Travel

Maritimes Provinces - What Sites to really see in 7 days?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2015 5:24 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4648 posts
1680 upvotes
West Side GTA

Maritimes Provinces - What Sites to really see in 7 days?

I'll be treking from Quebec City to Moncton and will have 7 days to trek around from Moncton (will have a rental car). I want to spend probably 2 days in Charlottetown & Halifax each, what about the other 3 days? Suggestions? More into sites and "doing the tourist thing" than backpacking/adventuring into the wilderness type of deal :P (will be in Early August if that matters and no kids purely adult trip).

Anythings as a MUST DO while I'm there?

Thanks for any suggestions.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Isn't Moncton sort of 1/2 way b/w Halifax and Charlottetown?

If so, I'd HIGHLY suggest doing a detour to Hopewell Rocks at the Bay of Fundy. Highest tides in the world!
http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/

You can even kayak when the tide comes in. That's one thing I wish I'd have been able to do.

Besides that, I'd say Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg are worth checking out. Lunenburg is also a UNESCO site and good for an afternoon. Plus you'll be likely to see the Bluenose.
I've heard Louisburg is nice as well but I've never been myself.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4648 posts
1680 upvotes
West Side GTA
Thanks for the tips, the above definintely has me interested and will probably do the kayaking part as i enjoyed the groupon kayaking that I did here in Toronto awhile back :)

Any other suggestions? Aren't there any maritimers that wanna chime in for us Torontonians who are all work no play ? :P (sad but true lol).
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
-=phelan=- wrote: Thanks for the tips, the above definintely has me interested and will probably do the kayaking part as i enjoyed the groupon kayaking that I did here in Toronto awhile back :)

Any other suggestions? Aren't there any maritimers that wanna chime in for us Torontonians who are all work no play ? :P (sad but true lol).
It's only like that if you let it be that way.
I sure as hell don't.

And don't forget the lobster.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Edit: OOPS-posted and then recalled you're already spending 2 days in PEI

Moncton is about a 30 minute drive from Hopewell Rocks, its a National Park with free parking and about $9 adult entrance fee. Well worth it, there are tide tables posted online so you can time your visit to see the tide come in.
Magnetic hill is in the area also.
From Moncton you could do a day trip to PEI, the Confederation Bridge is about 45 minutes away...10 minutes across and your in PEI. You can drive across to North side of the island to Anne of Green Gables area in about an hour-nice scenery. Then return through Charlletown, a good day trip. The bridge toll is $45 coming back, that was a surprise.
Its a nice drive from Quebec City to Moncton, we weren't aware how mountainous that drive is. Gas up in Edmunston as soon as you enter NB to save 12 cents litre compared to Quebec at Grey Rocks....try the Lobster Rolls at The Pirate which are cheap and really good:
https://www.google.ca/maps/search/grey+ ... .303623,8z
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Edit: OOPS-posted and then recalled you're already spending 2 days in PEI

Moncton is about a 30 minute drive from Hopewell Rocks, its a National Park with free parking and about $9 adult entrance fee. Well worth it, there are tide tables posted online so you can time your visit to see the tide come in.
Magnetic hill is in the area also.
From Moncton you could do a day trip to PEI, the Confederation Bridge is about 45 minutes away...10 minutes across and your in PEI. You can drive across to North side of the island to Anne of Green Gables area in about an hour-nice scenery. Then return through Charlletown, a good day trip. The bridge toll is $45 coming back, that was a surprise.
Its a nice drive from Quebec City to Moncton, we weren't aware how mountainous that drive is. Gas up in Edmunston as soon as you enter NB to save 12 cents litre compared to Quebec at Grey Rocks....try the Lobster Rolls at The Pirate which are cheap and really good:
https://www.google.ca/maps/search/grey+ ... .303623,8z
Hopewell Rocks is well worth it. Magnetic Hill is bogus. PEI has great scenery, would definitely go again if I had the chance.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3692 posts
273 upvotes
I'd recommend going as far as Cape Breton and then work your way back to see how much time you have. Having travelled most of the region, I'd rate Cape Breton #1, Hopewell Rocks #2 and PEI #3. We're outdoorsy people though, so that could drastically change your outlook.

Halifax is a great city, but it's still a city. The citadel is cool, but can't compete with Louisburg. One big surprise in Halifax was Pier 21, but that could be dependent on your family background.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
+1
Cabot trail/ cape Breton island
Peggy's cove
lunenburg/ bluenose
hopewell rocks/flower pots/ bay of fundy

Take confederation bridge one way and the ferry the other way
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1770 posts
673 upvotes
Bedford
There is not a whole lot in Moncton , so Hopewell rocks and Fundy National Park are worth the ride. Shediac beach is quite nice. Louisburg is well worth the drive, but a bit out of the way. You might want to take route 4 thru St. Peters , Cape Breton, on the way to Louisburg, and take the Cabot Trail route on return. Check your dates to see if there are any festivals etc, on the go. Halifax waterfront and Pier 21 and great to see. Peggys Cove and south Shore to Chester ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/longlaket ... 755556260/ ) are worth the ride.

