Tags:
None
Dec 16, 2015
710 posts
301 upvotes
Canada
ysl5710 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 6:33 pm
First program being offered in Niagara College.

You will need degree in science degree or environment Program as prerequisite.

This is is guaranteed job and good pay.

Is anyone investing in marijuana stocks? Thinking of buying stocks...

http://www.niagaracollege.ca/environmen ... roduction/
How is the job guaranteed?? How much is the pay?

WEED just started rebounding in recent months...-actually almost doubling since the summer
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13918 posts
881 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 5:29 pm
Ok, so apparently weed is not as bad as d&d.
Dungeons and Dragons? Is that regulated now?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26200 posts
6060 upvotes
GTHA
Feds outline tax plan for legal weed

Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26200 posts
6060 upvotes
GTHA
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 2:17 am
If they're already federally and provincially taxing why does there need to be sales tax on top of it? Just sounds like a colossal waste of money when one can just buy from third parties and avoid the taxes. More than anything an enabler of the black market. I think after the initial few years of people paying whatever to get weed they'll realize this is a bad idea, if the intent is to bring more people to their legalized version of buying weed.
The excise taxes are paid by manufacturers.

"The federal government said it wants an excise tax on all cannabis products of C$1 (79 cents) per gram (0.04 ounce), or 10 percent of the retail price, whichever is higher. Excise taxes are paid by manufacturers."

from https://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/ ... A29N-OCATP
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5896 posts
343 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 10:37 am
The excise taxes are paid by manufacturers.

"The federal government said it wants an excise tax on all cannabis products of C$1 (79 cents) per gram (0.04 ounce), or 10 percent of the retail price, whichever is higher. Excise taxes are paid by manufacturers."

from https://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/ ... A29N-OCATP
Who will no doubt pass it along down the chain to consumers.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7189 posts
239 upvotes
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 2:17 am
If they're already federally and provincially taxing why does there need to be sales tax on top of it? Just sounds like a colossal waste of money when one can just buy from third parties and avoid the taxes. More than anything an enabler of the black market. I think after the initial few years of people paying whatever to get weed they'll realize this is a bad idea, if the intent is to bring more people to their legalized version of buying weed.
Dont know what you are talking about. For every dollar spent on legal marijuana is a dollar taken away from the black market.

There will always be illegal marijuana just like there is illegal tobacco/alcohol. We already know that this will be taxed. It all comes down to the consumers how the industry should be handled but for now smokers are not worried about taxes. They want to get it legally, they want variety and they want to know how its grown.

Taxation of marijuana is not the priority for smokers. Its the cost of legalization.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
May 8, 2009
1734 posts
453 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
kevindurant1 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:19 pm
Dont know what you are talking about. For every dollar spent on legal marijuana is a dollar taken away from the black market.

There will always be illegal marijuana just like there is illegal tobacco/alcohol. We already know that this will be taxed. It all comes down to the consumers how the industry should be handled but for now smokers are not worried about taxes. They want to get it legally, they want variety and they want to know how its grown.

Taxation of marijuana is not the priority for smokers. Its the cost of legalization.
There's a fine line. The more you regulate and tax, the more you encourage black market.

If it's the same price to the consumer, and is almost as accessible, most consumers will prefer the legal retailers.

If it's taxed too high to consumers or manufacturers, or if it's less accessible, then consumers will yet again turn to the black market.

Legalizing doesn't automatically knock out the black market. It still has to be competitive. As for tobacco, if you roll your own tobacco, you're not paying much more than black market pricing. For alcohol, if you make your own, it's cheaper than milk. There are legal ways to acquire these goods for cheap. For marijuana, the street value per weight is still higher than tobacco. Black market is also tax-free, meaning black market sellers have much lower costs and can forward the savings onto their buyers. To make things even better for the black market, once weed is legal, you can carry it legally after you bought it from your dealer. The black market transaction might be illegal, but once it's in your pocket, you'll be "in the green" (pardon the pun). This makes the black market for marijuana even easier after July 1st.

Only time will tell how successful legal retail for marijuana will be in each province.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
May 8, 2009
1734 posts
453 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:34 pm
You obviously don't understand black markets.

