• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2008 8:33 pm
Tags:
None
May 20, 2005
288 posts
8 upvotes

Marriott Rewards Visa

I recently signed onto become a Marriott Rewards Gold member after seeing a thread in Hot Deals, when I noticed that Marriott had its own rewards Visa on its site. Since I couldn't find this card listed on the RFD Credit card article, I thought I would ask if anybody has this card and could comment on it.

http://www.canadacardservices.com/marriott/en/hmkt.asp

How does this card stack up against other rewards cards, such as Starwood Mastercard and the [rfdlink=17]Amex[/rfdlink] Blue? I am assuming this card is free, and the main advantage is that this is a Visa card, which is important for me.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1364 posts
49 upvotes
Brief skim of rewards for points, it looks about equal points needed for the higher category hotels. Maybe slightly higher points for Marriott. Starwood probably better but if you're a Marriott fan then the card is probably worthwhile getting. Get 3pts/$ spent at Marriott.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2006
1749 posts
2 upvotes
Nowhere near as good as the starwood preferred guest mastercard ... don't even bother.

Costs a lot more marriott rewards points to get less. Category 1 hotel at marriott is 7500 points, at starwood it is 2000-3000. If you want to transfer to airline rewards then this card gives you about 5x less miles. On top of that there is an annual. Absolutely no value here.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1364 posts
49 upvotes
sjweyman wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 2:24 pm
Nowhere near as good as the starwood preferred guest mastercard ... don't even bother.

Costs a lot more marriott rewards points to get less. Category 1 hotel at marriott is 7500 points, at starwood it is 2000-3000. If you want to transfer to airline rewards then this card gives you about 5x less miles. On top of that there is an annual. Absolutely no value here.
Ya but what is the price difference between and Starwood vs. Marriott at the various category levels. I don't know too much about the 2 hotels.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2006
1749 posts
2 upvotes
halflife150 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2008 7:12 pm
Ya but what is the price difference between and Starwood vs. Marriott at the various category levels. I don't know too much about the 2 hotels.
No matter what the difference, I don't think the difference in points could be justified unless you are really in love with Marriott for some reason.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1364 posts
49 upvotes
sjweyman wrote:
Jul 18th, 2008 8:05 am
No matter what the difference, I don't think the difference in points could be justified unless you are really in love with Marriott for some reason.
What do you mean it doesn't matter? That is how you find the return. If a Marriott Cat 1 costs 3-4x more then a Cat 1 Starwood then the 3-4x more points required it justified.
× < >