None
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3840 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
poleman wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 12:45 pm
I'm relieved that the BC government is bringing in legislation that landlords can prohibit tenants from growing marijuana in their suites.
I already have a similar clause in my suites contract and this reinforces it.
HA give me a raspberry pi and old massive server case. And I can build a stealth grow box that looks like and acts like a computer. With ZERO smell, cheap ikea storage cabinets also serve well for stealth grows. An innocent looking two drawer filing cabinet, serves as grow box. Just google 16oz party cup challenge and see what can be done with micro grows.
You say get high, I say hello!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30711 posts
7571 upvotes
GTHA
@peano or @Redmask, please update title...

Recreational marijuana legalization delayed in Canada
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... a-53128773
Canadians will have to wait until at least early August or later to legally purchase recreational marijuana.

As recently as last week, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government was insisting it was on track for legalization in July.

But given a new Senate timetable to pass the legislation, Health Minister Ginette Petitpas Taylor conceded Thursday it won't be done in July.

Petitpas Taylor reiterated that provincial and territorial governments need eight to 12 weeks following senate passage and royal assent to prepare for retail sales. That puts it in August and possibly not until a month later.

Legalization would make Canada the second country to have nationwide legalization, after Uruguay.

Each province in Canada is coming up with rules for the sale of recreational pot.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4236 posts
1464 upvotes
Meanwhile: StatsCan is preparing to figure how much of the black market they are capturing through getting down and dirty in the sewers; and users are asked to self-report what kind of prices they are paying for bud across Canada (statsCannabis https://surveys-enquetes.statcan.gc.ca/cannabis/ )

Statistics Canada looking down the drain to determine levels of pot consumption
Waste water would be collected over the course of one week every month for at least one year
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/statist ... -1.4534673
Statistics Canada will spend up to $600,000 a year for a contractor to regularly test waste water from 15 to 20 municipalities across the country for traces of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, and other drugs.

The survey could be the best way to collect precise data on the amount of pot Canadians consume, according to Anthony Peluso, an assistant director at Statistics Canada.
StatsCan uses crowdsourcing to collect data on pot prices
Online initiative aims to get better picture of black market pricing before cannabis becomes legal in July
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/statsca ... -1.4510018
"Tell us about your last purchase of dried cannabis — submissions are anonymous!" reads the call for participants."Your data is protected."
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1459 posts
422 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 9:40 pm
“The date will not be July 1, I can assure you of that,” the prime minister told Quebec’s TVA network. “I don’t know where that date came from.”

from https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... -says.html
It's quite understandable that Prime Minister Fancy Sox doesn't have a clue where that date came from, but even his CBC mouthpiece is aware of it.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal ... -1.4041902
The Liberal government will announce legislation next month that will legalize marijuana in Canada by July 1, 2018.

And reference to Bill C-45:
The Liberal Party of Canada tabled bill c-45, "An Act respecting cannabis" which was put forward to Parliament on April 13, 2017 with the intent of legalizing recreational use of Cannabis by July 1, 2018.[71] Bill C-45, was in the Parliamentary process in late August 2017.[72] Meetings were to be held September 11–15, 2017 and a report was expected by parliament by the end of September.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4860 posts
1494 upvotes
Kingston, ON
poleman wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 9:35 pm
Another broken promise by Prime Minister Fancy Sox.
Conservative Senators are holding up the bill. Government agreed to give them an inch (1-2 months) so they don't delay a mile (the 1 year some of them are calling for). Because of that, on-sale date is going to be after July 1.

I don't know how the opposition can both call for delay, succeed in getting a delay, and then call it a broken promise at the same time. They're the ones trying to postpone it.
Jan 18, 2007
208 posts
29 upvotes
Second reading this afternoon in the Senate. Some are predicting a close vote but I doubt this runaway train can be derailed.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30711 posts
7571 upvotes
GTHA
mainoffender wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 4:31 pm
Second reading this afternoon in the Senate. Some are predicting a close vote but I doubt this runaway train can be derailed.
"Yeas: 44 Nays: 29"

Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
3146 posts
358 upvotes
Scarborough
Bunch of scumbags the conjobs. Legalize weed already, ram it through.
Mar 22, 2018
20 posts
2 upvotes
Guess that a country is always going to jump on any chance it can get to increase it's overall tax dollars, be it in guns, alcohol, tobacco or drugs.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5962 posts
366 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 12:45 pm
I'm relieved that the BC government is bringing in legislation that landlords can prohibit tenants from growing marijuana in their suites.
I already have a similar clause in my suites contract and this reinforces it.
I wouldn't be relieved if I were you. The BC government's law could be unenforceable.

The federal government explicitly allows up to 4 marijuana plants to be grown at home pursuant to this legislation. Presumably, the legislation does NOT set out how that grow op is to occur (I haven't read the legislation, but I'd be surprised if my guess isn't correct). The provinces might be permitted to enact restrictions setting out how the grow op can occur within the residence (i.e., in the basement, in a sealed off locked room, with sufficient ventilation and lighting, on its own circuit, and with mandatory mold testing every six months), but I question whether they can go further than that.

There's a legal doctrine called "federal paramountcy". According to the Supreme Court of Canada "under this doctrine, the federal law prevails when there is a genuine inconsistency between federal and provincial legislation, that is, when the operational effects of provincial legislation are incompatible with federal legislation". Any province that attempts to or actually does pass a law saying people cannot grow marijuana in their residence (which would include any residence they rent from someone) when there's a federal law saying people can grow marijuana in their residence could result in the provincial law being declared of no force or effect; where there is a direct conflict between the two laws such that they cannot both co-exist without infringing the other, the federal law prevails and governs over the provincial law.

Source: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/scc/doc/20 ... ultIndex=1

You might be permitted to put in your rental contract a condition prohibiting people from growing marijuana in the home you are renting out, but you'd run the risk of a human rights complaint being filed against you. Your tenant might be (either at the time of signing or afterwards during the lease) a medical marijuana smoker and prohibiting them from growing their marijuana in their residence (their medicine) could be considered to be discriminatory.

As with all matters, speak to a lawyer before considering any legal action against anyone and before having a contract executed with a prospective tenant. The above is not legal advice in any way, shape, or form, and should not be relied upon as such in any way by anyone. This is just a discussion about the topic with differing viewpoints; nothing more.