Sports & Recreation

Martial arts protective equipment for kids?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2011 10:49 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 26, 2004
668 posts
6 upvotes
GTA

Martial arts protective equipment for kids?

Hi, I have two kids in Jujitsu class.
They have a tournament coming up and need protective equipment (head-guard, MMA-style gloves, shin guards) to participate.
The ones that the club sells are crappy.
The ones that the instructor sells are expensive.

Where can one get decent quality, inexpensive equipment for children aged 7-10 in the GTA (preferably Richmond-Hill area)?
Used in good condition is OK.

Thanks,
Alex.
8 replies
Nov 8, 2005
784 posts
10 upvotes
North York
if its a jiujitsu tournament why would they need all those protective equipments? sounds like they are competing in MMA instead of BJJ........
Deal With Confidence

MY HEATWARE
MY HOFO FEEDBACK
[OP]
Aug 26, 2004
668 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
azn_pnoy wrote:
Nov 11th, 2011 4:53 am
if its a jiujitsu tournament why would they need all those protective equipments? sounds like they are competing in MMA instead of BJJ........
Original (Japanese) JJ, not BJJ.

That said, MMA-style protective equipment would work great.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
Alexo wrote:
Nov 11th, 2011 7:30 am
Original (Japanese) JJ, not BJJ.

That said, MMA-style protective equipment would work great.

just so you know, what your kids are doing might not be real JJJ.
most so-called JJJ stuff out there is usually a hodge-podge of karate with judo with aikido. there are a few schools that come from legit lineage, but most don't.
having said that, that doesn't mean these jujutsu schools are bad. just because something doesn't have a clean lineage doesn't mean that it isn't good. but, i've always found it funny that these are called 'Japanese' Jujutsu. it would be more accurate to call it American jujutsu, because that's where a lot of these were developed. there are some euro stuff, but it isn't as big as the american stuff. are your kids doing daito-ryu? that's probably the most well known real JJJ.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
[OP]
Aug 26, 2004
668 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
ippon wrote:
Nov 11th, 2011 9:44 am
just so you know, what your kids are doing might not be real JJJ.

Can we get back on topic please?

I can discuss this at length with you AFTER I get the answer to my question, or in another thread.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
3982 posts
269 upvotes
I'm interested too. All Star Martial Arts in Oak Ridges has the equipment for something around $250. I don't know how crappy or expensive (comparative) is this so I'm looking for other opinions.
Also, something I wonder: if I buy the equipment from somewhere else, not from the club, will they have objections?
Mar 8, 2007
278 posts
40 upvotes
arm2000 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2011 11:26 am
I'm interested too. All Star Martial Arts in Oak Ridges has the equipment for something around $250. I don't know how crappy or expensive (comparative) is this so I'm looking for other opinions.
Also, something I wonder: if I buy the equipment from somewhere else, not from the club, will they have objections?
If you know exactly what you want I would say to do google searches for martial arts supply and order from the cheapest place you can (most likely in the states). I used to do martial arts a long time ago - and back then there weren't that many supply stores - we would actually buy when at tournaments. You should also check kijiji/craigslist. If you need to size the stuff (and thus need an actual store) look on google and find an actual store in toronto and then just ask them what this stuff typically costs and what the difference between good and bad equipment is. I would have to say that you can almost definitely find a better price than 250. You may also want to specify EXACTLY what equipment you are looking for so people can get a better idea (i.e. head guard, feet/hand gaurds, a stronger 'gi' than what the kids use in practice.....
[OP]
Aug 26, 2004
668 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
I specified exactly what I'm looking for in the first post of the thread.
arm2000 may be looking for different things.
[OP]
Aug 26, 2004
668 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
Found kid-sized gloves on fighterwarehouse.com but still looking for headgear (boxing or mma).
Please help.
× < >