• Jul 20th, 2017 3:40 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17649 posts
778 upvotes
Brampton
Ends67 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 2:45 pm
My technique is for going through traffic is simply keeping a 3-car distance in 1st or 2nd gear (sometimes I wish I had a "1.5 gear" for traffic) and tapping my accelerator, i barely have to use the clutch, I do get overtaken by impatient individuals but it doesn't bother me, we usually get to our destinations at the same time anyway....
Actually, usually the idiots who jump in front of the gap get overtaken by me instead as I can easily go into left or right lanes when he jams on his brakes like a muppet and gets to a standstill in front of me
Discord: ZAvMRrc
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
13978 posts
3257 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Ends67 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 8:51 am
I'd go as far to say that autos make traffic worse. If everyone keeps their distance and just taps their accelerator periodically, rush hour would be more bearable. You'd certainly go slowly due to traffic volume, but you'd be at a complete stop much less often.

It's those clowns who speed up and tailgate only to slam their brakes that make traffic worse.
word up. I keep a fair distance and try to keep braking to a minimum. The odd time I get an impatient moron who cuts out from behind me and cuts back in.

It's like ' congrats professor...you saved yourself 1.2 seconds of travel time'
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Oct 26, 2006
669 posts
4 upvotes
I have an MT as a daily driver, and commute 1hr one way from the 905 to downtown. on occasion may sit through bad jams, and at the end of the day, will still opt for the MT.

I always have a set of preferred 'driving' shoes in the trunk. that way, I don't get stuck driving with dress shoes.
Jun 7, 2009
123 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
papermate2 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:02 am
Sitting in GTA traffic and wearing dress shoes does not allow for a fun experience.
Perhaps leave a pair of driving shoes in your car?
Jun 7, 2009
123 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
HugsNotDrugs wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 1:41 am
I've been driving manual for 20 years and find it tiring. Still wouldn't trade for an auto, but let's be real.

Try inching up a hill with a lightweight flywheel and a grabby clutch.
When I lived in NYC, I drove in the stop and go with an aluminum flywheel and a 4 puck sprung clutch with an uprated pressure plate. Talk about grabby, heavy and easily stallable if you didn't want to rev to 2000 to engage 1st.

Of course, my friend had to trump me with an aluminum flywheel, 6 puck UNsprung clutch and the extreme pressure plate. Valets had a fun time with that car.
Jun 7, 2009
123 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 10:56 pm
It went away because I quit driving stick. How much clearer can I be.
How did you orient your left knee when you were driving stick? Did you put it on the dead pedal in between shifts, or did you always keep it in a 90-degree bend and rest on your heel, ready to clutch in at a moment's notice?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
2884 posts
267 upvotes
Ends67 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2017 8:51 am
I'd go as far to say that autos make traffic worse. If everyone keeps their distance and just taps their accelerator periodically, rush hour would be more bearable. You'd certainly go slowly due to traffic volume, but you'd be at a complete stop much less often.

It's those clowns who speed up and tailgate only to slam their brakes that make traffic worse.
But literally everyone does that...that's the norm, not the exception. In order to not get cut off a million times, I have to do the same and not leave a big gap.
Deal Guru
Oct 13, 2009
13978 posts
3257 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
flamez1000 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:26 pm
But literally everyone does that...that's the norm, not the exception. In order to not get cut off a million times, I have to do the same and not leave a big gap.
if people enter your lane in front of you due to a bit of a gap, that's not really being cut off. But I see what you mean.

Happens to me quite often. There's always someone there to fill the gap. I just deal with it. I'm not in the mood to ride someones ass for 85% of my commute. Rather keep the flow around me consistent and give myself a bit of time to react to any potential ****ery in front of me.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1407 posts
279 upvotes
To answer the OPs question, I do tend to ping pong between manual and auto for my cars. There a days that I do get a sore knee and ankle from driving manual, but I have prior injuries from Rugby and Fencing. I'll switch to an auto and the pain goes away, but then I get bored and the next car I buy is a manual.

I will agree with everyone that driving a manual in traffic requires a different driving style. You tend to leave more space and sort of crawl along at a constant rate instead of accelerate-brake, accelerate-brake. For what it's worth, I think traffic would be smoother and there would be less accidents if everyone was forced to learn how to drive manual at first. I think it teaches you a greater appreciation of space and momentum. The only time I find it completely unbearable is when traffic is so thick that you can't completely clutch out in 1st to roll along and some impatient idiot is like a millimeter off your bumper.

I am hoping that the DSG in my next car (that I'm picking-up tonight!) is a good enough auto that I can not get bored long-term. It's getting harder and harder to justify buying a manual for myself and not being able to let my wife take my car in emergencies.
Jun 7, 2009
123 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
unshavenyak wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 3:53 pm
To answer the OPs question, I do tend to ping pong between manual and auto for my cars. There a days that I do get a sore knee and ankle from driving manual, but I have prior injuries from Rugby and Fencing. I'll switch to an auto and the pain goes away, but then I get bored and the next car I buy is a manual.

I will agree with everyone that driving a manual in traffic requires a different driving style. You tend to leave more space and sort of crawl along at a constant rate instead of accelerate-brake, accelerate-brake. For what it's worth, I think traffic would be smoother and there would be less accidents if everyone was forced to learn how to drive manual at first. I think it teaches you a greater appreciation of space and momentum. The only time I find it completely unbearable is when traffic is so thick that you can't completely clutch out in 1st to roll along and some impatient idiot is like a millimeter off your bumper.

I am hoping that the DSG in my next car (that I'm picking-up tonight!) is a good enough auto that I can not get bored long-term. It's getting harder and harder to justify buying a manual for myself and not being able to let my wife take my car in emergencies.
Can you train her to operate a clutch?
Jul 31, 2016
174 posts
77 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 10:29 am
More details please?
You get to decide when to shift, not the automatic transmission.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
3872 posts
198 upvotes
I've driven manual for a while now so it's literally second nature at this point.

Even my wife doesn't want to give up manual so both cars (which are regularly driven to/from/around downtown and in traffic) are stick. I'd rather drive a significantly crappier manual car than any auto.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1407 posts
279 upvotes
souledge wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:25 pm
Can you train her to operate a clutch?
She can drive manual, she just hates it.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1407 posts
279 upvotes
RastaManMax wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:35 pm
I've driven manual for a while now so it's literally second nature at this point.

Even my wife doesn't want to give up manual so both cars (which are regularly driven to/from/around downtown and in traffic) are stick. I'd rather drive a significantly crappier manual car than any auto.
I wouldn't. I find the quality of the transmission makes or breaks a car for me. I would take a ZF 8-speed or DSG over a not so great manual like on the previous gen WRX.
Jun 7, 2009
123 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
TicoGato wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 4:27 pm
You get to decide when to shift, not the automatic transmission.
I assume you only refer to automatic transmissions that force you to shift at redline.

I can perfectly grenade my engine by holding redline indefinitely in gear with my dual clutch transmission, thank you very much.