Massage Therapy Tipping

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 5:04 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16716 posts
1526 upvotes
Space for rent
I had the most painful cramp in my calf the other day. It just tensed up and my calf muscle was rock hard for about 2 minutes; the most excruciating 2 minutes in my life in recent memory.

Still hurts 2 days later.

Should have rubbed some A535 then.
Apr 30, 2013
521 posts
228 upvotes
Centre of the earth …
A good tip is a happy ending.
Jun 25, 2013
27 posts
12 upvotes
MARKHAM
The College of Massage Therapists of Ontario frowns on tipping.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2490 posts
183 upvotes
Markham
I went for a physiotherapy for my ankle, covered by OHIP. I got a massage by a licenced RMT.

Long story short, he was an old guy, recently licenced, and on stand-by. Other than some mumble jumbles about unlicenced massages can actually hurt your body, ie. chi, and damaged pressure points, his service was just like any other SPA massages. Oh yeah, he would be offended if he got tip, so I didn't want to hurt his feelings.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9256 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 2:12 pm
Tipping RMT eh...
Last time it felt like i got an elbow drop to the shoulder. She said it was deep tissue massage. So i thought it was ok. Let the professional do her thing.

Now youre making me doubt myself... lol
Who the hell tips after a medical related procedure.

If I was going to tip a massage therapist then alot more is going to have to be done.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1190 posts
361 upvotes
London
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:19 am
You guys see those videos on YouTube about chiro? The people who get them look so relieved after a session. As a chronic cracker myself I'm wondering if they work or it's all black magic.
Many of the youtube chiro videos are done with dramatic flair to raise an emotion in the viewer. Chiropractic is not really that difficult to make sense of. 1. Your nervous system controls everything. 2. Pressure on a nerve changes nerve function. 3. Your body reacts symptomatically to decreased nerve function. 4. Restore nerve function by removing pressure 5. Body responds appropriately. There are always physical limitations of matter (arthritis etc) that affect how well your body responds functionally. People that say there is no science behind it are just trying to make things complicated and have no idea what they are talking about.

Sorry for side tracking the topic OP. Don't tip RMTs. Most I know look at it more like a slight unless it is a small token of appreciation at Christmas. Many would love the warm fuzzy feeling they get when a satisfied client writes them a kind note though.
Aug 14, 2006
817 posts
31 upvotes
I guess I have been tipping my RMT for 2 years then. When my benefits run out I start paying CASH. She does a great job 45 minute session is 45 CASH but I always leave a 50$ bill as usually I always have one. She usually does end up spending a few extra minutes on me. The non-cash rate is about 72$ now. The house takes a huge cut, ie rent / tax etc.
Mar 4, 2008
359 posts
44 upvotes
BC
In BC, RMT's are not to accept tips unless it is in a spa. It is a medical profession. One would not go to their doctor and tip their doctor, same goes for an RMT treatment.

I am an RMT and I do not accept tips, I politely decline the offer.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3305 posts
792 upvotes
Ottawa
JAC wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:39 pm
Yep.

I don't tip my dentist, I'm not tipping an RMT.
My dentist's winter car is a Cayenne and his summer car is an RS7. My massage therapist drives a Corolla.

In the past my dentist has taken over $1000 for a single visit. It takes 14 visits to my massage therapist for him to take the same amount.

I tip neither because they are both medical professionals but if I did, I'd tip my massage therapist before I'd tip my dentist. I don't tip my physio either.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2123 posts
688 upvotes
Edmonton
dirtmover wrote:
Jan 16th, 2019 2:19 pm
My dentist's winter car is a Cayenne and his summer car is an RS7. My massage therapist drives a Corolla.

In the past my dentist has taken over $1000 for a single visit. It takes 14 visits to my massage therapist for him to take the same amount.

I tip neither because they are both medical professionals but if I did, I'd tip my massage therapist before I'd tip my dentist. I don't tip my physio either.
Your comparisons are ridiculous. What one chooses to drive is no indication of wealth or income. Dentists have high overhead for specialized equipment, assistants, etc. Massage therapists just need a table and some oils. This is not to mention also the high initial cost of dental school.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Shinigami