Tags:
None
May 22, 2016
819 posts
136 upvotes
Ontario
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 7:19 pm
Why the heck are they legalizing? Simply a $ grab w/o any care to the repercussions?
The govt needs money, money money.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2731 posts
178 upvotes
webshark wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 3:41 am
The govt needs money, money money.
So right .

I really have no issue with legalization . But I think it should be in the private hands . I'm sure within 2 to 5 years it will develop like the lcbo . Where the choice of product will be great . But till then I see many problems with choice for the people .
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4170 posts
1171 upvotes
Kingston, ON
CCBO is Ontario getting its teeth into the sales. They'll expand it later like beer/wine/cider in grocery stores.

The governments have got a balancing act right now where the feds are trying to sell legalization as making it harder for kids to purchase by replacing the black market. The problem is if there are only ~60-150 stores for a province of millions, and if it's taxed heavily, the province won't succeed in supplanting the black market. Wynne's trying to project the optics of controlled, limited access right now which may actually shoot the federal goal in the foot.

By the time this rolls out, Ontario may have a new government. It's hard to decipher what tack the Brown PCs will end up taking. They don't trust the Wynne Liberals not to screw this up, and I don't either, but they're coy on what they would do differently:
http://www.ontariopc.com/News/Details/S ... ution-Plan
Would they privatize distribution to anywhere cigarettes are currently sold, or would they take the SoCon route of limiting access even further?
Dec 15, 2009
755 posts
37 upvotes
Ontario
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:04 pm
I've been here but still perplexed why it's being legalized. Why not crack then? Yes yes supposedly it has some med benefits but ppl still get impaired and it's a health concern otherwise it would've been legal from the start.
Test this out:

First, smoke weed 3x daily for 1 week.
Next, stop smoking weed and smoke crack 3x daily for 1 week.

You will discover the answer you seek in rehab.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3999 posts
572 upvotes
Crack? Someone needs to look up "slippery slope argument".
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4170 posts
1171 upvotes
Kingston, ON
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 12:18 pm
So weed is no worse than booze?
All in all, yes. A small amount will relax you. A larger amount will impair you. Smoking it could have negative health effects, but ingesting it mitigates those. If you consider booze's short-term effects of making some people angry / prone to altercation, or long-term effects on liver, etc., cannabis is probably the less harmful choice.

It's previously been treated as a Sch II substance in Canada, below the real harmful drugs, but for inexplicable reasons it's Sch I in the US, which has impacted perception of its harm.
Jul 4, 2015
789 posts
189 upvotes
Stouffville
Mike15 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 2:24 pm
All in all, yes. A small amount will relax you. A larger amount will impair you. Smoking it could have negative health effects, but ingesting it mitigates those. If you consider booze's short-term effects of making some people angry / prone to altercation, or long-term effects on liver, etc., cannabis is probably the less harmful choice.

It's previously been treated as a Sch II substance in Canada, below the real harmful drugs, but for inexplicable reasons it's Sch I in the US, which has impacted perception of its harm.
That's one way to put it. Another way to put it is Weed, Brake dust, driving, air pollution, etc is no worse than Booze.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2416 posts
552 upvotes
Montreal
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 8:38 pm

So it's being treated like a glass of wine now, a puff of weed?
you've probably never taken a puff in your entire life if you think it's worse than a glass of wine.
Jun 5, 2017
130 posts
6 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 12:18 pm
So weed is no worse than booze?
pot is a way safer drug to consume than alcohol. easier on the body too.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
7771 posts
1252 upvotes
Edmonton
Hopefully it's taxed up the ying yang. Unfortunately I see nothing but a nightmare when it comes to the logistics of administrating, regulating, health care coverage, work related issues, impaired driving issues....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7385 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto
kenze wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 4:35 pm
you've probably never taken a puff in your entire life if you think it's worse than a glass of wine.
No, I'm a very good boy and no stoner.

Anyway, if one smokes it they can get cancer? That's not good and can't be better than wine, red of which actually has benefits.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2416 posts
552 upvotes
Montreal
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 12:47 am
No, I'm a very good boy and no stoner.

Anyway, if one smokes it they can get cancer? That's not good and can't be better than wine, red of which actually has benefits.
One puff won't turn you into a "stoner" just like one sip of wine won't turn you into an alcoholic.

There's been multiple studies on the matter and they can't say for certain.

However, the general consensus is that vaporizing it is much safer than smoking it because nothing is being burned. (It also smells a lot less this way.)

Vaping and eating it is the way to go.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7385 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto
kenze wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 4:53 am
One puff won't turn you into a "stoner" just like one sip of wine won't turn you into an alcoholic.

There's been multiple studies on the matter and they can't say for certain.

However, the general consensus is that vaporizing it is much safer than smoking it because nothing is being burned. (It also smells a lot less this way.)

Vaping and eating it is the way to go.
Hmmm, so vaping and eating is better/safer than wine?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4170 posts
1171 upvotes
Kingston, ON
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 5:09 am
Hmmm, so vaping and eating is better/safer than wine?
I'd put it on equal footing, yup.