None
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4945 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto
Winkle wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:34 am
It's pretty sad but that's the internet for you. I'm disappointed with the shoddy animations in MEA but the outrage is ludicrous.
Internet gaming community is weird and outspoken in general. Despite the funny animations and some flaws, I'm sure the game is probably decent and worth playing at the right price, just not worth paying full price at launch. The game will probably sell OK and be enjoyed by people who don't pay attention to internet opinions. Not every game needs to be a 10/10 masterpiece worth $80. To me this looks like a decent 7 if not 8/10 game that I'll pick up and enjoy for $10-$20 later this year or next
Last edited by ReeGee on Mar 20th, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4688 posts
592 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:52 am
Internet gaming community is weird and outspoken in general. Despite the funny animations and some flaws, I'm sure the game is probably decent and worth playing at the right price, just not worth paying full price at launch. The game will probably sell OK and be enjoyed by people who don't pay attention to internet opinions. Not every game needs to be a 10/10 masterpiece worth $80. To me this looks like like decent 7 if not 8/10 game that I'll pick up and enjoy for $10-$20 later this year or next
There are diehard fans of the series that have been waiting 5 years for this game. They dont care if the game costs 10$ or 200$ these people are going to be there day one regardless of price/reviews, I think these are the people that are most outraged, the ones that are heavily invested in the franchise. To see the next generation version launch buggy/broken and barely improved over its predecessors has to be incredibly frustrating/disappointing. All though I was playing ME1 not to long ago and that game is also really buggy and janky, I think expectations are higher though as this is launching on a new generation of hardware where other games have set the bar higher for this genre. This is not to excuse the embarrassing and immature behavior of the community but I dont think price has anything to do with the blowback.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3013 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:46 am
There are diehard fans of the series that have been waiting 5 years for this game. They dont care if the game costs 10$ or 200$ these people are going to be there day one regardless of price/reviews, I think these are the people that are most outraged, the ones that are heavily invested in the franchise. To see the next generation version launch buggy/broken and barely improved over its predecessors has to be incredibly frustrating/disappointing. All though I was playing ME1 not to long ago and that game is also really buggy and janky, I think expectations are higher though as this is launching on a new generation of hardware where other games have set the bar higher for this genre. This is not to excuse the embarrassing and immature behavior of the community but I dont think price has anything to do with the blowback.
I think playing the older games recently puts a lot of this in perspective for me... I'm still in the midst of my ME3 playthrough and I feel like this game was already janky compared to its competitors at the time of its release. The controls are clumsy, the enemy AI is a joke, some of the animation is quirky, and there are some extremely inefficient, boring and time-sucking game mechanics they should've just removed (but doubled down on in ME: A).

But I didn't come to love these games for its technical fidelity... It's all about the universe and the intriguing interplay between the various alien races that grabbed me, so as long as ME:A delivers on that, and provides a passable shooter experience as well, then I'll be satisfied.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4945 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:46 am
I kind of consider myself a huge fan of this series in the sense I hold the original trilogy in my top 5 RPGs of all time, I even played ME3 twice (first on 360 then NG+ with DLC on PC), I guess I just don't get heavily invested in hype and anticipation so it doesn't really bother me that it's not a flawless masterpiece of a sequel, it would've been nice if it turned out that good, but I'm not surprised it isn't and basically expected it after how DA:I turned out. I didn't mean to imply the price has anything to do with internet blowback, just saying the shortcomings and average reviews only change when I'll play it and what I'll pay for me personally
M1GOmigs wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 11:59 am
It's all about the universe and the intriguing interplay between the various alien races that grabbed me, so as long as ME:A delivers on that, and provides a passable shooter experience as well, then I'll be satisfied.
Yup pretty much how I feel about it as well. The game doesn't need to be perfect, as long as it offers more of that experience at a serviceable level I'll be OK with it. I don't get the impression the game is unplayable garbage the way internet makes it sound, it's just not as amazing as it maybe could've been with more time.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4688 posts
592 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:28 pm
I kind of consider myself a huge fan of this series in the sense I hold the original trilogy in my top 5 RPGs of all time, I even played ME3 twice (first on 360 then NG+ with DLC on PC), I guess I just don't get heavily invested in hype and anticipation so it doesn't really bother me that it's not a flawless masterpiece of a sequel, it would've been nice if it turned out that good, but I'm not surprised it isn't and basically expected it after how DA:I turned out. I didn't mean to imply the price has anything to do with internet blowback, just saying the shortcomings and average reviews only change when I'll play it and what I'll pay for me personally
Im sort of in the exact same boat as you are, ME1 & ME2 were a couple of my favorite games on 360, though.

