• Oct 16th, 2017 2:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3321 posts
710 upvotes
Mississauga

Marble Tiles - Where to buy?

Please recommend places to buy marble tiles. Budget is around $4/sq ft to $10/sq ft. I need for a small area (front foyer) of house so I don't mind spending more per sq ft if the quality and look is really good.

Do most of these places offer installation at a reasonable price? Or should I find my own installation person somewhere else?

Is a certain origin of marble tiles preferred (ie. Italy)?

So far I have looked online at Cercan Tile and also Ciot. How are those?
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
15 replies
Jul 29, 2013
377 posts
142 upvotes
Do you really want marble on the front foyer floor?
It is very soft.
Jan 15, 2013
758 posts
99 upvotes
Mississauga
^

What he said exactly.

It's going to get darker overtime (it's porous) and trust me I lived in a home full of marble for 14yrs. Itll be a huge disadvantage during winter as well because it'll get slippery.

If you really insist go for a marble-look porcelain tile. And btw, almost all tiles come from Italy. I was going to recommend you a place but they royally screwed my order up and ended up costing me money as consequence - too bad, they probably have one of the best tile selection in the GTA.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9219 posts
3303 upvotes
Ottawa
westcoastyvr wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:28 pm
Try Olympia Tile:
http://olympiatile.com/product/series/85

If you know ANYONE with a business they can probably get them for you at 40% off (Contractor rate).
This.

Find a tiler before your tile regardless which store you buy them at. You’ll literally get your tile installed for free.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Feb 17, 2012
470 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 1:59 am
This.

Find a tiler before your tile regardless which store you buy them at. You’ll literally get your tile installed for free.
Who is to say the homeowner will be getting that 40% off??? Most likely not.
Feb 26, 2016
463 posts
77 upvotes
I bought mine from tile solutions but I had a 40% discount through a contractor who was doing my basement. another place to check out is TUBS. not sure how pricing is though.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9219 posts
3303 upvotes
Ottawa
Frank2029 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 5:48 am
Who is to say the homeowner will be getting that 40% off??? Most likely not.
That's why you find and interview your contractor beforehand. They'll get at least 20% off tile...some more depending how much they get. We get 40% off at Olympia. It doesn't cost them anything to pass along their discount if they want the work. The discount is based on your purchasing volume the previous year. It's in their best interest to move as much tile from a single store by giving the best discount to keep doing that.

PS: No need to downvote...I've seen it hundreds of time...and why would a bunch of us in this thread recommend doing that??
Last edited by Cas77 on Oct 13th, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3321 posts
710 upvotes
Mississauga
profile wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:25 pm
Do you really want marble on the front foyer floor?
It is very soft.
Brookside05 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:59 pm
^

What he said exactly.

It's going to get darker overtime (it's porous) and trust me I lived in a home full of marble for 14yrs. Itll be a huge disadvantage during winter as well because it'll get slippery.

If you really insist go for a marble-look porcelain tile. And btw, almost all tiles come from Italy. I was going to recommend you a place but they royally screwed my order up and ended up costing me money as consequence - too bad, they probably have one of the best tile selection in the GTA.
What about a different marble finish instead of polished? Would a honed or some other finish of marble work and look good in a main foyer?

Also how is marble for a powder room floor tile? It doesn't get as wet since there is obviously no shower so a polished, honed etc. marble will work?
Feb 17, 2012
470 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
Cas77 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 9:12 am
That's why you find and interview your contractor beforehand. They'll get at least 20% off tile...some more depending how much they get. We get 40% off at Olympia. It doesn't cost them anything to pass along their discount if they want the work. The discount is based on your purchasing volume the previous year. It's in their best interest to move as much tile from a single store by giving the best discount to keep doing that.

PS: No need to downvote...I've seen it hundreds of time...and why would a bunch of us in this thread recommend doing that??
No offence but alot of these smaller independent companies will not be honest with you. I can say I get 25% but really get 40%.

About the downvote that was a mistake but I couldn't take it back on mobile app. Only by upvoting and I wasn't gonna do that since I didn't agree ;)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3321 posts
710 upvotes
Mississauga
My guy is charging $8/sq ft for installation alone. He's a small guy ie. no business so I doubt he gets a discount though I will ask. Should I look at a different person for labour or is $8/sq ft reasonable?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7230 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
ar2020 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 3:36 pm
My guy is charging $8/sq ft for installation alone. He's a small guy ie. no business so I doubt he gets a discount though I will ask. Should I look at a different person for labour or is $8/sq ft reasonable?
It depends what the tile is. 12x24 installed is different than 4x6 subway.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7230 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:53 pm
Ciot is very expensive. Look elsewhere
They are. But they give good discounts to those in the trade. That makes them an excellent option.