Massage Chairs - BB and Costco....40-50% off

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 10:10 am
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2011
1203 posts
858 upvotes
Québec Gold
Most of the time people buy and don’t use it unless they have plenty of time to loose that my experience and be shure to have plenty of space because these dosent move easely.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
71 posts
58 upvotes
yolomolo wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 10:41 pm
Most of the time people buy and don’t use it unless they have plenty of time to loose that my experience and be shure to have plenty of space because these dosent move easely.
I was just thinking that there are an awful lot of them on kijiji! Oddly, many/most seem to be out in Alberta. In my city, unfortunately no used ones that I am interested in.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2011
1203 posts
858 upvotes
Québec Gold
Perc wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 10:47 pm
I was just thinking that there are an awful lot of them on kijiji! Oddly, many/most seem to be out in Alberta. In my city, unfortunately no used ones that I am interested in.
I did found my chair on kijiji and my friends use it more then I do they are very satisfied about it but neither me and my girlfriend use it, loll

It is really well made no worry about quality unless the leather is very cheap on the icomfort
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2570 posts
144 upvotes
The pricing on Costco's iComfort chair looks attractive, but as mentioned, the lack of reviews anywhere is cause for concern.

I am still looking for one - The ones they have at Goodlife gym's aren't bad, though forearm massage would've been nice. Anyone know what model those are? I believe they're Panasonic units..
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
71 posts
58 upvotes
A company in Montreal is selling demo models of the 1150 for $250 more than the Costco (shipped) price. That makes me a bit more comfortable that the price is good.
Oct 6, 2010
144 posts
189 upvotes
Markham
I've tried buying on at Costco before, the return policy is great. I had to return it the moment they brought it to my house, cause it unfortunately could not fit through my doors! :( They had originally told me it would come in 2 pieces and assemble it inside my house, but upon delivery, the chair had already been completely assembled!

The model I got was one of the icomforts (don't remember which one anymore), and at the time I had inquired icomfort about it. There are not many online reviews, because they told me that a lot of their models are costco exclusive.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10132 posts
585 upvotes
Tried some really good and CHEAP massage chairs in Korea. Very high end ones were less than 2000 Canadian. Really wanted one but shipping and different voltage requirements.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1013 posts
67 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
In my case at least, Costco's "white glove" delivery simply means they will bring it into your home. It doesn't mean they assemble it and dispose of the packaging. Nor would you want them to! Unless they are for some weird reason experienced in massage chair assembly...
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
71 posts
58 upvotes
Ctrl-Z wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 4:43 pm
In my case at least, Costco's "white glove" delivery simply means they will bring it into your home. It doesn't mean they assemble it and dispose of the packaging. Nor would you want them to! Unless they are for some weird reason experienced in massage chair assembly...
The costco website indicates that the fulfillment of the sale is through a third party, and then down below it says:
"Shipping & Returns
For more information about this product or for replacement parts, call the EBI Customer Service Centre at...".

EBI is the parent company of icomfort, so I kind of thought it was delivered by icomfort. But you're right, like other aspects of the purchase, I really have no idea.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
71 posts
58 upvotes
Just in case anyone else was thinking about a massage chair and looks at this, here are minor updates to this thread....

EBI Comfort does not do the delivery....in the case of the chair I ordered it's being done by a company called Alero International. The 3 to 5 weeks the Costco website mentioned seems accurate, though conservative. My order is shaping up to take 3 weeks (it's supposed to be en-route to Ottawa in a truck on Friday, which is 10 days after ordering).

Despite not mentioning "heat" in the user manual or the icomfort website, a very helpful gentleman (Robert) at iComfort confirmed that the 1150 does have a potent heater on the back (but, not arms or legs like the picture on the Costco web page suggests).

After speaking with people at iComfort and in particular Robert (I've been annoying, and have spoken to him four times) I now have a warm/fuzzy feeling about the company. So hopefully they'll be equally supportive/obliging if I ever need warranty support, etc.

I saw an Inada Dreamwave on kijiji, so looked into that warranty (thinking it might be worth getting a used, top of the line chair). The Inada warranty is actually not 5 years (at least the ones sold through bodo, an authorized Canadian seller). In fact the warranty is no different really than the iComfort one. One year for comprehensive (parts and service) and and three years for parts. The five year is just for the structure (and I don't think I'm going to hurt a 300lb steel chair). The Inada warranty is found here

Lastly, while the gentleman at iComfort said the IC-4000 is a good value choice, he also said that they are made in different overseas factories/companies and that the IC-1150 has a stronger massage, that the difference in airbags (28 to 43) makes a very noticeable difference, and there is a difference in build and material quality. So I'm leaving well enough alone and not changing from the Costco order.
Dec 9, 2001
265 posts
19 upvotes
Scarborough
Thanks OP for sharing that update. Super informative post!

