• May 13th, 2017 7:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2914 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Ugh, scanning is back? I don't understand why games like this feel that they need to pad out the playtime by introducing a useless, boring, mechanic... ME3 at least had an element of danger, even though it still was a time suck.

In future games, I'd rather that they have scanning reserved for the most die-hard player who wants to min-max to their hearts content, and instead have a passive system that gives you resources depending on side missions you complete... For example, maybe like a sidequest has you rescuing some bankers that nets you credits, or liberating a platinum or uranium mine or something... and then you can choose to take a cut of their proceeds as a reward... maybe even go renegade and take a larger cut, or pure paragon just gives you an XP boost and small amount of credits... And every time you finish a predefined number of priority missions, these rewards would kick in.
PSN: M̶1̶G̶O̶m̶i̶g̶s̶ | XBox Live: M1GO
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5603 posts
1175 upvotes
I wonder who choreographed these animations.

The person that hit the Krogan turns their head away looking blankly off in the distance after doing so,
then more comedy ensues.

Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
2862 posts
418 upvotes
GTA
M1GOmigs wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 10:02 am
I gave up on ME1 a long time ago, and I'm only now enjoying ME2 and really digging the world they created. I'm not super huge on grindy aspects of RPGs, but ME2 has the right mix of exploration/dialogue/action/story

For those into ME franchise, should I play 3 and jump into Andromeda later this year when it's on sale, or just play Andromeda when it comes out?
Honestly, with how good those games are a playthrough wouldn't be a bad thing if you have time. Maybe by the time you're done andromeda will drop in price so its a win win. Might be hard avoiding spoilers though
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5603 posts
1175 upvotes
Digital Foundry's initial analysis of Mass Effect Andromeda on consoles:

PS4 regular: 1080p native resolution, targeting 30 fps but has framerate drops as low as the mid 20s. 900p native resolution for cutscenes.
PS4 Pro: they did not test it yet.

XBox One: 900p native resolution, targeting 30 fps but has framerate drops as low as the mid 20s. 756p native resolution during cutscenes.
Screen tearing occurs a lot more often on XBox One.

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2914 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
jarko wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 2:44 pm
Honestly, with how good those games are a playthrough wouldn't be a bad thing if you have time. Maybe by the time you're done andromeda will drop in price so its a win win. Might be hard avoiding spoilers though
I actually finished ME2 a few weeks ago and I'm probably about 50% through ME3 and liking it so far. I've got a preorder for Andromeda so we'll see how that goes. Despite the complaints, I'm sure it'll be fine.
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5603 posts
1175 upvotes
An example of cringe worthy writing and dialog in Mass Effect Andromeda:

Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
2862 posts
418 upvotes
GTA
XFactor11 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 2:12 pm

Brutal, the faces look so blank and empty.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1744 posts
390 upvotes
Unionville, ON
XFactor11 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 2:12 pm

...What. The. Actual. FFFFFFF.

Well, the reviews are correct then, the facial animations blows chunks, the dialog is cringy as heck! I was a big ME1/2/3 fan, I have all 3, including the collector's edition for 3. It's true then the original ME team all left and we get this crap.

PASS!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5603 posts
1175 upvotes
There is actually a lot of backlash on social media with some idiots specifically targeting and harassing women working at Bioware with
hate mail and sexually explicit remarks over the poor animations and story that have leaked so far.

http://kotaku.com/scumbags-harass-woman ... Socialflow

JKKim2983 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:38 pm
...What. The. Actual. FFFFFFF.

Well, the reviews are correct then, the facial animations blows chunks, the dialog is cringy as heck! I was a big ME1/2/3 fan, I have all 3, including the collector's edition for 3. It's true then the original ME team all left and we get this crap.

PASS!
Most of the original Mass Effect team is rumored to be working on an online multiplayer game and many likely did not work on Andromeda.

