Hot Deals

[Massdrop] Amazing bang for the buck Hi-Fi IEM's, BGVP DMG (Ends at 3am EST today!)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 3:39 pm
[OP]
Jan 9, 2017
76 posts
65 upvotes

Amazing bang for the buck Hi-Fi IEM's, BGVP DMG (Ends at 3am EST today!)

Deal Link:
Price:
$99.99 USD
Savings:
28% off
Expiry:
January 13, 2019
Retailer:
Massdrop
Edit and Update after finally receiving these myself (tl;dr - Amazing IEMs, you couldn't possibly get more out of $100 if you're looking for good iems. More than lived up to it's hype.):
There's a new drop that ends today at 3am EST, 2 hours left from my time of edit, https://www.massdrop.com/buy/bgvp-dmg-iem
Quick review:
lemon07r wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:29 pm
Didn't expect too much from these IEMs, I've owned a lot of over-ear headphones and IEMs between $100 and $200, always going for whatever was recommended by the head-fi community. Every time there was something dubbed as the new amazing budget high end killer I was always a little underwhelmed or disappointed.. so I'm not the type to get on hype trains. I was hoping that they would be at least as good as my personal favorite of my owned IEMs, the Sennheiser Momentums, and to my surprise these blow anything I've had completely away. My current 1More triple-drivers doesn't even come near the DMG's league, even with the correction settings and careful tuning that I did through viper4android for my 1more iems which were already great iems as stock at their price point.. This was my initial impression just listening to the DMGs with their stock tips and filters. Just when I didn't think I could like them more, I started changing around the filters and tips. Just wow.

You can get very nice bright, crisp, airy, and clear sound with the treble filters + silicone tips without it getting very sibilant like most iems of similar sound signatures get, or you can get nice rich, full, smooth sound using the bass filters + foam tips, which makes the treble roll off a bit more (perfect for those who are sensitive to treble) and gives a slight boost to the mids. Personally I hate iems that extend too much into the high frequencies cause of sibilance but I found myself loving the treble tips (big first for me, I prefer more warmer sounds) cause of how great the highs sound through. Using these with the foam tips give it a perfect balance of tight controlled bass that's still there in good quantity without being too much, and crisp, clear highs, a long with all the other benefits of foam tips. If you're sensitive to sibilance the reference filters + foam tips are the next best combination, same sound, but slightly more rolled off at the highest frequencies. My current favorite combination has to be between the mentioned ones or using the gold filter with either tips.. I love the rich, full sound I get with the "bass" filters. The bass filters dont really add more bass, but make it feel like there is a lot more because it softens the highs a bit, taking out what little traces of harshness there was, and give the mid range a small boost giving it this amazing warm signature, goes great with the silicone tips for a very nice full bodied sound while still having very crisp and clear highs. And when you really want bass.. the bass filters + the seal from foam tips make these really pack in a ton of very nice well bodied and fun bass. Really stuck between what filters and tips I want to use cause they all sound really good, I fully expected to only like the bass filters and possibly the reference ones with foam tips to soften the highs but ended up liking them all quite a bit.

All in all, if nothing else, what I do know is that these are hands down the most comfortable and most well made headphones I've ever owned. I've had every kind of issues with past headphones, from microphonics, looseness, uncomfortable seating or feeling, etc but these have none of those issues. I imagine this is as close as you get to the comfort of custom fit iems. This was my first time wearing over the ear iems so it was a little confusing to put on at first, but very easy once I figured out how. Easily has the best quality cables out of everything I've owned, though the 1more iems had a decent cable. Idk how to describe it, it literally feels luxurious, has a nice soft supple feeling, no microphonics, doesn't feel weak at all, just a great iem cable. I already went over how great these sound, but these really are that well tuned. I can't imagine how they managed to tune these so well while keeping it "fun" sounding. I'm not big on specs cause you can have the best hardware, but it will sound bad if it's tuned bad, but for those that are, I did some research and these are rocking good hardware. The knowles drivers in these cost more to get as oem than any of the other similarly priced iems I could find, including the TFZ ones. For those of you interested we're looking at "dual high (Knowles SWFK-31736), dual mid (Knowles custom-ordered 10006), and a dual-coil graphene diaphragm dynamic low (because they're dual coil they count it as 2 drivers, but it's effectively one output)".