The novelty of legalized marijuana will wear off and people will demand it cheaper. Unless the government eases on the taxes, due to lax growing/distribution rules, that void will be filled on the black market.

This is really Micro 101.
+1

This summarizes my previous post.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7189 posts
239 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:32 pm
There's a fine line. The more you regulate and tax, the more you encourage black market.

If it's the same price to the consumer, and is almost as accessible, most consumers will prefer the legal retailers.

If it's taxed too high to consumers or manufacturers, or if it's less accessible, then consumers will yet again turn to the black market.

Legalizing doesn't automatically knock out the black market. It still has to be competitive. As for tobacco, if you roll your own tobacco, you're not paying much more than black market pricing. For alcohol, if you make your own, it's cheaper than milk. There are legal ways to acquire these goods for cheap. For marijuana, the street value per weight is still higher than tobacco. Black market is also tax-free, meaning black market sellers have much lower costs and can forward the savings onto their buyers. To make things even better for the black market, once weed is legal, you can carry it legally after you bought it from your dealer. The black market transaction might be illegal, but once it's in your pocket, you'll be "in the green" (pardon the pun). This makes the black market for marijuana even easier after July 1st.

Only time will tell how successful legal retail for marijuana will be in each province.
The more you regulate and tax, the more you encourage black market.
That is not true at all. Maple syrup is taxed and heavily regulated. Black market is minimal.

It all comes down to the product and the consumers. Marijuana is taxed heavily in Colorado. Government and Consumers are happy. And remember this is just a state. Its not legal federally. Ask them if they want to go back to the old way. They are all happy. Government doesnt want to lose the newly found revenue and consumers get to buy what they want, when they want stress free.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... 00-million

Like I said. Black market will always exist. That is just the way the world works.

You also have to remember that the price of illegal weed is ALREADY inflated due to supply and demand. The only thing the government is doing is pretty much take money out of their pockets.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7189 posts
239 upvotes
AndySixx wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 10:34 pm
You obviously don't understand black markets.

The novelty of legalized marijuana will wear off and people will demand it cheaper. Unless the government eases on the taxes, due to lax growing/distribution rules, that void will be filled on the black market.

This is really Micro 101.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/04/23 ... ra-dnt.cnn
http://gazette.com/state-of-marijuana/m ... ack-market

Just wait though until the fact that the high costs due to taxes hit the poorest the hardest comes to their beloved MSM, then the social justice warriors might change their tune.
I think its you who doesnt understand black markets.

THERE WILL ALWAYS BE BLACK MARKET FOR MARIJUANA.

Even if there was minimal tax on weed. Marijuana will ALWAYS be sold illegally. There is no way the legal market can compete with a mexican brick(probably the cheapest weed in the US). The best thing it can do is take a chunk of their sales.
May 8, 2009
1734 posts
453 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
kevindurant1 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:06 pm
THERE WILL ALWAYS BE BLACK MARKET FOR MARIJUANA.
I think that's something we can all agree upon.

My understanding of what the government is trying to achieve is to get rid of the marijuana black market. Especially given that there would still be big sanctions on the dealers.

Given that the government would like this to be heavily taxed and won't have many locations to start (only 150 in Ontario), that means accessibility will be limited, and pricing would be uncompetitive.

Sell weed tax-free for a year, say at $5 per gram, and that should get the dealers out of marijuana industry. After that, start increasing tax slowly (raise it by $1 per gram every year, for five years). By the time it reaches $10 per gram, black market supply will be substantially reduced. Sell it legally in all places that sell tobacco, and no one will want black market weed. Those who have their own plants at home won't have enough plants to supply black market dealers, even if it were profitable.

Basically, looks like the governments don't have the right strategy so far to tackle the black market.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7189 posts
239 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:26 pm
I think that's something we can all agree upon.

My understanding of what the government is trying to achieve is to get rid of the marijuana black market. Especially given that there would still be big sanctions on the dealers.

