Expired Hot Deals

[Manulife] Manulife Bank Advantage Account 1.5% with end of 3.35%/3.25% promotional period ***Updated July 17, 2019***

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2019 11:50 am
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15910 posts
8223 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
leoben wrote:
May 5th, 2019 10:35 pm
"Your Advantage Account application has been submitted!" email 4 days ago and nothing yet, sorry this thread is v long but how long does it take from receiving such an email until your account is actually opened? thank you
I've been waiting for over a week. You can call their 1-800 or email them to follow up. I did that and got a call back. They asked all sorts of credit bureau related questions. My account is now open but still shows "Hold." I'm sure they'll eventually un-Hold it but have no idea when.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15910 posts
8223 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
vivibaby wrote:
May 6th, 2019 3:25 am
What happens if your account is on hold? It was ok transferring in but when I tried to trasnfer out I get the message.
You've been checked into their hold hotel...
Welcome to the Hotel Manulife
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face.
They livin' it up at the Hotel Manulife...

'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
Your can check out any time you like,
But your money can never leave!'
veni, vidi, Visa
May 4, 2004
406 posts
53 upvotes
5 days already, the pulled money still on hold, what's wrong with Manulife bank
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
1419 posts
503 upvotes
bylo wrote:
May 6th, 2019 7:00 am
You've been checked into their hold hotel...
Welcome to the Hotel Manulife
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face.
They livin' it up at the Hotel Manulife...

'Relax' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
Your can check out any time you like,
But your money can never leave!'
Nice little jingle
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5143 posts
781 upvotes
Toronto
Roy2004 wrote:
May 6th, 2019 7:44 am
Was EquiBank like that too, right? That why I choose to push to Manulife
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
1587 posts
623 upvotes
ON
Roy2004 wrote:
Their terms say "up to 8 business days".
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
3907 posts
1661 upvotes
I tested both ways - push to ML and pull from ML. They both got updated at both banks on the same day. So there is no benefit of having double dipping with interest. Therefore one should choose to push to avoid funds being on hold
Jul 29, 2013
748 posts
384 upvotes
"I want three accounts to be covered by CDIC insurance. One for me and one for my souse plus a joint account.

The rep told me we each had to open an account then have them jointed.
Next we had to each open an account again to have separate accounts.

The rep had to put me on hold to get the information.
It seemed to me he should have known the answer to this basic question."

Update:
Well maybe he did not know the answer after all.
Had to phone in because one mobile app cheque was not deposited (have to redeposit) so asked how to get a joint account at Manulife Bank and was given a different answer.

If you already have separate accounts and want a joint account one of you open up a new account ( both people do not have to open a new account). Once opened, phone in with both people present giving approval of making your new account joint.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15910 posts
8223 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
profile wrote:
May 6th, 2019 4:00 pm
Update:
Well maybe he did not know the answer after all.
Had to phone in because one mobile app cheque was not deposited (have to redeposit) so asked how to get a joint account at Manulife Bank and was given a different answer.

If you already have separate accounts and want a joint account one of you open up a new account ( both people do not have to open a new account). Once opened, phone in with both people present giving approval of making your new account joint.
That actually makes sense--(not that "makes sense" implies that's their policy,.

They want each of you to open individual accounts so they can get your personal info, including SIN, etc. and vet each of you. Once they've done that and you're now "known" to Manulife, they can open a joint account.

I would imagine that if three people, A, B and C wanted to open joint accounts, they'd want each to first open individual accounts. Then they'd be able to open joint accounts, e.g. A+B, B+C, A+C and A+B+C, without making you all go through the process again[*]

Again, just because this may make sense doesn't mean that it makes their policy.

[*] This would also allow you to have $700k on deposit all CDIC insured.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1214 posts
276 upvotes
bylo wrote:
May 6th, 2019 6:55 am
I've been waiting for over a week. You can call their 1-800 or email them to follow up. I did that and got a call back. They asked all sorts of credit bureau related questions. My account is now open but still shows "Hold." I'm sure they'll eventually un-Hold it but have no idea when.
I got a call from them the next day after receiving the email. After answering a bunch of questions, I was asked to deposit a cheque and upload a utility bill. I was told the account would be set up once the cheque clears. In the mean time, I have the account number so I can set up my links to my banks.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1214 posts
276 upvotes
Roy2004 wrote:
My wife's push from Tangerine to Manulife was never on hold. It shows up in available balance right away. We set up the link from Tangerine, not Manulife.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
1587 posts
623 upvotes
ON
mkl38s wrote:
May 6th, 2019 12:12 pm
I tested both ways - push to ML and pull from ML. They both got updated at both banks on the same day. So there is no benefit of having double dipping with interest. Therefore one should choose to push to avoid funds being on hold
Yeah I was really surprised to see the same thing. I put in the transaction in the evening and I saw the money in ML the next day.
Aug 29, 2010
186 posts
143 upvotes
cgtlky wrote:
May 6th, 2019 7:55 am
Was EquiBank like that too, right? That why I choose to push to Manulife
EQ put hold on my fund for 3 + weeks
Jul 22, 2015
461 posts
91 upvotes
Ontario
yummie wrote:
May 3rd, 2019 3:12 pm
As you guys know, I opened an account yesterday, and(mobile) photo bombed cheques into my account from Simplii and other institutions...Well, my photo cheques cleared today which is about 24 hours...

Anyways, as I was logging into Simplii, they offered me 3% HISA from May 1 to Oct 31...The day my cheques clear(withdrawn from simplii and sent to Manulife) they give me this offer...F@@k @@f :facepalm:

If they are offering 3% at Simplii, you might as well stay...If they would of given me this offer 2 days ago, I would of kept my money with them instead of taking it to Manulife
Personally, I would trust Manulife over Simplii. My hubby's Simplii account was hacked last year so I no longer trust Simplii.
May 4, 2004
406 posts
53 upvotes
bylo wrote:
May 6th, 2019 4:07 pm

I would imagine that if three people, A, B and C wanted to open joint accounts, they'd want each to first open individual accounts. Then they'd be able to open joint accounts, e.g. A+B, B+C, A+C and A+B+C, without making you all go through the process again[*]

[*] This would also allow you to have $700k on deposit all CDIC insured.
why is $700k but not $1200k in your example? each individual was insured upto $400K included their own account per my understanding.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)