• Sep 21st, 2017 12:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3838 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Time to hit the computer BST here and get a monster server case and make a PC stealth grow box.
You say get high, I say hello!
Banned
Apr 4, 2017
17 posts
Leery this isn't going to be an absolute nightmare for the construction industry.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1963 posts
453 upvotes
I don't understand why they allow people to grow their own. At least I hope they ban people growing from an apartment. Imagine those without smart meters, everyone is subsidizing the weed grower(s) and that not the only problem. The fire hazardous and the smell and if you are paying the electricity bill for others to grow, perhaps you may as well grow them yourselves
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7014 posts
219 upvotes
mkl38s wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 4:49 pm
I don't understand why they allow people to grow their own. At least I hope they ban people growing from an apartment. Imagine those without smart meters, everyone is subsidizing the weed grower(s) and that not the only problem. The fire hazardous and the smell and if you are paying the electricity bill for others to grow, perhaps you may as well grow them yourselves
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... bills.html

People are only allowed to grow 4 plants. Its not a big deal.
At least I hope they ban people growing from an apartment.
Tenants still have to abide by the rules set by the building if they are growing recreationally.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2071 posts
1100 upvotes
mkl38s wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 4:49 pm
I think common sense applies here. First, very few people will actually be growing. It's time-consuming, takes up space in your apartment, expensive to maintain and stinks up your home. Second, the majority of people prefer to buy from a convenient, reputable source, even if it's more expensive. You don't see very many people brewing beer, growing a garden, or even basic tasks like cooking at home or making a cup of coffee. Lastly, there will be more specific regulations as they work out the details for legislation... on top of that, condos and apartments all have rules and regulations. You cant exactly just convert your apartment into a grow op without your landlord finding out.
Sep 20, 2015
75 posts
13 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
it's disgusting for liberal party to legalize it. I guess I'll just emigrate to singapore, where you can carry 501 grams and be happy.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3823 posts
558 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 6:29 pm
I think common sense applies here. First, very few people will actually be growing. It's time-consuming, takes up space in your apartment, expensive to maintain and stinks up your home. Second, the majority of people prefer to buy from a convenient, reputable source, even if it's more expensive. You don't see very many people brewing beer, growing a garden, or even basic tasks like cooking at home or making a cup of coffee. Lastly, there will be more specific regulations as they work out the details for legislation... on top of that, condos and apartments all have rules and regulations. You cant exactly just convert your apartment into a grow op without your landlord finding out.
I think some people will grow (or try to grow) a couple of plants just for the fun of it, but they will be a minority. For example, growing a couple of plants in an Aerogarden isn't that hard.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7014 posts
219 upvotes
JustBob wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 2:53 pm
I think some people will grow (or try to grow) a couple of plants just for the fun of it, but they will be a minority. For example, growing a couple of plants in an Aerogarden isn't that hard.
Im sure ALOT of people will grow. Its not like there is a secret way to do it. I can see shops selling the whole package (seeds, instructions, all the necessary materials).

Look at this. This is nothing. Imagine the innovative things that people will come up with once this is legal.

Quality will obviously not be as good as the ones that has been babied by expert growers.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10105 posts
115 upvotes
One thing that confuses me is how people that are currently growing pot illegally in their back yard or at home, etc. with very few other skills think that this is going to be great for them.

It's not. It's going to open the market and they won't be able to compete anymore. The only thing they had going for their grow op was that they were willing to do something illegal.

Once it's legal, one of the biggest expenses - energy to grow indoors covertly - will be reduced because people will be able to grow it at scale outdoors and/or using large greenhouses as needed without worrying about hiding it away. Not being able to expose this to the sun at a large scale must be one of the biggest costs in that line of business.

So I don't think the plans of chronically unemployed people selling weed on the side to "go up North and start a grow op eh" are going to work out like they think it will.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3823 posts
558 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 6:27 pm
Im sure ALOT of people will grow. Its not like there is a secret way to do it. I can see shops selling the whole package (seeds, instructions, all the necessary materials).
No they won't, because it simply won't be worth it for the casual user.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7014 posts
219 upvotes
JustBob wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 7:24 pm
No they won't, because it simply won't be worth it for the casual user.
You are talking about casual users. There are ALOT of people that arent.

This would be perfect for rural smokers who doesnt have access to stores. People who are sick will take advantage of this(some of them already are but now the less sicker ones will have a chance to do it). You would be surprised how many people that would want to grow on their own.

Why do you think its in the legislation?. Because it was one of the most important things that smokers wanted.
Adults aged 18 and older would be allowed to grow up to four cannabis plants for each residence, with plants not to exceed one metre in height.
Remember. The legislation is for 4 plants PER household not per person. Its worth it for anyone that have space and time to grow it. You wouldnt need a huge space or alot of time to grow 4 plants.

Like I said, this will make growers more innovative. It will be so easy.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3823 posts
558 upvotes
Me: Some will grow but they will be a minority (of all users obviously)

You: ALOT of people that arent (casual users) will grow.

So... what is it you are arguing about exactly?
Apr 18, 2017
74 posts
45 upvotes
I think lots of hobbyists will grow, just like people make their own wine now.
But the majority of people won't, because just like wine there are a lot of varieties available to try.
Jan 18, 2007
170 posts
15 upvotes
qman23 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 10:01 am
I think lots of hobbyists will grow, just like people make their own wine now.
But the majority of people won't, because just like wine there are a lot of varieties available to try.
I think in order to grow at home you also need to register first which will turn a lot of people off. You also need to buy starting materials from LP's although I don't know how they'll be able to enforce it. Cities will also have a say and with bylaws the ability to have further restrictions. Some towns and cities might ban them altogether. A lot of Canada isn't okay with this.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7014 posts
219 upvotes
JustBob wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 12:41 am
Me: Some will grow but they will be a minority (of all users obviously)

You: ALOT of people that arent (casual users) will grow.

So... what is it you are arguing about exactly?
You are the one arguing here. Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy. Im simply telling you what the reality will be.

You said there arent alot of people that would be growing because of casual users. Which doesnt make sense. People will grow for many different reasons.

I guarantee you, there will be growers everywhere. Alot of people are growing right now and it is still illegal.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

kenze