However reading the reviews of this game this isnt really something I want to play anymore. I love the world of ME but if Im going to really commit to play a 50 hour game like this it better be worth my time, reading some of the complaints I dont think this game is even worth it. I can overlook some bad dialogue, poor animations, some poor animations/graphics and some bugs the thing that I keep reading about crop up in reviews is some poor quest design (ie. main quests being simple fetch quests or "collect 3 of x item"). Its the same issue I had with DA:I which caused me to drop that game after only a few hours. Not to mention the story/characters just seem to be carbon copies of the original ME franchise so that sense of exploration doesnt hit as hard as it should.

I will be waiting till this is heavily discounted or in the EA Vault but even at that with so many great releases I dont think it will be worth my time, which is disappointing given how much Ive enjoyed the franchise in the past.

Who knows though, maybe it will surprise me. Ive yet to even try EA Access trial so Ill start with that and see if its worth exploring after.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4945 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 1:04 pm
even at that with so many great releases I dont think it will be worth my time
I agree with this for now, especially with BOTW still being new, I'm not putting any priority on playing this over that or the other critically acclaimed games in my backlog but I'll be willing to give it a shot once those run out. Unless I'm overlooking other games, ME is the only series out there that fills the space sci-fi RPG niche so this seems like the only game to turn to when I want that scratch that itch. Now that I think about it, I don't even have any other new RPGs on my radar so this will probably be the next one I play when I feel like I have time for a new RPG
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
865 upvotes
I bought it. Reviews are generally positive and notes that the game does get better if more play time, and is in-line with being "DA:I in Space". While DA:I had it's share of faults, I did enjoy it quite a bit and go about 100 hrs out of it and it seems easy to achieve to 100 hrs as well in ME:A if you play it similarly so meets my $1 for 1 hr of gameplay minimum value requirement (unless it's a really good game).

If I had a PS4 Pro I would probably be more interested in Horizons. I don't have a Switch nor plan to get one anytime soon and while BotW looks really good, I am not really interested enough in it to justify buying a new system just for it so I guess my funds are going into ME:A instead. I'll let you folks know what I think about it once I've put a few days into it.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7098 posts
656 upvotes
Victoria
Are there melee weapons? I tried to get into these series by playing the 1st game a few months ago. Apparently I'm not a big fan of 3rd party shooters rpg's. I loved Dragon Age Inquisition, so it seems this could be up my alley. I'm loving Horizon Zero Dawn right now but at least it gives you a bit of a melee weapon. It's probably sad that the one thing that has kept me from embracing this franchise is the lack of melee. Playing the first one it felt like Knights of the Old republic without lightsabers and vibroswords :(
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5759 posts
1205 upvotes
Mass Effect does have melee attacks but they are mostly last resort type of attacks instead of being the primary way you attack enemies.
There are also special ability melee type attacks that run on a cooldown timer like in Deus Ex Human Revolution or Deus Ex Mankind Divided.
zod wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:29 pm
Are there melee weapons? I tried to get into these series by playing the 1st game a few months ago. Apparently I'm not a big fan of 3rd party shooters rpg's. I loved Dragon Age Inquisition, so it seems this could be up my alley. I'm loving Horizon Zero Dawn right now but at least it gives you a bit of a melee weapon. It's probably sad that the one thing that has kept me from embracing this franchise is the lack of melee. Playing the first one it felt like Knights of the Old republic without lightsabers and vibroswords :(
Mass Effect Andromeda is one of my E3 Futureshop pre-orders that are still being honored by Best Buy so I will be getting it for about $45 after tax.
Otherwise I might have cancelled to pick it up later in lieu of the lukewarm reviews and because I have around 5 or so other unfinished games I bought this year.
The last game I still have pre-ordered at Futureshop is Kingdom Hearts III which I placed a pre-order for over 3 years ago.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Mar 20th, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4945 posts
1439 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote:
The combat in the first game was very underdeveloped compared to the sequels which have far more refined tighter feeling combat. Night and day difference really. It's still mainly a shooter though and melee attacking coming in the way of secondary abilities. I mean the game takes place in a futuristic setting where they've mastered intergalactic travel, why would they be fighting with melee weapons? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Apr 26, 2004
9739 posts
511 upvotes
Mississauga
zod wrote:
Yes there are melee weapons. Lots of them, and way more than in the original trilogy. I don't rememeber the original game even having any. Frankly, I find Mass Effect 1 unplayable now due to its dated gameplay mechanics. 2 & 3 are great though.

