Automotive

In market for a 2015 BMW X5, any advice?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2018 8:18 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 12, 2013
23 posts
6 upvotes

In market for a 2015 BMW X5, any advice?

This will be my first bimmer, I’m shopping for a 2015 35i within 80k km and between $40,000 to $50,000.

Also I found mixed sources about maintenance cost for X5. I don’t know how much I should expect for regular maintenance service. I’m planning to diy oil change, brake job and some other minor stuff.

I estimated $1000 a year for maintenance cost for the next 5 years and assume resell value is going to be at $15,000 after 5 years, which gives me roughly $700/month cost of ownership for 5 years.

Surprisingly there’s almost none CPO for this 4 yo suv. Is it because there’s some well known issue with this model?

A few BMW dealers I contacted (for listings at low $40k tag) said there’s no room for price negotiation, which’s h I found very surprising. I haven’t been in the market for a long time I thought used car normally has about 20% markup?

I’m going to test drive two X5 from two different dealers this weekend, is there anything I should look out for?

They are all BMW dealers claiming they did inspection already, so is PPI still necessary? Given that these two still have a few months balance of warranty left on them.

If they can print out the service log, maybe I can ask for some service done like oil change or brake service if they are firm on the price?
Last edited by saturday2k on Oct 12th, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
66 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4505 posts
1197 upvotes
Winnipeg
With all the money you will lose...just lease.
Fyi.. new brakes cost around 1500
[OP]
Sep 12, 2013
23 posts
6 upvotes
airmail wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:17 am
With all the money you will lose...just lease
Can you explain more?

Lease is around $1100/m after tax for four years. So total of $51,000ish for 4 years comparing with $42,000ish owning for 5 years which is equivalent to $700/m
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4459 posts
676 upvotes
Montreal
1k per yr for maintenance? Doesn't BMW charge 300 per oil change?

You wouldn't be maintaining a Corolla here so leasing is probably the best way to go.
Last edited by cn_habs on Oct 13th, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8826 posts
1022 upvotes
Toronto
Lease you get the latest BMW

Also all servicing is already included.

Then your left over money go invest it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8826 posts
1022 upvotes
Toronto
BTW, if you are spending that much, you may wanna get the Tesla Model 3 . I know it isn't an SUV but every Model 3 owner loves it. Also cheaper in the long run compared to the BMW.

Also performance would beat the X5 anyways. Their quality issues seems to be fixed now, my friends got their model 3 dual motor and found no issues. Believe me, he examined every inch of it. He also owns a Model S. If Tesla was that bad, he wouldn't have bought a 2nd one.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
10298 posts
5284 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rfdrfd wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:46 am
BTW, if you are spending that much, you may wanna get the Tesla Model 3 . I know it isn't an SUV but every Model 3 owner loves it. Also cheaper in the long run compared to the BMW.

Also performance would beat the X5 anyways. Their quality issues seems to be fixed now, my friends got their model 3 dual motor and found no issues. Believe me, he examined every inch of it. He also owns a Model S. If Tesla was that bad, he wouldn't have bought a 2nd one.
We seriously need the downvote button back.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1089 posts
276 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:54 am
We seriously need the downvote button back.
Haha. Desperate times call for desperate measures?

Last chance ..... it's now or ...... Never for a Tesla.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3279 posts
713 upvotes
Home
rfdrfd wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:46 am

Orange to orange, please. If he wants to buy an X5, he's probably not interested in a Civic sized sedan.
Koodo $40 6GB
Sep 4, 2005
914 posts
49 upvotes
Suggesting a Tesla seems to be the new "suggesting a Corolla" for every car buying thread.

FWIW, BMW had rolled back their CPO warranty big time. It used to be the industry standard 6 yr/160km warranty MOSTLY bumper to bumper (from the first in service date) and now it’s 1 year / unlimited km POWERTRAIN warranty from the date of purchase.

I don’t know if it’s an indication that it was costing them too much money??
Aug 13, 2015
98 posts
33 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
ar_ken wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 7:25 am
Suggesting a Tesla seems to be the new "suggesting a Corolla" for every car buying thread.

FWIW, BMW had rolled back their CPO warranty big time. It used to be the industry standard 6 yr/160km warranty MOSTLY bumper to bumper (from the first in service date) and now it’s 1 year / unlimited km POWERTRAIN warranty from the date of purchase.

I don’t know if it’s an indication that it was costing them too much money??
Where did you get that information from?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23684 posts
10104 upvotes
Ottawa
Enough of these threads seeking approval on what to buy,
Buy what you want and if there are regrets down the road...lesson learned!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21806 posts
6805 upvotes
Toronto
.... yea. either have money set aside or get factory extended warranty (since you plan to keep for many more yrs)
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7751 posts
4520 upvotes
Markham
Honestly these threads boil down to the same stuff everytime:

1. Yes it's old(er), get CPO if you can... cannot get CPO? expect to pay for repairs.
2. Yes you have to service the car. No you don't have to do it at the dealer.
3. No you cannot just drop any 5W30 in there, make sure it is the approved oil for your car.
4. Yes Luxury German cars are expensive to maintain and repair. Yes they are very expensive.
5. No, if you don't have the cash to upkeep a plastic BMW, you shouldn't buy a plastic BMW.
6. A Tesla M3 is not the same as a BMW X5. Anyone trying to suggest this doesn't know anything about cars.