None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1754 posts
70 upvotes
Scarborough

In the market for a new Android phone and SmartWatch

I am in the market for a new Android phone. I was going to get the Nexus 6P. My co worker has it and he didn't recommend it.

I take a lot of pictures; and camera is my main thing that I look for in a cell phone. Updates are as important. I have a S7 and its on its least leg..trying to get something other than Samsung..

I was going to get a Sony Xperia but it seems they are also slow with software updates. Also any recommendation on a decent Samrtwatch?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2947 posts
521 upvotes
Home
I think S7 is one of the few best choices at this moment, if camera and update are important.
Sony Xperia always show high hope for camera, but the results were never better than iPhone, Galaxy S, or LG G.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1754 posts
70 upvotes
Scarborough
terry0703 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 12:45 pm
I think S7 is one of the few best choices at this moment, if camera and update are important.
Sony Xperia always show high hope for camera, but the results were never better than iPhone, Galaxy S, or LG G.
Thats the thing with Sony. They always put in high MP but it doesnt seem to make it any better.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
2947 posts
521 upvotes
Home
ninety5teg wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 12:57 pm
Thats the thing with Sony. They always put in high MP but it doesnt seem to make it any better.
It's not just MP. TBH, higher MP usually makes things worse (vs lower MP on the same sensor, same lens, and same processing algorithm). I think anything bigger than 10MP is good enough for most users' intention.
Problem is that they always come up with the best lens (Sony G lens is superior than just usual smartphone camera lenses) and best sensor, but the results are always disappointing. A lot of people actually wonder if that is intended so their camera sales are not affected (Sony's camera business is a lot bigger than their mobile business).
Sony itself has the skills, technique and know-how, their cameras have received very positive reviews on performance and image quality for last several years.
Last edited by terry0703 on Mar 7th, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 23, 2013
172 posts
85 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I think the Pixel is the cream of the crop at the moment if camera and updates are your key pillars.

MKBHD Review
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
12567 posts
7767 upvotes
Toronto
get smartwatch from place with good return policy. You may end up disappointed, as I was, with battery life and actual usability. I had Motorola 360 (ver 1)
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11240 posts
3333 upvotes
Oakville
I personally love my Nexus 6P, but if you're going from an S7 (a year old and already on its last legs? You must abuse the hell out of your phones) that's not really an upgrade. Pixel is really the only phone out right now that I would consider an upgrade from the S7, in the Android world. Especially if camera + frequent updates are your primary concerns.
Public Mobile
Koodo
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1754 posts
70 upvotes
Scarborough
wearysky wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 3:51 pm
I personally love my Nexus 6P, but if you're going from an S7 (a year old and already on its last legs? You must abuse the hell out of your phones) that's not really an upgrade. Pixel is really the only phone out right now that I would consider an upgrade from the S7, in the Android world. Especially if camera + frequent updates are your primary concerns.
Lol...no I take care of my phones..this phone was given to me for free from my friend already beaten up...
Oct 27, 2004
874 posts
25 upvotes
I have the Zenfone 3 Max and the Zenwatch 3. I chose the Max phone because battery was most important to me. If you take a lot of pictures, I've read great things about the Zenfone 3 Laser.

The Zenwatch 3 is considered by many (most? all?) to be the best smartwatch on the market currently. It took a bit of tweaking to get it to work right (I think it really matters in which order you install apps like Android Wear and ZenWatch Manager) but now it is working quite nicely. Notifications are great, and the screen is big and clear -- and no "flat tire!"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1754 posts
70 upvotes
Scarborough
I actually used my AirMiles and ordered a Fit Blaze.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1754 posts
70 upvotes
Scarborough
Gee wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:54 am
I bit the bullet and purchased a Google Pixel XL today at a Rogers corporate store.

So far, so good. I definitely recommend it.
If you dont mind me asking...how much did you pay for it and hows the camera picture quality (one of my main concern)?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23070 posts
2031 upvotes
Aurora
I haven't taken any pictures yet and I bought it outright. It cost $1085.37 after tax for the 32 Gig Blue Pixel XL

I found one on Kijiji for $750 brand new and sealed but didn't want to risk it getting black listed. The seller told me to pick up at his house in Brampton so I would know where to find him.

I was really torn. I want the 128 gig. I couldn't find it anywhere and I know Google will release the Pixel 2 in October. But I really hate the iPhone and it was getting to me.

After installing apps and music, I only have 14 gigs remaining for storage. I hope it will be enough. I don't use a lot of apps but I would have been more comfortable with 128 gig since 64 is not an option.

I'll let you know after I take a few pictures this afternoon. But everyone is complaining about the Pixel camera. Especially the lense flare.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1754 posts
70 upvotes
Scarborough
Gee wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:10 pm
I haven't taken any pictures yet and I bought it outright. It cost $1085.37 after tax for the 32 Gig Blue Pixel XL

I found one on Kijiji for $750 brand new and sealed but didn't want to risk it getting black listed. The seller told me to pick up at his house in Brampton so I would know where to find him.

I was really torn. I want the 128 gig. I couldn't find it anywhere and I know Google will release the Pixel 2 in October. But I really hate the iPhone and it was getting to me.

After installing apps and music, I only have 14 gigs remaining for storage. I hope it will be enough. I don't use a lot of apps but I would have been more comfortable with 128 gig since 64 is not an option.

I'll let you know after I take a few pictures this afternoon. But everyone is complaining about the Pixel camera. Especially the lense flare.
This is not good then..I was actually looking for 128gb but now that you bought up the issue I might not get it at all..I take a lot of pictures and I am very picky on how the pictures turn out...so far I have been content with the S7...will wait for you to post pics
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel