Travel

Which maritime province for 4 days in may?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2018 6:46 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9123 posts
1770 upvotes
gross morne, fly into deer lake, do gross morn and take 1 day and travel up to the Vikings area.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8646 posts
796 upvotes
We are doing 11 days this summer (end of Aug into Sept). Won't be able to truly spend days wandering but will be able to hit where we plan to go. Driving all around from Moncton to PEI to Cape Breton to Halifax one way.

2 Day in Moncton/Hopewell Rocks - Kayaking
2 Days in PEI/Charlottetown - Anne of Green Gables + Beaches
4 Days in Cape Breton = Cabot Trail (Hiking etc)
2 Days in Halifax - Sightseeing
Last edited by speedyforme on Feb 13th, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 5, 2014
119 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
If you guys are outdoorsy people that love to hike and camp, I would suggest the Bay of Fundy area. Fundy National Park is great and has some great hiking (Coastal trail, Upper Salmon River), including beautiful waterfalls. Point Wolfe is also beautiful. Lots of car camping or backcountry camping opportunities as well. Make sure to stop by Kelly's Bakery in Alma to have some of their sticky buns.

If you are driving to Fundy National Park from Moncton, don't forget to stop by the Hopewell Rocks (check the tides in advanced to be there at low tide). You may also wish to take the scenic detour in the Park and visit Cape Enrage (the fork is at Riverside Albert).

Even more remote and very nice is the Nova Scotia side of the Bay of Fundy. Cape Chignecto Provincial Park is far less traveled than Fundy National Park and has some great hiking and backpacking opportunities. If you are driving to Cape Chignecto check out the Parrsboro area and the fossils in Joggins.

I agree that 4 days will be short regardless of where you end up going.
Nov 5, 2014
119 posts
45 upvotes
Ottawa
Oh and keep in mind that spring lasts a long time in the Maritimes. There could still be some snow or lots of mud in the trails in May. Most seasonal tourist places will be closed until Victoria day weekend.
Nov 24, 2008
307 posts
128 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
politicalcanuck wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:02 pm
Oh and keep in mind that spring lasts a long time in the Maritimes. There could still be some snow or lots of mud in the trails in May. Most seasonal tourist places will be closed until Victoria day weekend.
This. People forget that this is the Maritimes and early May, weatherwise is, well.....iffy. And, as much as I love St. John's, the weather there is even more...iffy. As you don't have a lot of time and since attractions may or may not be open, I suggest keeping the tour within a smaller area. Fly into Halifax, check out the regular sights, eat well and take short drives out to Peggys Cove, tidal bore watching in Truro, a short hike perhaps in Blomidon. If the weather is crappy, then you have plenty of museums and other attractions in Halifax with the option for short drives to other museums like the Fisheries Museum in Lunenburg and sight-see on the way (Chester, Mahone Bay, etc.) The shore highway is lovely.
Oct 23, 2017
427 posts
196 upvotes
GTA West
TartanToed wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 3:22 pm
This. People forget that this is the Maritimes and early May, weatherwise is, well.....iffy. And, as much as I love St. John's, the weather there is even more...iffy. As you don't have a lot of time and since attractions may or may not be open, I suggest keeping the tour within a smaller area. Fly into Halifax, check out the regular sights, eat well and take short drives out to Peggys Cove, tidal bore watching in Truro, a short hike perhaps in Blomidon. If the weather is crappy, then you have plenty of museums and other attractions in Halifax with the option for short drives to other museums like the Fisheries Museum in Lunenburg and sight-see on the way (Chester, Mahone Bay, etc.) The shore highway is lovely.
Really excellent advice. We went in early June and the whole of the Maritimes were drenched with rain the whole time. But we could do some of the mentioned attractions by staying in Halifax and doing day trips, before cutting our losses and flying home. There is lots of interesting stuff down by the harbour and we liked the big indoor market there.

PS: Don't be the annual casualty at Peggy's cove by taking that selfie too close to the water and being licked off the rocks by a rogue wave!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5568 posts
3156 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
OP...

Hope you come back and tell us what area you decide upon, so we all can help you even more... Canada’s Maritimes are GORGEOUS with lots to offer. It’s a place once you visit & fall in love with you’ll return to explore time & time again. We visit for a few weeks every 3 to 5 years.
[OP]
Dec 3, 2008
368 posts
34 upvotes
Wow this thread gained a lot of traction yesterday!

The spring/cooler weather won't bother us too much. We have rain and cold gear - also pretty used to being outside in sketchy weather. We did Iceland in November and stayed in a tent for 9 days.
I think we are leaning towards Halifax area or possibly Sydney.

PointsHubby wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:16 pm
OP...

Hope you come back and tell us what area you decide upon, so we all can help you even more... Canada’s Maritimes are GORGEOUS with lots to offer. It’s a place once you visit & fall in love with you’ll return to explore time & time again. We visit for a few weeks every 3 to 5 years.
I will definitely come back once we've picked a city/area we will be visiting. I've read through the suggestions in this thread and there is just so much to cover in 4 days, makes it hard to decide where to go.
Mar 24, 2008
190 posts
49 upvotes
Halifax
I agree with the suggestions for Halifax, given the time of year and how you only have four days to work with. I live in the area and there's enough to see and do around here to keep you busy over a long weekend, plus a good number of interesting places no more than an hour or two away if you decide to take a day trip. Some great coastal hiking to do as well. Good luck with your planning!
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3908 posts
1106 upvotes
Moncton
Cabot Trail ending in Louisbourgh (or start with Louisbourgh). May can be bone chillingly cold in all of Atlantic Canada. I’ve gone to Cuba in May to get a break from the cold. That said, last May I went swimming at Parlee beech on a freakishly warm day. Although people on the beach laughed at me. And in their defence, the salt water was almost frozen. Go as late in May as you can, but be forewarned the weather could still be miserable.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Jul 15, 2003
390 posts
130 upvotes
I live in Halifax so please feel free to contact me with any questions that pop up.

There are some great hiking trails near the city. While the cabot trail is amazing, you won't be able to do that and anything else within your 4 days.

Think of some of the historical things you enjoy seeing and I can make recommendations.