The creators of Mass Effect left after the backlash the original Mass Effect 3 ending received. They revised and expanded the ending
of Mass Effect 3 with a patch a few months later and then quit the games industry for good.

http://www.techdigest.tv/2012/09/bioware_mass_ef.html
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-w ... 21/?page=3

Turns out the Editor of Mass Effect Andromeda, and two other Bioware employees have announced they are quitting before the release of Andromeda too:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/7/1117414 ... oware-exit

Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
865 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:29 am
Mass Effect Andromeda has mediocre reviews so far after 28 critic reviews:

A 75 average on Metacritic which is easily a low point for the Mass Effect series.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... -andromeda

Note that's the PS4 version which oddly is scoring the worse of the three versions. XB1 is scoring 77 and PC version is 78.

I think it may be due to the fact that PS4 has such a strong line up for titles lately, if Horizon hadn't only just come out the PS4 version of MEA might have scored higher.

Also from what I've seen of the various streams out there, the PC version looks a lot better including the character models. It's still not great, but the dead eye thing and shoddy human faces aren't nearly as bad as on the console versions since PC version has better textures and filters/shaders going on.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4534 posts
754 upvotes
Milton
Actually ME:A on Friday (i think amazon sent it early by mistake) and took me the whole weekend to get my Ryder customization to my liking.

fyi, if you change the first name of Ryder then the dialogue will not say the first name. Leaving it at default, the dialogues would say Scott/Sara Ryder.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4631 posts
574 upvotes
Winkle wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 8:51 am
Note that's the PS4 version which oddly is scoring the worse of the three versions. XB1 is scoring 77 and PC version is 78.

I think it may be due to the fact that PS4 has such a strong line up for titles lately, if Horizon hadn't only just come out the PS4 version of MEA might have scored higher.

Also from what I've seen of the various streams out there, the PC version looks a lot better including the character models. It's still not great, but the dead eye thing and shoddy human faces aren't nearly as bad as on the console versions since PC version has better textures and filters/shaders going on.
I think reviewers just review the copy that gets shipped to them which in most cases is playstation unless they are an Xbox/PC specific site however your point stands, I cant imagine trying to play a massive open world game like this that doesnt do anything to mix up the formula from 10+ years ago after something like Breath of the Wild and does an amazing job of capturing that sense of wonder that comes from a massive open world.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
2914 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 8:00 pm
There is actually a lot of backlash on social media with some idiots specifically targeting and harassing women working at Bioware with
hate mail and sexually explicit remarks over the poor animations and story that have leaked so far.

http://kotaku.com/scumbags-harass-woman ... Socialflow

Most of the original Mass Effect team is rumored to be working on an online multiplayer game and many likely did not work on Andromeda.

The creators of Mass Effect left after the backlash the original Mass Effect 3 ending received. They revised and expanded the ending
of Mass Effect 3 with a patch a few months later and then quit the games industry for good.

http://www.techdigest.tv/2012/09/bioware_mass_ef.html
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-w ... 21/?page=3

Turns out the Editor of Mass Effect Andromeda, and two other Bioware employees have announced they are quitting before the release of Andromeda too:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/7/1117414 ... oware-exit

We live in a world where people become immediately outraged and incensed over relatively minor things... Some serious first world problem bullshit that entitled fans get behind. But it's a bad thing when people are actually quitting their jobs or turning down projects because of the idiotic ramblings of overzealous "fans".

Why can't people just chill the F out?

This is why we can't have nice things...
Gamervets.com
Dorkshelf.com
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
865 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:15 am
We live in a world where people become immediately outraged and incensed over relatively minor things... Some serious first world problem bullshit that entitled fans get behind. But it's a bad thing when people are actually quitting their jobs or turning down projects because of the idiotic ramblings of overzealous "fans".

Why can't people just chill the F out?

This is why we can't have nice things...
It's pretty sad but that's the internet for you. I'm disappointed with the shoddy animations in MEA but the outrage is ludicrous. A lot of key folks from BioWare behind their best games and/or franchises have long since left not just the company but the video game industry as a whole, many of them after the release of ME3 probably in part due to the backlash.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel