None
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10333 posts
901 upvotes
Vancouver

Marine Land photos?

I haven't been there in ages but am already looking forward to going next spring/summer!

Has anyone got photographs from there? I hear lots of talks about zoos, but what about places like this? :(

For those of you that have gone,
1) Post your photos!
2) Any tips about shooting the animals/performances?
17 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12215 posts
121 upvotes
I don't trust taking my camera to where there's a chance of being splashed.
WTB: A Dance With Dragons from A Song of Ice and Fire
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21294 posts
2126 upvotes
originalnutta wrote:
Dec 6th, 2009 6:42 pm
I don't trust taking my camera to where there's a chance of being splashed.
Sealed lenses and bodies are the way to go.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4902 posts
321 upvotes
Or you could just stand further back...
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1597 posts
127 upvotes
they have an area where you can feed the belugas, they look at you weird when you start taking your own pictures of it, someone looked like they were going to talk to me before I left. There is quite a variety of things to take pictures of, it is neat. A couple of years ago you could get a season pass for $5 more then a regular pass, handy if you are close by or stayin g the weekend
Apr 28, 2007
107 posts
5 upvotes
Beamsville
I have some wonderful photos of the deer with my young son. IF you go real early in the season the deer are crazy for the food and will swarm and climb on top of one another to get the pellets and the cone they come in. I believe it was the first weekend the park opened that year. I always bring my D70 with a 18-70mm attached. Sometimes a longer reach would be nice but 80-200 2.8 is just too awkward to carry around in crowds and you can get reasonably close to most of the land animals anyways. The splash areas are kind of defined around the beluga tank so no real fear of splahing during picture taking. I have shot the sea lion show but even with big glass attached you are a little too far away for great close-ups.

Pat.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1730 posts
259 upvotes
its a great place to take the family or a gf :P

some from when i went this summer. d3 + 24-120 vr

Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10333 posts
901 upvotes
Vancouver
Were you guys using any filters on your shots to avoid water reflections?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24310 posts
1565 upvotes
Markham, ON
sorry to be party pooper...if anyone cares ...watch "the Cove" :o
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1730 posts
259 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 1:59 pm
Were you guys using any filters on your shots to avoid water reflections?
nope.
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5180 posts
272 upvotes
Went to Marine Land for the first time this year. Will never go back there again. The animals are quite abused and their funds are really low. The deer park lacked any green grass and the deers themselves had some serious skin issues. Half of their aquarium share the same water and there was a virus which spread throughout. The goldfish lost all their scales and a lot of them had hole virus on their sides. It was quite sickening to see. However, here are some pictures while we were there. Sorry for being a downer.

This space for rent.
Mar 13, 2005
335 posts
38 upvotes
GunnerX wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 2:53 pm
Went to Marine Land for the first time this year. Will never go back there again. The animals are quite abused and their funds are really low. The deer park lacked any green grass and the deers themselves had some serious skin issues. Half of their aquarium share the same water and there was a virus which spread throughout. The goldfish lost all their scales and a lot of them had hole virus on their sides. It was quite sickening to see. However, here are some pictures while we were there. Sorry for being a downer.
I would agree somewhat. That bear exhibit was a little disturbing, with people throwing food at them. And the bears looked kinda mangy.