1148 upvotes
Mont-Royal

Open a savings account and earn 2.4% @ Manulife Bank

Deal Link:
Expiry:
August 19, 2018
Retailer:
Manulife Bank
It's a nice deal for those who can't open a bank account with EQ Bank or PCF such as QC residents.

2.4% until 250k until Aug 31 2018.

Now you have got a better way to threaten Tangerine when their promo interest is ending.

CIDC coverage, yes.

*To qualify for this offer, a new personal, non-registered, Canadian-dollar Advantage Account must be applied for and opened by August 19th, 2018. The promotional annual interest rate which is currently 2.40% is made up of the regular posted variable interest rate of 1.25% and the variable annual promotional rate of 1.15% calculated daily and paid monthly until August 31st, 2018 on net new deposits (funds not currently held in a Manulife Bank account) received by August 19th, 2018 up to a maximum of $250,000. The offer and rates are as of April 9, 2018 and subject to change without notice. Any change to the regular posted variable interest rate will result in a corresponding change to the promotional interest. The offer is limited to one account per client and cannot be combined with other promotional rate offers. Visit our terms & conditions for full terms and conditions and for our current rates.

1 Trade-mark of Interac Inc. Used under license.

2 Interest is calculated on the closing daily balance and paid monthly. Rate is subject to change without notice. View our current rates for more details.
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
2549 posts
911 upvotes
YUL/YVR
Had this for other half a year now as mentioned in a few Personal Finance threads.

The original promo was suppose to end Apr 30th, then got extended to June 30th. Today they extended that to August 31st. So hopefully they keep extending it to end of the year.

Not necessary THE best, but one of the best rate around. You get a chequing account with an interest rate that you will normally get from a saving account promo. Only $1000 balance and then you get free e-Transfers.
Mar 22, 2004
592 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa
Threaten Tangerine for what? Would Tangerine match the rate if their promo is ending? That'd be cool.
Jul 5, 2013
751 posts
1099 upvotes
Saint John
Despite the promo page, I can't open their other web pages which makes me worry about future online banking
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1136 posts
306 upvotes
Can you link tangerine to a Manulife account?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
10732 posts
1431 upvotes
Manulife bank? do they have brick and store office? how easy to transfer out? any fee to transfer out?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Mar 16, 2008
29 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 8:34 am
Manulife bank? do they have brick and store office? how easy to transfer out? any fee to transfer out?
I have a Manulife One mortgage and use Manulife Bank as part of that (though it’s not my primary bank). The mortgage is a separate discussion but I’ve been really happy with their banking. No brick and mortar locations but you can bank using most credit union locations - which I’ve never had any issues locating around Toronto. Outside the GTA might be a little tougher. They have an ABM locater to assist you finding a place to withdraw/deposit without fees. They also have a decent phone app and website. That said, customer support is tricky. Usually only available during business hours and it’s a call answering service with limited ability to make account changes after hours. I only know this because I lost my debit card once and learned I had to call the next day to request a new card but they were able to disable my existing card. Personally if this wasn’t tied to my mortgage, I would just stick with a big bank - which I’m doing anyway. I know there are fees associated to transfer or close out the mortgage ($250) and likely same would apply to a banking account (not $250, but some amount).
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
2549 posts
911 upvotes
YUL/YVR
demon1102 wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 2:34 am
Despite the promo page, I can't open their other web pages which makes me worry about future online banking
Link work last night when I tried and still works right now. I log onto my account 3-5 times a week, never had a down site before.
wra45mon wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 8:21 am
Can you link tangerine to a Manulife account?
kiasu wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 8:34 am
Yes can link to Tangerine. No brick and mortar. Push/pull to your big bank as usual.
What daremedy mentioned about credit union is true. As you have over $1000
(used to be $3000 or 5000 last yr) balance, you can use any EXCHANGE network ATM's.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1136 posts
306 upvotes
AdamKing wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 4:59 pm

Link work last night when I tried and still works right now. I log onto my account 3-5 times a week, never had a down site before.

Yes can link to Tangerine. No brick and mortar. Push/pull to your big bank as usual.
What daremedy mentioned about credit union is true. As you have over $1000
(used to be $3000 or 5000 last yr) balance, you can use any EXCHANGE network ATM's.
There seems to be fee changes coming may 14 but as long as you have 1k in account I guess there's no impact.

Maybe I should've been more clear, from tangerine can you link Manulife account as external account?
The reason I ask is cause setting up a bank account link from Manulife side seems like a hassle.

Also looks like you can open account online now without meeting with financial advisor.

TIA
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
2101 posts
105 upvotes
drdtyc wrote:
Apr 10th, 2018 5:38 pm
Joint account?
same question. can we set these up as a joint account?
Apr 19, 2018
39 posts
20 upvotes
Vancouver
Joint account is not included in the offer.
I am not looking to offend anyone.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1047 posts
140 upvotes
Ottawa
Don't like banks give you 3 months and then what...?
Just like Hell offers TV phone plans
Dec 29, 2010
53 posts
29 upvotes
Wealthsimple also offers 1.7% savings accounts for Quebec residents. I personally prefer a standard better rate than having to constantly switch between banks to capture promo rates.