• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 10:10 am
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1522 posts
263 upvotes
pickles02 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 5:21 pm
Many extended health plans cover therapeutic massage (which gives you a far better experience than a chair in your home...) Why would anyone ever spend $2,500 - $5,000 for a chair with a one year warranty when you could get a weekly, personalized massage for less or nothing? Gee -- the "description" in the OP's ad doesn't even say whether the chair is covered in leather, plastic or fabric!!

The chairs pictured are huge and ugly. They appear to be junk waiting to break down. When a product is reduced 30% - 50% in price it was a) overpriced to begin with, b) has had many returns and complaints, or c) both of the above.

Part of the therapeutic value of a massage is the attention a masseur or masseuse can give to alleviate stress or address injuries/strains. There is nothing therapeutic or personalized about a chair massage. Sure, it might be a lift for sore muscles between flights in an airport lounge but, I believe, the reason so many massage chairs appear on resale websites is that they don't live up to the hype notr the expectations of people who buy them. My 2 cents.
You're comparing apples to oranges here. Firstly massage chairs are for mostly relaxation than actually remedying any issues. Most people getting massages in general are getting them for relaxation purposes anyways.

Most health plans cover $500 of massage a year. Most massages for an hour are close to $100. Most people work long hours and don't have time to drive to get a massage, this way they can come home and sit in their chair.

Sure the experience isn't comparable, but it's better than nothing.
Mar 14, 2010
233 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
mathewvc wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 8:54 pm

Most health plans cover $500 of massage a year. Most massages for an hour are close to $100. Most people work long hours and don't have time to drive to get a massage, this way they can come home and sit in their chair.

Sure the experience isn't comparable, but it's better than nothing.
True, but the experience of sitting in a chair alone at home can't compare to having a proper massage, imho.

I guess my point is that you are paying a HUGE amount of money upfront for something that is only "better than nothing" and lacks any visible warranty support. When was the last time you saw a massage chair repairman ad?
Dec 21, 2004
473 posts
41 upvotes
Does anyone know if a massage chair can be written off as a medical expense?
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
71 posts
58 upvotes
The CRA issued an interpretation on it back in 2009 (2009-0341601E5) and said no.

I did email my insurance provider to see if I could recover any of the cost as a health benefit. I'm 99.9% the answer will be no, but I figured it was worth a shot.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
2357 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
EuroTrance88 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 7:15 pm
Fair enough. Panasonic one goes on sale all the time at visions. Last week they had the $7000 one for $3000. I was gonna get one but I am gonna wait till Black Friday to see if there is a better deal lol...
Yeah. I go to visions to massage once a week.
Their chair is of high quality.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3014 posts
199 upvotes
pickles02 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 5:21 pm
Many extended health plans cover therapeutic massage (which gives you a far better experience than a chair in your home...) Why would anyone ever spend $2,500 - $5,000 for a chair with a one year warranty when you could get a weekly, personalized massage for less or nothing? Gee -- the "description" in the OP's ad doesn't even say whether the chair is covered in leather, plastic or fabric!!
Time constraints and convenience are a couple of reasons. Unless the massage therapist comes to your house, it's a hassle to get there. I do a agree that going to a massage therapist feels amazing but sometimes it's nice to just get a nice 10-15 minute massage to unwind before bed. If someone feels a massage chair is worth it then go for it.
Are you a new parent and looking for freebies for your newborn, go here:
Freebies for your Newborn
Nov 15, 2014
530 posts
309 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
keyser-soze wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 3:43 pm
Does Costco sell extended warranty on these?
You don't need warranty. Costco covers you with satisfaction guarantee. If it fails on you a day later or 10 years later or til the sun burns out.. you could technically bring it back for a full refund of the original purchase price. It is not on the exclusions list like computers, media and tv's. Also if they say at time of purchase, it is not under the 100% satisfaction guarantee warranty.

In this case it says on the page

"SHOP CONFIDENTLY
We are committed to offering the best value to our members, with a risk-free 100% satisfaction guarantee on both your membership and merchandise. If you have questions about your membership or products you've purchased at Costco, please visit the membership counter at your local Costco or Contact Customer Service.
Costco.ca products can be returned to any of our more than 700 Costco warehouses worldwide.
View Costco's Return Policy.
Costco Concierge Services | Technical Support
Free technical support exclusive to Costco members for select electronics and consumer goods.
How To Return Costco.ca Orders"
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
2357 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
junglemage666 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 1:40 pm
You don't need warranty. Costco covers you with satisfaction guarantee. If it fails on you a day later or 10 years later or til the sun burns out.. you could technically bring it back for a full refund of the original purchase price. It is not on the exclusions list like computers, media and tv's. Also if they say at time of purchase, it is not under the 100% satisfaction guarantee warranty.

In this case it says on the page

"SHOP CONFIDENTLY
We are committed to offering the best value to our members, with a risk-free 100% satisfaction guarantee on both your membership and merchandise. If you have questions about your membership or products you've purchased at Costco, please visit the membership counter at your local Costco or Contact Customer Service.
Costco.ca products can be returned to any of our more than 700 Costco warehouses worldwide.
View Costco's Return Policy.
Costco Concierge Services | Technical Support
Free technical support exclusive to Costco members for select electronics and consumer goods.
How To Return Costco.ca Orders"
So I can update my appliances every year without penalty?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Nov 15, 2014
530 posts
309 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
EuroTrance88 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 4:31 pm
Its at manager's discretion. Can be rejected.

https://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2 ... olicy.html
yes, if you are abusing it, they can see on your account history. If all you do is buy stuff and return them later on, you could get banned. If you are using it normally, and it indeed fails on you later on, they will honor it, unless you are bringing back things constantly.
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
71 posts
58 upvotes
The Costco one I bought is still on sale at $3k so maybe my comments, now that I've been using it for about a week, will help someone.

