Off Topic

Markham off duty Cop beats,bullies,arrests 70 yr old School Crossing Gurad just for doing his Job.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2018 2:05 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5265 posts
716 upvotes
Toronto
I'm usually not for "cop hating" news stories but this is disgusting. IDK, I seen off duty cops getting cops involved in their petty battles and it's not good.

A driver should get 7 demarits for not stopping at a crossing guards stop sign. I believe that's equivalent to not stopping for a school bus stop sign.

I hope there's a follow up to this story.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9421 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal
pfbmgd wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 10:24 pm
All depends why he hit the car with his stop sign . Was it really to protect the kids or because he was pissed off . For the guy running the stop sign .
Maybe overreaction...or not? Still, didn't warrant getting slammed against a vehicle and trumped-up charges.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9421 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal
random pattern wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 10:29 pm
Why’d OP get banned?
Whoa. Duplicate account?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1776 posts
308 upvotes
This story makes absolutely no sense, other than just having inflamatory clickbait headline.
Kaalid wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 5:56 pm
Crossing guard Mohamed Hameed was working near Mount Joy Public School when his daughter Fathima Najamudeen said a nearby witness noticed a vehicle “doing a rolling stop.”

A nearby witness? So the crossing guard didn't actually see the "infraction" other than someone saying it was a rolling stop?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/crossing- ... -1.4129501
Mohamed Hameed, 70, said he was about to lead children across a street near Mount Joy Public School in Markham, Ont., when he says a vehicle slowed down, but didn’t stop. “He was not stopping so I hit on the back of the car to ask him to stop,” Hameed told CTV Toronto on Wednesday.
A few things:
- a crossing guard does not lead the children across. The guard is required to enter the intersection, raise the stop sign and THEN signal for the children to cross only when safe to do so.
- as he admitted to CTV News, he wasn't even in the intersection yet to start the crossing procedure. He was only "about to" lead them.
- he didn't actually witness the car doing a rolling stop. A "nearby witness" told him. For all he knew, the car was already legally in the intersection.
- by his account, the car was already well into the intersection for him to "hit on the back of the car". His reasoning for physically slapping the car was that he was worried "that the children are going to get run over by the vehicle" makes no sense - car is already past the children he said he was going to help across. Thus, the kids were never in danger at that point.
- as such in situations like this without a collision, the OTC Crossing Guard guideline is clear - guards are not to confront or escalate. They are to submit an Incident Response with details of vehicle and a description of driver.
- Given the information above, the crossing guard had no authority (moral or legal) to slap a metal STOP sign at a car. It's more than likely that it would have caused damage to the paint job. Seriously, how many here on RFD would not be upset if a stranger scratched your car for no reason when you legally entered an intersection?
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
12658 posts
2208 upvotes
Markham
akira1971 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 1:32 am
This story makes absolutely no sense, other than just having inflamatory clickbait headline.

A nearby witness? So the crossing guard didn't actually see the "infraction" other than someone saying it was a rolling stop?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/crossing- ... -1.4129501

A few things:
- a crossing guard does not lead the children across. The guard is required to enter the intersection, raise the stop sign and THEN signal for the children to cross only when safe to do so.
- as he admitted to CTV News, he wasn't even in the intersection yet to start the crossing procedure. He was only "about to" lead them.
- he didn't actually witness the car doing a rolling stop. A "nearby witness" told him. For all he knew, the car was already legally in the intersection.
- by his account, the car was already well into the intersection for him to "hit on the back of the car". His reasoning for physically slapping the car was that he was worried "that the children are going to get run over by the vehicle" makes no sense - car is already past the children he said he was going to help across. Thus, the kids were never in danger at that point.
- as such in situations like this without a collision, the OTC Crossing Guard guideline is clear - guards are not to confront or escalate. They are to submit an Incident Response with details of vehicle and a description of driver.
- Given the information above, the crossing guard had no authority (moral or legal) to slap a metal STOP sign at a car. It's more than likely that it would have caused damage to the paint job. Seriously, how many here on RFD would not be upset if a stranger scratched your car for no reason when you legally entered an intersection?
what he is saying here, is different from the written news
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7341 posts
550 upvotes
Toronto
20 posts and nobody mentions that this was a Toronto police officer off duty as confirmed by Caroline de kloet Toronto police spokesperson. Not that it really matters which division but thread title is wrong.