I've also placed an order for the Costco one, and i' m waiting on Alero to deliver as well. Based on your findings, i'm glad i didn't go with the cheaper IC4000 from Bestbuy, and I'm gonna keep my Costco order as-is.

I'll report back on initial impressions once it's delivered.

Cheers!

Perc wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 3:54 pm
Just in case anyone else was thinking about a massage chair and looks at this, here are minor updates to this thread....

EBI Comfort does not do the delivery....in the case of the chair I ordered it's being done by a company called Alero International. The 3 to 5 weeks the Costco website mentioned seems accurate, though conservative. My order is shaping up to take 3 weeks (it's supposed to be en-route to Ottawa in a truck on Friday, which is 10 days after ordering).

Despite not mentioning "heat" in the user manual or the icomfort website, a very helpful gentleman (Robert) at iComfort confirmed that the 1150 does have a potent heater on the back (but, not arms or legs like the picture on the Costco web page suggests).

After speaking with people at iComfort and in particular Robert (I've been annoying, and have spoken to him four times) I now have a warm/fuzzy feeling about the company. So hopefully they'll be equally supportive/obliging if I ever need warranty support, etc.

I saw an Inada Dreamwave on kijiji, so looked into that warranty (thinking it might be worth getting a used, top of the line chair). The Inada warranty is actually not 5 years (at least the ones sold through bodo, an authorized Canadian seller). In fact the warranty is no different really than the iComfort one. One year for comprehensive (parts and service) and and three years for parts. The five year is just for the structure (and I don't think I'm going to hurt a 300lb steel chair). The Inada warranty is found here

Lastly, while the gentleman at iComfort said the IC-4000 is a good value choice, he also said that they are made in different overseas factories/companies and that the IC-1150 has a stronger massage, that the difference in airbags (28 to 43) makes a very noticeable difference, and there is a difference in build and material quality. So I'm leaving well enough alone and not changing from the Costco order.
Dec 9, 2001
265 posts
19 upvotes
Scarborough
Got a call from Alero shipping today. Apparently they can deliver the chair on Monday!

Definitely a lot quicker than 3-5 weeks
Mar 14, 2010
233 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Many extended health plans cover therapeutic massage (which gives you a far better experience than a chair in your home...) Why would anyone ever spend $2,500 - $5,000 for a chair with a one year warranty when you could get a weekly, personalized massage for less or nothing? Gee -- the "description" in the OP's ad doesn't even say whether the chair is covered in leather, plastic or fabric!!

The chairs pictured are huge and ugly. They appear to be junk waiting to break down. When a product is reduced 30% - 50% in price it was a) overpriced to begin with, b) has had many returns and complaints, or c) both of the above.

Part of the therapeutic value of a massage is the attention a masseur or masseuse can give to alleviate stress or address injuries/strains. There is nothing therapeutic or personalized about a chair massage. Sure, it might be a lift for sore muscles between flights in an airport lounge but, I believe, the reason so many massage chairs appear on resale websites is that they don't live up to the hype notr the expectations of people who buy them. My 2 cents.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
71 posts
58 upvotes
I don't necessarily disagree with many of your points. On some (like, reliability) only time will tell.

As for material, only the high end chairs are real leather. Chairs in my price range are generally imitation leather.

WRT the relatively high price, I rationalized that. I ride a bike to work, don't like smoking/drinking, and don't like eating out. And I hate clothing shopping. So a treat now and again is allowed for in my budget. As for reliability, I'm splitting hairs, but the parts warranty is three years and my credit card extends it by a year. So let's call it four years before I'm really on my own.

As for seeing the RMT, my health plan will cover 80% of 7 or 8 RMT visits, depending on how long the session is. My goal, though, is to use the chair daily. Most days, I feel like I could definitely benefit from one. I've tested a few of them, and have enjoyed those enough that I would use a nice one every day. I've tested an icomfort very similar to the 1150 and enjoyed it instantly, so I'm hoping this fits me right. If not, I intend to take advantage of Costco's excellent return policy (if not satisfied) and then I'd look for a plan B. Obviously I'd prefer to see an RMT every day but that's not in the cards.

And, obviously a chair won't come close to a highly qualified RMT. Not much does - I love seeing the RMT. That said, I often find the RMT too soft in certain spots in the back and neck, and since I only go so seldom, it's not practical for them to get to know me and what I prefer.

I agree the chairs are a bit on the large and unattractive side. That said, I'm no prize either, and my wife keeps me around so I've learned from her to look deeper than the surface ;o)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)