I'm still looking forward to Andromeda though. Internet chatter tends to lean towards the vicious side more often than not, so I'll see for myself.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1748 posts
402 upvotes
Unionville, ON
I watched the first 30 minutes of Mass Effect 3 again (in lieu of installing it on my PC and downloading all of the damn updates) and this new Mass Effect Andromeda last night.

The difference is night and day. I felt more emotionally driven edge of my seat with ME3 than I did with ME:A. ME:3 grabs you hard within the first few minutes whereas ME:A didn't at all. But then again, the stakes were a helluva lot higher with ME3 than with ME:A.

Facial animations in ME3 still holds up 5 years later, with ME:A it took me out of the universe with the deer in the headlights eyes. Since ME:A has nothing to do with Shepard, I'm inclined to wait until ME:A is 50% off given all the backlash and bad reviews. IGN gave it a 7.7 and they gave ME3 a 9.5 for example.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7795 posts
865 upvotes
JKKim2983 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 4:22 pm
The difference is night and day. I felt more emotionally driven edge of my seat with ME3 than I did with ME:A. ME:3 grabs you hard within the first few minutes whereas ME:A didn't at all. But then again, the stakes were a helluva lot higher with ME3 than with ME:A.
Eh, that's not a fair comparison at all though. ME3 was the final chapter of a trilogy, it could start the game where it did because it had 2 games already to set everything up leading to it, it didn't need to lay any framework or exposition. ME:A is for all intent and purposes a spin-off set in an entirely new galaxy and time period so it's naturally going to start out slower. It's more fair to compare ME:A's slower opening pace with ME1's first 10 hours which was in all fairness, quite slow but I thought really well done.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
2922 posts
459 upvotes
GTA
Is it true you can't make a white character in the game? I heard they are forcing a political agenda in the main story of the game after reading various user reviews. Games are to help escape the outside world after working 9 - 5 and relaxing, especially in sci-fi. If they really are pushing their agenda I have to say that it's horrible for the gaming industry. I'm going to pick this up in a year or 2 for $10.
XFactor11 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 3:54 pm
Mass Effect does have melee attacks but they are mostly last resort type of attacks instead of being the primary way you attack enemies.
There are also special ability melee type attacks that run on a cooldown timer like in Deus Ex Human Revolution or Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

Mass Effect Andromeda is one of my E3 Futureshop pre-orders that are still being honored by Best Buy so I will be getting it for about $45 after tax.
Otherwise I might have cancelled to pick it up later in lieu of the lukewarm reviews and because I have around 5 or so other unfinished games I bought this year.
The last game I still have pre-ordered at Futureshop is Kingdom Hearts III which I placed a pre-order for over 3 years ago.

I cancelled my $45 order as it wasn't worth it. Earlier this year I had mafia 3 preordered for $40 and made the mistake of keeping it thinking I could resell it online. Usually I can but with how bad reviews where no one wanted to buy it for $50 after 3 days post release. Had to waste money on shipping it back and getting a $34 refund.
Now seeing the 4.1 rating on metacritic I think I made the right choice cancelling this and waiting till its dirty cheap.
Jan 17, 2009
298 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if the 'Deluxe Edition' is available in physcial format for PC?

I checked BestBuy and EBGames online and both have the standard AND deluxe edition for XB1/PS4, but for PC there seems to be only the 79.99 standard edition.

Or do I have to buy from Origin to get the Deluxe PC version?