Tags:
None
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
189 upvotes
Stouffville
sandeeS wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 6:01 pm
I doubt that. Its Feral pot law, not yet but soon. So they cant do This.
It's federal law but the feds have allowed the provinces to do what they want with it. That means that Ontario can make it so ONLY medical marijuana is sold, and that's what they said will happen. So you can SMOKE recreational pot here, you just can't legally buy it.
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
189 upvotes
Stouffville
AndySixx wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 6:02 pm
Undercutting the price of the black market is key to ensuring it gets gutted. Given how ridiculous taxes are in Ontario (and how they're undoubtedly slobbering all over the tax prospects of this, spending it in their heads already), I'm in doubt they will affect the black market all that much. I think the prospects are better where both taxes are lower and more private options for booze are already available, as an indicator of how it will be sold. Booze is typically 10-50% cheaper in Alberta than Ontario (if bought at the more price-competitive liquor stores i.e. Costco, Safeway, RCLS, etc.).
Colorado taught us you don't NEED to undercut the price, you just need to make the product way more accessible. Some of the Medical I buy is more expensive than the street stuff I can get, but it's easier for me to login to the internet, place an order, check out with 2% cashback using my VISA, and then receive it from Canada Post than it is for me to call up a friend, see if he has anything in stock, go to the bank, get cash, meet up with him, get my weed, go home.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2946 posts
186 upvotes
AndySixx wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 11:50 am

So I'd simply suggest legalize, not tax, and allow people to freely grow their own, just like people buying a brewing kit and brewing their own beer. That will help drive out the black market.
What? No taxes? Nooooooo. We need taxes. In Ontario we can not live without taxes. Liberal Government is based on taxes.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
189 upvotes
Stouffville
AndySixx wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 11:50 am
You make a lot of sense, but the reason for undercutting price is exactly due to accessibility. I used California as an example because it's a perfect representative of many urban regions with saturated black market that keeps prices already low. Before I levy my criticism of your post I will agree that outside urban regions in Ontario it has a great potential to benefit accessibility and thus be mutually beneficial.

OTOH, In places like California, Ontario (the GTA in particular), and so on, it's not going to affect availability at all, so people buying are weighing a lower black market price vs. higher legal market (white market) price. The choice is pretty obvious.

If the idea is to wipe out the black market, one has to compete with them, or undercut them. It's not gonna happen with typical Ontario taxes. So I'd simply suggest legalize, not tax, and allow people to freely grow their own, just like people buying a brewing kit and brewing their own beer. That will help drive out the black market.

There's this idea that accepting legalization means accepting sin taxes and such. I don't know why people are okay with it.
Tweed farms in Canada is the largest in the world. I think it's 250,000 acres of land for Medical Marijuana. But they don't grow Recreational. So the accessibility for recreational grown marijuana is there, it's just not accepted.

I think in our society Taxing it is the only way you make it happen. Most people I speak to are okay with Marijuana being taxed. $10 a joint, $7 of it going to the government is okay, it's still super easy to grow, maintain, and can be made with A LOT of money even only at $3 a joint.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3884 posts
1256 upvotes
TagYoureIt wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 1:43 pm
Clearly i'm smoking some recreational ;)

Okay so 350,000 sq ft green house, still the biggest in the world.
I'm surprised - you're right, ATM. However there are a few more operations being built in the US that will challenge Tweed's crown: https://cannabistours.com/marijuana-tra ... ons-world/

Didn't realize Snoop Dogg was a Tweed partner. Interesting stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7189 posts
239 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Sep 17th, 2017 1:54 pm
I'm surprised - you're right, ATM. However there are a few more operations being built in the US that will challenge Tweed's crown: https://cannabistours.com/marijuana-tra ... ons-world/

Didn't realize Snoop Dogg was a Tweed partner. Interesting stuff.
Yeah they got the exclusive rights to sell snoop's cannabis content/brand.
Tweed Inc., a subsidiary of Canopy, will begin selling three varieties of cannabis under the “Leafs by Snoop” brand in Canada in October, the company said in a statement. The two first announced they would work together in February, and have been developing product lines since. Snoop Dogg also markets marijuana products in Colorado under the same label.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... artnership

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/tw ... -1.3444705

Tweed is one of the companies that will most likely make a killing when this is legal.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7371 posts
922 upvotes
Toronto
Why the heck are they legalizing? Simply a $ grab w/o any care to the repercussions?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7371 posts
922 upvotes
Toronto
AndySixx wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 7:58 pm
Where have you been since 2015? Legalizing was one of the key Trudeau promises. I'd argue it's one of the main reasons Liberals even got elected.

If anything the question should be why is it almost 2018 and not yet legal?
I've been here but still perplexed why it's being legalized. Why not crack then? Yes yes supposedly it has some med benefits but ppl still get impaired and it's a health concern otherwise it would've been legal from the start.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1197 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:04 pm
I've been here but still perplexed why it's being legalized. Why not crack then? Yes yes supposedly it has some med benefits but ppl still get impaired and it's a health concern otherwise it would've been legal from the start.
Being impaired isn't justification for something being illegal. If that were the case alcohol wouldn't be legal. In fact, it makes even less sense that alcohol is legal yet weed is not. An absolute f-ton less health problems with weed versus alcohol. Night and day.

That's the logical position.

My personal position is why not cocaine? Why not fentanyl? People should have every right to destroy their own bodies as they see fit with whatever drug they feel compelled to put into themselves. When it endangers others is when it draws the line, so laws that address that crossing the line makes sense to me. If someone has already broken the law and endangered others via drugs, take away their car and license, prevent them from being able to get either. Preventing the overwhelming majority who would do these drugs and hurt nobody though.. I've yet to see how this is beneficial -- just totalitarian.
Last edited by AndySixx on Sep 18th, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7371 posts
922 upvotes
Toronto
AndySixx wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:31 pm
Being impaired isn't justification for something being illegal. If that were the case alcohol wouldn't be legal. In fact, it makes even less sense that alcohol is legal yet weed is not. An absolute f-ton less health problems with weed versus alcohol. Night and day.
I don't get the logic, something's already bad, so let's just add yet another impairment product? World's going nuts.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1197 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:33 pm
I don't get the logic, something's already bad, so let's just add yet another impairment product? World's going nuts.
It's bad to you. It's great to me. You don't like it, so it's simple, leave it alone. I have no criminal record in the US nor Canada.. why shouldn't I be allowed weed if I feel compelled? (not even addressing the medical implications yet)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7371 posts
922 upvotes
Toronto
AndySixx wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:36 pm
It's bad to you. It's great to me. You don't like it, so it's simple, leave it alone. I have no criminal record in the US nor Canada.. why shouldn't I be allowed weed if I feel compelled? (not even addressing the medical implications yet)
So it's being treated like a glass of wine now, a puff of weed?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2017
1197 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:38 pm
So it's being treated like a glass of wine now, a puff of weed?
Not even a puff. How about a hash brownie? Who is that hurting?