13, 2017
15 posts
4 upvotes
My experience tells me you will definitely switch back to manual even you get a auto car this time. They just suck
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17649 posts
778 upvotes
Brampton
Manual transmission driver for life here. I drive manual in a busy city, maybe it annoys the odd impatient person but I just cruise in a lower gear. Not super slow that people behind me are getting pissed though

Honestly even at the worst of times when I think it's gonna be a pain in the ass (like super hungover on a Sunday morning leaving Niagara Falls, or in literally a soul-crushing stretch of dead stop traffic) it always surprises me how it's a non issue and the shifting is just second nature

We do have two cars, and the wife's is automatic. I dread driving it, it's so boring

It really sucks for me as I so badly want my next vehicle to be an EV but they don't even have gears Loudly Crying Face
Discord: ZAvMRrc