The "white glove" delivery men were very nice but they had never put one of these together before and the manual proved very unhelpful. There was a lot of tinkering and uncertainty (and also having to backtrack steps when we discovered we'd missed something). I'm still not 100% sure it's totally, correctly assembled. After finishing assembly we went to test it but it wouldn't fully return to normal position (it shipped in a recline position). We flipped it over to figure out what was wrong but couldn't see. When we flipped it back down, it worked okay. I later learned (by turning the lights out that night, but still seeing a shining light) that the flashlight I'd loaned the delivery men had been left in the chair. It must have been blocking the mechanism. After a bit of a fight, I was able to get the flashlight out from the inside where it had become wedged. The fancy sunwayman light is broken/cracked but the chair seems okay.

As for the chair, it wasn't as good as I was hoping. It's okay, and parts of massages feel good, but some parts don't feel nice at all.

For all the talk of 3d scanning etc it doesn't do a great job of measuring me. For example, sometimes the kneading motion (that I can tell is meant for my neck) completely misses the mark (too high) and other times it's wildly too strong (closes together so strongly/narrowly that if I didn't lift my neck, it would bruise me for sure....would not want to fall asleep on that mode b/c I'd be rudely/painfully awoken). Meanwhile, on my lower back (that bony area at the very top of your hips), it goes way too hard and hurts me. I have no meat there, and I need to lift my back up and away from the rollers when they move past that area. There's no apparent way to adjust intensity in the programmed modes. While it defeats the purpose a bit, putting a folded towel down there helps to avoid the discomfort.

I don't know if it's b/c of my body shape, but for me the arm and shoulder massage is nonexistent. It squeezes every so often but there's no actual massage sensation (just a straightforward squeeze). The arm things do have the little nobules to grip your arm though, so there is no tendency for it to push your arm out (which I've heard is a problem on some arm mechanisms).

Similar idea with the thigh airbags. I don't feel anything at all from them. I even tried keeping a pillow between my legs to see if it helped, but no luck. There's certainly no feeling of flexing hips or of pressure on the IT band (which I think is the intention). Same with the calves...the squeeze feels okay, but not what I'd call a massage.

The roller mechanism with four heads/balls does not feel like a real person. It's jerkier and doesn't feel like a natural hand. Some of the modes are nice, like shiatsu especially. Kneading is okay. Tapping is also fine, but knocking is downright unpleasant (like being punched).

The L-track is nice that it massages the bum a little bit. It seems like it helps relieve tension. But the L-track does not have any effect for the hamstrings (even the part that is reached). Maybe it's b/c the airbags don't hold me down, or maybe it's just because of my weight/body position, but I barely can tell that the roller/head mechanism is moving when it is down there under the seat. Also, as commonly reported with L tracks, the stretch mode doesn't really do much b/c of the track design.

The controls are a bit cumbersome. It has no memory, so even though I turn the heat, adjust the time and adjust foot rollers' intensity every time I use it, I will need to keep pressing those keys. Not a big deal, but probably 10 key presses. The remote is not backlit so you can't do this in the dark (when I try I often accidentally turned it off).

I was surprised that I enjoyed the foot massage. It's not that it feels good - it actually hurts a bit - but when it's over, my feet do feel quite refreshed.

Noise is not a problem. It's quiet enough that nobody upstairs can here it when I'm using it downstairs.

Conclusion, it's a mixed bag right now. The chair does feel like a good quality, heavy and sound item. So I wonder if it's a matter of just not being the right size for my body type (5'10 165lb). Certain massage spots/modes feel great, but they seem equal in number to movements that don't feel good (at all).

In case there's a period where I need to "get used to it", I'm going to keep it for a few weeks before I decide. That said, I'm glad I bought it through Costco, b/c if nothing changes then I'll more than likely return it. It's really too bad I couldn't have tried it in a local Costco before ordering.
Apr 6, 2017
77 posts
37 upvotes
I would suggest returning it. If it doesn’t feel fantastic now it’s not going to get better. Also with all the moving parts they will break down for sure at some point. I have tried many and the osim and Panasonic are a few steps higher than the china no name chairs. I find the arm massager in the arm rest a function I wouldn’t pay extra for. Just my two cents
Jan 3, 2007
61 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Did anyone get to try the costco version? Are they comfortable? Does the massager reach the head?
[OP]
Jun 8, 2008
71 posts
58 upvotes
penguindude wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 7:57 pm
Did anyone get to try the costco version? Are they comfortable? Does the massager reach the head?
It's comfortable enough both as a chair (to watch tv while getting a foot rub, for example) and as a recliner (like when getting a massage). The body scan seems to stop at top of shoulder level. For me, the kneading and shiatsu (i.e. what feels really good) doesn't go higher than that. The only massage on my neck area is like a squeezing.

Up above I wrote that the scan didn't seem to work right, b/c it was squeezing too hard. I now think that was my fault, as much as the chair. Specifically, I don't think I was pushing/keeping myself against the back well enough during the first 30 or so seconds....I didn't realize it was scanning me. So, I might have been causing it to have false readings about my size. For the last two nights I tried to do it right, and tried most modes again. The rollers no longer hurt, up at the top of the neck. It is, however, still too rough for me on the lower/lumbar area.
Jan 3, 2007
61 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
i see. i should probably go and test these chairs first before spending thousands on it