Tags:
None
May 8, 2009
6484 posts
2733 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
kevindurant1 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 12:54 pm
They are doing a great thing. No more criminal record just for smoking. People can buy the quality they want. Some people who smoke suffer from pain and other ailments but they couldnt get medical marijuana before. This will be perfect for them. Some of them prefer cannabis than codiene.

You just have to ask people who smoke and use marijuana medically. You will see. We will be the first country to ever do this. Conservatives were running negative ads last election and they were hinting at stiff penalties on people who smoke.

Whats a grit?. Liberals?. Yeah. I dont like their support for TPP and C-51 and their continued support for war in the middle east. I am not loyal to any party. I vote NDP and Liberal. Only thing I hate are the Conservatives.
Lolz. With your passion for the Liberals on these threads, you didn't know they were the Grits? Medical marijuana was already legal (consumption and distribution). The Grits are legalizing recreational marijuana.

Since you're arguing about medical marijuana, looks like you've fallen off topic since the thread title is about the legislation kicking in July 2018.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8521 posts
300 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:24 pm
Lolz. With your passion for the Liberals on these threads, you didn't know they were the Grits? Medical marijuana was already legal (consumption and distribution). The Grits are legalizing recreational marijuana.

Since you're arguing about medical marijuana, looks like you've fallen off topic since the thread title is about the legislation kicking in July 2018.
Sorry but how is it off topic?. Im not talking about people who are allowed to access medical marijuana.

Im talking about people who smoke and use marijuana medically but cant find a health practitioner that would sign off. Doctors are still pretty strict when it comes to medical marijuana.

Legalization will cover all of them.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
May 8, 2009
6484 posts
2733 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
kevindurant1 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 10:40 pm
Sorry but how is it off topic?. Im not talking about people who are allowed to access medical marijuana.

Im talking about people who smoke and use marijuana medically but cant find a health practitioner that would sign off. Doctors are still pretty strict when it comes to medical marijuana.

Legalization will cover all of them.
Ok, that's fair then. That would allow those who intend on using it medically would be able to use it recreationally anyway.

I think strict doctors is YMMV, because I've seen people use the lamest excuses with doctors to get their medical marijuana permit.

Back to your claim that legal retailers take away from black market dealers...I don't think it'll have much impact. It'll be easier than ever to sustain black market marijuana since once it's in the hands of the buyer, the buyer wouldn't be committing any crime via possession or consumption.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31696 posts
8087 upvotes
GTHA
Conservative MP Marilyn Gladu (Sarnia-Lambton) recited a poem in the House of Commons on Friday opposing the Liberal's plan to legalize marijuana by July 2018.

Last edited by tk1000 on Dec 3rd, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31696 posts
8087 upvotes
GTHA
Canada has reached a deal with the provinces and territories for sharing tax revenue from legal pot sales. The provinces and territories will get 75 per cent of the tax revenue and the federal government will get 25 per cent. Ottawa will be capped at $100 million annually with excess revenue going to the provinces and territories.

To read more: http://cbc.ca/1.4442540

May 8, 2009
6484 posts
2733 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 8:52 pm
Canada has reached a deal with the provinces and territories for sharing tax revenue from legal pot sales. The provinces and territories will get 75 per cent of the tax revenue and the federal government will get 25 per cent. Ottawa will be capped at $100 million annually with excess revenue going to the provinces and territories.

This is probably a good thing. The provinces probably need the extra money more than the feds.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8521 posts
300 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 8:52 pm

This is why I love Trudeau. He does the right thing most of the time.

And he put a cap on it while not knowing how much it will actually brings in?. What a boss. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1652 posts
849 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Ontario passes cannabis act: https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark ... -2018.html

Weed in Ontario will only be sold by the Ontario Cannabis Retail Corporation, a subsidiary of the LCBO. There will be 40 OCRC stores in Ontario in 2018, and 150 by 2020. It will cost $10 a gram. Usage will only be allowed inside private homes. You will also be allowed to grow your own for personal use.
Jun 5, 2017
550 posts
53 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
kevindurant1 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 2:06 am

And he put a cap on it while not knowing how much it will actually brings in?. What a boss. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
i disagree with trudeau doing the right thing most of the time, i find him to be incompetent and makes poor decisions that one could consider doing the wrong thing.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10039 posts
1422 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 2:06 am

Yup.. gotta give him kudos for that for taking this thing on like a boss. But he was chronic. My bosse's friend went to school with Trudeau. When Trudeau said he only smoked it a few times, one time at a cottage blah blah, this is before when it was still considered 'taboo' to smoke while he was running (which is crazy how fast this has turned around), my bosse's friend's reaction was "what?! Trudeau was dealing in university". The whole ski instructor story more than makes sense now.

