Expired Hot Deals

[STEAM] Mass Effect is $10 USD on Steam (for this weekend)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2009 1:14 pm
[OP]
Mar 10, 2002
426 posts
27 upvotes

[STEAM] Mass Effect is $10 USD on Steam (for this weekend)

More offers from STEAM
Mass Effect is $10 USD on Steam this weekend.

Seems like one of the better weekend deals in recent memory, especially since I've never played it!

Edit: It looks like there's no Securom on the Steam version too (for all EA games), so no DRM double whammy.

Edit 2: It looks like you can get the Bring Down the Sky DLC for free. However, if you want Pinnacle Station, you're going to have to buy it through EA's crappy store/download manager and maybe deal with some awkwardness. Something to consider if you're interested in the DLC.
29 replies
Sep 21, 2007
71 posts
Truro Nova Scotia Ca…
but what is the game like to play and is it resource hungry?

Ron
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1032 posts
391 upvotes
This game was pretty fun on the 360. Easily worth $10 in my opinion. But I don't know the requirements or playability on a PC.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2006
1011 posts
65 upvotes
Pretty good deal. I have the 360 version but since i upgraded my computer, i want this on PC now to be able to play ME2 on PC. Thanks for the heads up OP
Heatware : Chuckdeg
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1184 posts
53 upvotes
ooo... I was waiting for it to be $10. Instant buy for me.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13883 posts
2730 upvotes
Pinnacle Station is horrible DLC. Don't bother with it.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
May 12, 2003
664 posts
25 upvotes
Excuse my ignorance, whats DLC?

I've been waiting for this to go on sale, I think I will pick it up as well.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2008
1322 posts
13 upvotes
night_day wrote:
Nov 6th, 2009 6:56 am
Excuse my ignorance, whats DLC?

I've been waiting for this to go on sale, I think I will pick it up as well.
downloadable content
;) upvote 4 upvote?
Oct 22, 2003
693 posts
6 upvotes
purchased, thanks op.
cheers to steam, these deals are the best and their content delivery system can't be beat.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1340 posts
44 upvotes
Is the gameplay any different on PC versus XBOX? i already played this on release on XBOX and am just wondering if its worth it to give it another go on PC.

I hated the frequent load times (typical of console games), did they fix that for PC release? What about modding community? this game was ripe for improvement from modders due dull/repititive side missions!
Aug 6, 2009
496 posts
52 upvotes
GTA
Akaz1976 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2009 10:15 am
Is the gameplay any different on PC versus XBOX? i already played this on release on XBOX and am just wondering if its worth it to give it another go on PC.

I hated the frequent load times (typical of console games), did they fix that for PC release? What about modding community? this game was ripe for improvement from modders due dull/repititive side missions!
I am planning to buy the PC version with this sale in prep for the 2nd game. I too played on the 360.

In a nutshell the PC improvements were mainly in the controls and inventory/dialog management. You have more hotkey slots and it's easier to control the squadmates. Load times have been improved.

Otherwise the game is virtually identical.

They did put some effort into the PC interface though.

If you enjoyed the game, and want to play again, the PC will probably be a slightly better experience. The price is right too.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2828 posts
86 upvotes
Pretty good deal. ME was one of the biggest titles on PC platform last year. My only complain about the game is that the inventory system is too cumbersome to use when you get a lot of items and the end-game is a bit lacking. (I think they could use a few extra strong mobs for end-game, or maybe they did and I beat them all already. XD)

Overall a pretty good title if you are into the FPS/RPG genre. Last year, the only game that came to close to its quality is Fallout 3. (Fallout 3 is slightly better because of the continuous quality DLC and mod support.)
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2005
1451 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, bought. I've played through the 360 version as well, and I gotta admit, the PC version is MUCH better! Aside from the excellent optimizing they've done for the PC (game's running smooth on my crummy $35 video card on fairly high settings), the interface has been improved a great deal. Switching weapons is much easier, and there's hotkeys for spells and whatnot.
Jul 9, 2009
31 posts
1 upvote
I've been waiting to get this game. What better time than now? Thanks!