There is more to this story I suspect. You can say all you want about raging cops and such but if an off duty cop in Markham on his own time decided to restrain a 70 year old man and wait 15 minutes before on duty police arrest him. Holding him in a firm but not tv cop style crazy hold. I’m on the cops side it was likely for good reason.

There must be significantly more to this story.

Considering we pay for red light cameras pedestrian push button crossings both school and public should also be enforced by camera imo.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9421 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal
I guess anything's possible but what seems more plausible, the cross guard just going nuts on the car w/o any reason or the car doing something to make him react? He shouldn't be tapping the car potentially scratching it...maybe...but for the cop to assault him for tapping? Cmon. Seems more likely the cop's being an impatient jerk despite children being around and crossing.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3321 posts
1037 upvotes
Mississauga
GangStarr wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 2:11 am
There must be significantly more to this story.
Perhaps. But the fact that the crossing guard was released unconditionally suggests to me that the “more to the story” wasn’t enough for the York Region cops to side with their Toronto cop brother and lay charges.
Mar 6, 2010
50 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
pfbmgd wrote:
All depends why he hit the car with his stop sign . Was it really to protect the kids or because he was pissed off . For the guy running the stop sign .
No matter why someone hits my car, I don't have any right to assault the other person. This rascal should be in jail for few days and not have the job.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9421 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal
luking wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 6:50 am
No matter why someone hits my car, I don't have any right to assault the other person. This rascal should be in jail for few days and not have the job.
Yup, but some ppl just love making excuses for what's on the surface crap behavior. Now if there's new evidence the crossguard is some psycho, go ahead, but always blindly giving the benefit of the doubt to the party w/ the power is just naive as hell.
Nov 17, 2003
254 posts
21 upvotes
I was there when this all happened. Didn't see the actual incident but saw the aftermath. The issue here is no longer about the crossing guard hitting the vehicle with the stop sign, it's the conduct of the off duty officer and possibly YRP?. If it happened to any regular Joe, I can understand the reaction of someone hitting your vehicle but this is an officer with formal police training who is trained to deescalate a situation.

That did not happen. The off duty cop aggressively grabbed him, ripped off his vest and after a bit of a struggle pulled him over to his SUV and held him until police arrived.

YRP instantly handcuffed the crossing guard without talking to both sides or witnesses which I felt was a bit too much based on the circumstances.

Now regarding the rolling stop, I'm not so sure thats what happened. You have cars coming for all sides, and children crossing so I think it's impossible do to a rolling stop. Most likely, once the crossing guard saw that all cars were stopped, he proceeded to cross the intersection to help the kids cross. The SUV saw that he had time to cross the intersection before the crossing guard reached the middle so he drove through. That's probably why the crossing guard hit his SUV. All speculation though.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8973 posts
854 upvotes
Toronto
pfbmgd wrote:
To be totally honest if I had someone hit my car with a stop sign I’d lose my mind, crossing guard or not I’d still be pissed.

That said this cop went way over the line and should face some consequences as a result.

Who knows maybe they do and we just don’t know about it as it stays internal?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5373 posts
2622 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ohmare_Q wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 6:20 pm
The cop should be charged. When an off-duty officer is off-duty they're a civilian. What right did he have to jump out of his car and start assaulting someone?
What right would he have had to do that even if he was on duty? There's a lot of thugs in the police department, sadly. The type of people who are drawn to "power trip" type roles. Of course there are good cops, but lots of bad apples too.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

mavvee, ferkel