In terms of black market, I have a friend who's chronic. Currently goes to a dispensary now only. I joked how who would have thought they'd see the day. He responded "I know, I had to meet people in the alleys before, go to places where you knock and they look through a peep hole type place". Said it always felt weird. Went through a stretch he was dry since his normal dealer was busted. With the dispensary, he loves that you can get selection and product knowledge on the variety. So I do think the black market is in trouble if product quality is actually there and price is competitive. Plus, opportunity to pay with credit? Win win.

Now I wonder if that 4/20 protest every year at City Hall will occur? Or will it just now be a celebratory thing?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31696 posts
8087 upvotes
GTHA
Posted by @lecale in thread http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ontario- ... s-2125283/

Street cost for cannabis lower than legal price point, Statscan finds
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e37363670/
Federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau announced a week ago that the price that the provinces and federal government are proposing for legal cannabis is $10 a gram including a federal excise tax of $1 or 10 per cent, whichever is higher.

That would make legal cannabis considerably higher than the $8.84 per gram a Statscan report released on Monday found people were willing to pay on the black market in 2015.

That study found Canada's underground cannabis trade was worth as much as $6.2-billion in 2015 – almost as much as the legal wine market. The report assumed a price range of $7.14 to $8.84 a gram to determine the market would have represented around 70 per cent to 90 per cent of the size of the $7-billion wine market in the most recent year Statscan analyzed. Meanwhile, PriceOfWeed.com, the crowdsourcing site Statscan plans to use to help it figure out how much cannabis costs on street corners, currently pegs the average gram of "high quality" dried cannabis at $7.56, based on almost 10,000 submissions over the past seven years.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5971 posts
382 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 3:55 pm
Posted by @lecale in thread http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ontario- ... s-2125283/

Street cost for cannabis lower than legal price point, Statscan finds
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/na ... e37363670/
Even if it's slightly more expensive per gram, I think the average person wanting to score weed is far, far, far more likely to head down to the local convenience store and buy it there vs some friend of friend who passed along a phone number for a drug dealer. Drug dealers driving around in cars doing deliveries are also more likely to pinch their product (i.e., sell you 1g but you only get .8g). You also have the added risk of not knowing if anything was added to the weed.

$10 / gram vs $8.84 / gram is, I think, negligible for most people. There will still of course be some people who will continue to purchase their weed from the black market, but I would hazard a guess and say the vast majority of people who want to smoke weed will buy it retail if the difference per gram is a little bit over $1.00.

When was the last time you bought homemade beer or homemade rum off a guy you've never met? Same principle applies.

I think the $10 / gram price point makes sense.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
8521 posts
300 upvotes
Octavius wrote:
Dec 19th, 2017 5:00 pm
Even if it's slightly more expensive per gram, I think the average person wanting to score weed is far, far, far more likely to head down to the local convenience store and buy it there vs some friend of friend who passed along a phone number for a drug dealer. Drug dealers driving around in cars doing deliveries are also more likely to pinch their product (i.e., sell you 1g but you only get .8g). You also have the added risk of not knowing if anything was added to the weed.

$10 / gram vs $8.84 / gram is, I think, negligible for most people. There will still of course be some people who will continue to purchase their weed from the black market, but I would hazard a guess and say the vast majority of people who want to smoke weed will buy it retail if the difference per gram is a little bit over $1.00.

When was the last time you bought homemade beer or homemade rum off a guy you've never met? Same principle applies.

I think the $10 / gram price point makes sense.
+100000

That premium is more than acceptable considering its legal and you know where its coming from and can probably find out how it was grown.

I think the only marijuana that would remain in the black market are the ones that have an inferior quality.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4458 posts
1565 upvotes
I totally don't agree with you two - I think $10/g is an ok price for an occasional user to pay but consider alcohol for a moment:

Who Drives the Alcohol Industry? Alcoholics
http://gawker.com/who-drives-the-alcoho ... 1639454291
the top 10% of heavy drinkers in America "account for well over half of the alcohol consumed in any given year."
Likewise you'll find the chronics account for the most cannabis sales and they sure as heck won't, perhaps cannot even afford to, pay $10/g. someone who is risking asthma, emphysema, COPD by heavy use sure doesn't care about safer weed.

I think there needs to be the weed equivalent of Carling beer, weed at $6-7g to successfully capture the black market. $10/g is coocoo.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)