Sell weed tax-free for a year, say at $5 per gram, and that should get the dealers out of marijuana industry. After that, start increasing tax slowly (raise it by $1 per gram every year, for five years). By the time it reaches $10 per gram, black market supply will be substantially reduced. Sell it legally in all places that sell tobacco, and no one will want black market weed. Those who have their own plants at home won't have enough plants to supply black market dealers, even if it were profitable.

Basically, looks like the governments don't have the right strategy so far to tackle the black market.
Well the government is the government. They are politicians. What they say should ALWAYS be taken with a grain of salt.

At the end of the day, what they are doing is good for everyone. Liberals are doing a great thing here. We are the first country to EVER do this. Legalization WITH supply.
Given that the government would like this to be heavily taxed and won't have many locations to start (only 150 in Ontario), that means accessibility will be limited, and pricing would be uncompetitive.
Online sales will be legal. There are Canada Post nationwide. I highly doubt accessibility will be an issue. Major cities, suburb and most rural areas will be covered. Pretty much most canadians.
For every dollar spent legally is a dollar taken from the black market. And IF people are allowed to grow that will take more sales away from them. Cant get anymore effective than that.

The only thing left in the black market are the really cheap and nasty weed. Whoever buy this type of stuff is really really broke. Not even worth to go after when fentanyl is around the corner.

I hope you guys realize that millions of smokers worldwide will be jealous of us. Smiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With Sunglasses. We are literally going to be living the smokers dream.
May 8, 2009
1734 posts
453 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
kevindurant1 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:56 pm

At the end of the day, what they are doing is good for everyone. Liberals are doing a great thing here. We are the first country to EVER do this. Legalization WITH supply.

I hope you guys realize that millions of smokers worldwide will be jealous of us. Smiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With SunglassesSmiling Face With Sunglasses. We are literally going to be living the smokers dream.
Lolz. The "with supply" is a government monopoly. The legal status alone is enough to make things easier for the black market.

You say Liberals are doing a great thing? Can you predict the effects this will have on Canada? Only time will tell. Granted I don't foresee the Tories ever reversing this, but I don't see this as a "great thing". It just makes smoking weed legal in private homes, and you can carry just enough to go to your buddy's place and smoke up there.

As for jealousy, I'm sure stoners overseas are happy to be smoking up overseas, and probably enjoy nicer weather than we do. I don't think legal consumption and supply will make stoners abroad want to move to Canada.

As for a "smoker's dream", for non-smokers, I don't see how this is much of a dream.

@kevindurant1 is there anything the Grits ever do, or have done, that you didn't love and support?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7189 posts
239 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:20 am
Lolz. The "with supply" is a government monopoly. The legal status alone is enough to make things easier for the black market.

You say Liberals are doing a great thing? Can you predict the effects this will have on Canada? Only time will tell. Granted I don't foresee the Tories ever reversing this, but I don't see this as a "great thing". It just makes smoking weed legal in private homes, and you can carry just enough to go to your buddy's place and smoke up there.

As for jealousy, I'm sure stoners overseas are happy to be smoking up overseas, and probably enjoy nicer weather than we do. I don't think legal consumption and supply will make stoners abroad want to move to Canada.

As for a "smoker's dream", for non-smokers, I don't see how this is much of a dream.

@kevindurant1 is there anything the Grits ever do, or have done, that you didn't love and support?
They are doing a great thing. No more criminal record just for smoking. People can buy the quality they want. Some people who smoke suffer from pain and other ailments but they couldnt get medical marijuana before. This will be perfect for them. Some of them prefer cannabis than codiene.
I'm sure stoners overseas are happy to be smoking up overseas
Granted I don't foresee the Tories ever reversing this, but I don't see this as a "great thing".

You just have to ask people who smoke and use marijuana medically. You will see. We will be the first country to ever do this. Conservatives were running negative ads last election and they were hinting at stiff penalties on people who smoke.
is there anything the Grits ever do, or have done, that you didn't love and support?
Whats a grit?. Liberals?. Yeah. I dont like their support for TPP and C-51 and their continued support for war in the middle east. I am not loyal to any party. I vote NDP and Liberal. Only thing I hate are the Conservatives.