Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2011
2106 posts
2169 upvotes
London, Ontario
MeDS wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 10:49 pm
What's it comparable to?
It's a shooter action rpg in space. It's not really loot-heavy like Borderlands, but you can get a lot of different items from chests/caches (at least in past ME games).
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1187 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
From what I'm reading, some early impressions of the first few hours don't look good. Now I'm getting worried lol cuz I preordered.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI (MSI Gaming 4G, Asus Strix) RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR4-3000 Case: CM Storm Trooper
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4 Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Fan
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80+ Bronze Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2015
577 posts
202 upvotes
MeDS wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 10:49 pm
What's it comparable to?
Cod infinite but infinitely better
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
867 upvotes
Impressions are mixed from what I am seeing. Good combat system, generally well optimized graphics. Plot seems polarizing? I'm reading it as good and terrible. The human characters and animation apparently are either bad or crap, aliens look great, very little customization options for the player character.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3131 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 11:20 am
Well if anything this game is going to be a great source of memes for the next few months. This reddit thread highlighting some of the bad animations is hilairious
LOL that thread suddenly became an alt-right gamergate hatefest for a while... Having just beaten Mass Effect 2 and currently on my way to finishing 3, I don't know if the ME games are really the standard for having good animation anyway.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5080 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 12:01 pm
LOL that thread suddenly became an alt-right gamergate hatefest for a while... Having just beaten Mass Effect 2 and currently on my way to finishing 3, I don't know if the ME games are really the standard for having good animation anyway.
Don't forget ME3 is also 5 years old so while it's not amazing, it was pretty good for the time. It was also consistent and there were no particularly bad animations that stood out in the jarring way they seem to in Andromeda. It almost looks like their animation got worse or less consistent and polished compared to 5 years ago.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3131 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 1:40 pm
Don't forget ME3 is also 5 years old so while it's not amazing, it was pretty good for the time. It was also consistent and there were no particularly bad animations that stood out in the jarring way they seem to in Andromeda. It almost looks like their animation got worse or less consistent and polished compared to 5 years ago.
Could be a new engine they're working with, and I think the team is different. Anyway, I'm still pretty excited for it... The combat in the original ME trilogy was a bit slow and plodding, and from trailers, it looks like they've tried to speed it up a bit more. They even ditched active cover and made it passive... not sure how I feel about that change... I like being in charge of when I take cover or not.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
867 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 1:40 pm
Yeah and ME3 ran on the same Unreal Engine 3 as ME1 and 2, they just tweaked things and improved the game resources like textures over time but ME3's engine was already 5 years old and dated by release.
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 2:23 pm
Could be a new engine they're working with, and I think the team is different. Anyway, I'm still pretty excited for it... The combat in the original ME trilogy was a bit slow and plodding, and from trailers, it looks like they've tried to speed it up a bit more. They even ditched active cover and made it passive... not sure how I feel about that change... I like being in charge of when I take cover or not.
They're using FrostBite 3.0, but DA:I used the same thing and it looks a lot more polished with better animations. The team is different though, ME:A is by BioWare Montreal which is their B-team with support from their A-team in Edmonton but the A-team has been focusing on a new IP game for awhile. Most of their B-team has little to no involvement in the development of DA:I or the original ME trilogy.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3131 posts
612 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 2:55 pm
Yeah and ME3 ran on the same Unreal Engine 3 as ME1 and 2, they just tweaked things and improved the game resources like textures over time but ME3's engine was already 5 years old and dated by release.

They're using FrostBite 3.0, but DA:I used the same thing and it looks a lot more polished with better animations. The team is different though, ME:A is by BioWare Montreal which is their B-team with support from their A-team in Edmonton but the A-team has been focusing on a new IP game for awhile. Most of their B-team has little to no involvement in the development of DA:I or the original ME trilogy.
Interesting... I knew they switched engines, but I didn't know if it was Frostbite, although I guess it makes sense since I'm sure EA saves a bunch of licensing costs by using their own engine.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5080 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 2:55 pm
The team is different though, ME:A is by BioWare Montreal which is their B-team with support from their A-team in Edmonton but the A-team has been focusing on a new IP game for awhile. Most of their B-team has little to no involvement in the development of DA:I or the original ME trilogy.
This is news to me and kills most of the interest I have in this game. I've been assuming this entire time that it's the same team that did the original series which I love. The mixed reception and weird unpolished look of it makes a lot of sense now
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
867 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 3:07 pm
Interesting... I knew they switched engines, but I didn't know if it was Frostbite, although I guess it makes sense since I'm sure EA saves a bunch of licensing costs by using their own engine.
EA mandated all their development studios start moving to FrostBite after Battefield 4 was released at the end of 2013. Mirror's Edge, PGA Tour, Need for Speed, DAI, ME:A, FIFA 17, even Plants vs. Zombies uses FrostBite now.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
2989 posts
476 upvotes
GTA
I have this preordered since 2015 for $50 all in but I think I might cancel this. I've been reading online and most fans of the series have mixed feelings because they made the gameplay more of a shooter vibe. You'll be running around, using the jetpack to dodge and killing everything. Sounds repetitive and boring. However, the only thing I haven't seen is a review of the story? Is there one because if the story is great I'll keep it