You probably should take the bridge to PEI and return via Pictou ferry. No problem to kill a week in the Maritime provinces.
Apr 7, 2009
107 posts
37 upvotes
PEI
l69norm wrote: +1
Cabot trail/ cape Breton island
Peggy's cove
lunenburg/ bluenose
hopewell rocks/flower pots/ bay of fundy

Take confederation bridge one way and the ferry the other way
Take the ferry to PEI
Take the bridge off the Island (I live in PEI)

You only pay to leave the Island
Ferry is 70.00 for a standard size car
Bridge is 45.00

Ferry schedule From Caribou (NS) to Wood Islands (PEI):

June 26 – Sept. 7 - 8:00, 9:30, 11:15, 13:00, 14:45, 16:30, 18:15, 20:00, 21:30

Save where you can, cause it isn't cheap here!
If you are outdoorsy, and you are coming by ferry (that is in Kings county, so much closer than going from Charlottetown) perhaps:
Basin Head beach http://www.basinhead.com/singing-sands.html
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
Alexander Keiths Brewery tour in Halifax. I loved any pizza from there.

Shediac just a bit north of Moncton. Lobster capital where you could take a picture with a giant lobster.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4648 posts
1680 upvotes
West Side GTA
Anyone want to recommend where to dine for the following (can be lunch/dinner)

Lobsters
Crab
Oysters
Clams
Scallops

What's the going price now for Lobster/lb anyways in the area?

(maybe a local maritimer can chime in with their favourites) :) I'm looking at doing this route

QC - Moncton - Charlottetown > Ferry across (Wood Island to Caribou) > Halifax.

Oh and when's the best time to go to hopewell rock dawn or dusk? I assume probably early morning due to the kid factors (?)

Thanks!
Apr 7, 2009
107 posts
37 upvotes
PEI
This place is wonderful... but freaking expensive!!

http://fishermanswharf.ca/ (The unlimited salad bar is 23.00!) But I have not seen anything like it anywhere else

Going price... if you can find someone bringing them in off a boat, they will sell them (canners - the smaller ones) for $5.00 per pound approx... they don't have scales and usually err on the side of generosity
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1988 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
in Halifax, go to the waterfront... lots happening, a big tourist attraction
peggy's cove
lunenburg
it's beautiful in the Maritimes - enjoy!!
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
13166 posts
3738 upvotes
Mississauga
If you can do it, drive around the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island. It's one of the world's great drives.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
at1212b wrote: Alexander Keiths Brewery tour in Halifax. I loved any pizza from there.

Shediac just a bit north of Moncton. Lobster capital where you could take a picture with a giant lobster.
Totally forgot about Keiths! OMG!
It's really good and this is coming from a non-beer fan. Well worth the admission. I think $10 or so tops? I went 7yrs ago so can't remember exactly.

And I'll also mention having Cows ice cream. Rated as some of the best ice cream in the world which IMO, is no lie. It's soo damn good!
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
THE highlight id the region is the Cabot Trail. Go there before they ***** it up with "Mother Canada".

Forget Moncton, not much there to see. Hopewell Rocks is a good idea, though. And Peggy's Cove near Halifax. But, really, don't miss the Cabot Trail. I've been twice this year already.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
IceBlueShoes wrote: Totally forgot about Keiths! OMG!
It's really good and this is coming from a non-beer fan. Well worth the admission. I think $10 or so tops? I went 7yrs ago so can't remember exactly.

And I'll also mention having Cows ice cream. Rated as some of the best ice cream in the world which IMO, is no lie. It's soo damn good!
Yes, I went to the Keiths brewery about 9 years ago (in 2006) and just the overall experience and price was great. Memorable to this day. The time era outfits and presentation was good. And beer fresh from the keg at the end of the tour was one of the best beers I've had. Too bad it's not as good or fresh elsewhere. Hopefully they've kept the quality and value up.

I can only imagine how good the ice cream is. Basic food treats there are amazing. Maybe it's the local supplies or ingredients (or water) that make food and treats we know that much better. Maybe the source of the dairy for the cheese and bread of the pizza is the same or close. My two buddies agreed it was the best pizza we had too.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2992 upvotes
-=phelan=- wrote: Anyone want to recommend where to dine for the following (can be lunch/dinner)

Lobsters
Crab
Oysters
Clams
Scallops

What's the going price now for Lobster/lb anyways in the area?

(maybe a local maritimer can chime in with their favourites) :) I'm looking at doing this route

QC - Moncton - Charlottetown > Ferry across (Wood Island to Caribou) > Halifax.

Oh and when's the best time to go to hopewell rock dawn or dusk? I assume probably early morning due to the kid factors (?)

Thanks!
Google "PEI lobster suppers". You can't go wrong. Been to a couple of them there. New Glasgow has a good one.