Marketing and Advertising careers?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2018 4:22 pm
Jul 25, 2011
778 posts
213 upvotes
VANCOUVER

Marketing and Advertising careers?

Hi everyone, I figured this would be a good place to ask about Marketing Careers in Canada (well, more specifically Vancouver but Toronto is okay too).

Some background: I was born and raised in Vancouver - and I'm currently working in a top tier city in Asia with just over 4 years of working experience. Most of my experience is working at advertising agencies for large clients (think global airlines, beauty brands etc). I specialize in Social Media and Content Marketing - I can do everything social media related including media buying - this doesn't include SEO/SEM etc. I have one year of working experience in Vancouver. I'm at the Manager level.

So I have some questions and would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on these topics :)
- Does the "Canadian Experience" thing really exist? I believe my resume looks pretty good at the moment but the only thing holding it back could possibly be the years I spent in Asia..
- What are the salary ranges for someone of my level and specialty? And is it reasonable to expect 70-80K CAD annually?
- Anything else I need to be aware of that might expedite the job hunting process if I really were to move back?

Oh, and I don't mind if the roles are at an agency or in-house - as long as I have a job :)
5 replies
Sep 17, 2017
88 posts
35 upvotes
What were you doing in Asia? :P

Just bumping this because I'd like to know the answer too.

I've been listening to Gary Vee's podcasts and he believes TV advertising won't be around for many years. His claims are terrific- TV advertising just sucks a large portion of your budget. Any marketing experts here?
Dec 21, 2009
567 posts
534 upvotes
Oakville
I'm in the agency/consulting world right now in Toronto - but I'm in analytics and strategy. Not sure what the manager level position pays for Social Media and Content marketing, but add Media Buying experience (programmatic, PMP deals, Ad networks, qualitative studies),trafficking , strategy (placing pixels on conversion events) , client facing ability I'm sure it can pay higher in the 90s.

Also having worked with large brands it puts you in a good position to find something - just not sure how Asia work experience translates to Canadian markets - as long as you speak well I think you'd be good.
Dec 21, 2009
567 posts
534 upvotes
Oakville
alexmercer wrote: What were you doing in Asia? :P

I've been listening to Gary Vee's podcasts and he believes TV advertising won't be around for many years. His claims are terrific- TV advertising just sucks a large portion of your budget. Any marketing experts here?
Gary Vee has been getting into trouble with his Agency work hasn't he?

But the TV Advertising claim depends how broadcasters are able to consolidate fragmented viewers, probably true - but digital advertising is going to be king - particularly mobile and video content.

You can track everything, and attribute all your sales and engagement down to the dollar. While TV Ad revenue seems fugazi - can only really measure it indirectly.
Jul 25, 2011
778 posts
213 upvotes
VANCOUVER
alexmercer wrote: What were you doing in Asia? :P

Gary's a good motivator. I'm not convinced he's a marketing expert. Too growth hack-ey for my tastes coming from someone who got a degree in marketing.
haskay wrote: I'm in the agency/consulting world right now in Toronto - but I'm in analytics and strategy. Not sure what the manager level position pays for Social Media and Content marketing, but add Media Buying experience (programmatic, PMP deals, Ad networks, qualitative studies),trafficking , strategy (placing pixels on conversion events) , client facing ability I'm sure it can pay higher in the 90s.

Also having worked with large brands it puts you in a good position to find something - just not sure how Asia work experience translates to Canadian markets - as long as you speak well I think you'd be good.
Thanks for the insight. I've got no media experience basically, but I would imagine social / content to be a tad lower. Seems fine.

In my city we're using the same platforms - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn so it should translate well. But if employers are picky they'd argue I don't have "Canadian Insight" - which is pretty important when it comes to campaigns.
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
273 posts
36 upvotes
Hi. There are Content Marketing Manager roles available especially at Tech-based firms within Toronto. Start-up tech firms seem to be the boom nowadays. They usually require 4-5 years of relevant experience but it's also working on actual Content Offers like Whitepapers, etc. I think what you're asking for in terms of salary sounds reasonable, as long as the company isn't too small. Hope this helps!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)