I was very iffy going in cause $100 is no small amount and this was my first massdrop purchase but these are honestly quite amazing and punch way above their weight. This is coming from someone who regrets most of his purchases, so definitely worth all their hype. If you already have headphones you love, these may not be for you unless you have money to blow and want to try new IEMs but they're definitely more than worth getting if you want something better and don't already have great headphones since you won't find anything better at this price point.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/PNNAATZ
And shipping experience:
lemon07r wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:29 pm
So, I wasn't charged a single cent more than the initial $99.99 for the headphones and $3.25 for the shipping. Expected drop date was the 25th, but these were shipped out early on the 4th to me via Asendia/USPS, arrived this morning on the 10th. I'm thinking the shipping/duties issues are drop specific, this being a drop that isn't affected by it. Of course YMMV, but I doubt that anyone from the GTA would get very different mileage from me.
PS, you can get another $10 off with a referral code/link making this effectively 89.99 + 3.25 USD, which is just an insane deal. There are no referral links in this post, but if you do want one, just post in this thread asking for one. If you already have an account be sure to share your referral link with people who want the referral credit because you'll get $10 too after their first purchase :). I likely won't be using massdrop again for a while since there isn't really anything I need/want (and don't have much left to spend anyways) so I hope others can benefit from referring each other instead, but if someone really needs a link and can't seem to get one pm me for mine.

Original/Old Post:
Ships to Canada, Shipping/Handling SEEMS to be $3.25 USD, this is how much I was charged for shipping to Brampton at checkout. Shipping costs can be seen with a filled out address before checkout, let us know if you get a different shipping cost.
Retail price is $139.0 USD, cheapest I've seen around is $10-$15 less than retail if you buy off of some Chinese site, which I wouldn't really trust,
No taxes charged at checkout so I'm assuming you'll likely be charged import/customs on delivery (should be around $17.39 CAD or less for taxes)

Reviews are great (I looked at a lot of them, but only ones done by good credible reviewers), almost all of them claim they are better than a lot of their more expensive IEMs and all their similarly priced ones, seems like you won't get anything better at this price range, as it was supposedly already a great bang for buck bargain at retail price.

Sound signature is a fun but balanced V-Shaped one, also comes with extra filters/nozzles that can be swapped with the stock ones to modify the acoustics for either more bass, or more treble.

I've been stalking several different sites and places to find new IEMs with removable cables to upgrade to from my 1More Triple-Driver IEMs, for a very long time now and this is the best deal I've run into so far so I went ahead and ordered a pair for myself, figured I'd share this deal here too for those who might be looking for new headphones for the new year. Drop date is January 21 so it will be a bit of a wait. To get it from other places you're looking at spending $169 ($126 USD) or more, but that is the price you can grab it for off amazon.ca.

Mod Edit: To keep this thread open, do not offer or solicit referrals.
Last edited by lemon07r on Jan 13th, 2019 12:58 am, edited 16 times in total.
52 replies
Nov 8, 2013
263 posts
147 upvotes
how do you know what the S/H fees were? I've bought from Massdrop before but got a $30-40 S/H fees. Haven't bought since but kinda wanna buy some stuff from them
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1082 posts
3496 upvotes
Several reports of people being burned with duty charges from Massdrop orders, YMMV - buyer beware.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2017
76 posts
65 upvotes
GNKRFD wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 1:32 pm
how do you know what the S/H fees were? I've bought from Massdrop before but got a $30-40 S/H fees. Haven't bought since but kinda wanna buy some stuff from them
S/H varies on the drop, some drops will even be free to Canada, some will cost insane amounts to ship to Canada or just won't at all. I've missed a lot of good deals cause of this sadly.. You can check by going to checkout, this drop checked out as only $3.25 in shipping for me (shipping to Brampton).
Leverage wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 1:33 pm
Several reports of people being burned with duty charges from Massdrop orders, YMMV - buyer beware.
Yeah, I think this goes for anything ordered out of the country.. which is why I added in OP I'm assuming there will be customs/duties. On another note, it's not like they will declare the item value more than it's actual value so I don't think it's going to end up costing more than regular taxes, unless there are other fees that I didn't catch but for these I believe they aren't (did a little digging into it).
Last edited by lemon07r on Dec 17th, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nov 8, 2013
263 posts
147 upvotes
lemon07r wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 1:35 pm
S/H varies on the drop, some drops will even be free to Canada, some will cost insane amounts to ship to Canada or just won't at all. I've missed a lot of good deals cause of this sadly.. You can check by going to checkout, this drop checked out as only $3.25 in shipping for me (shipping to Brampton).

Yeah I've seen that too, I usually try to read through the discussions/review section of returning drops before committing to see how the drop might go. This is a drop that has happened in the past at the same price, everything looks good from what I've read about the previous drop.
Actually looks like they've changed their site up, you can actually see the shipping price on items when you go to join a drop or checkout when filling out the address. Seems like they've also taken out that thing they use to have like if 20 people join the drop the price is such and such and if 40 people join then its the promo price etc.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2017
76 posts
65 upvotes
Just a heads up, 4 days left before drop ends. Pretty excited for my pair after reading around more. There are a lot of reviews and not a single one recommending anything else over these IEMs as far as into the $200 USD price range.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1990 posts
975 upvotes
Montreal
Leverage wrote:
i got about 25$CAD of custom fees for 200$USD headphones.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2017
1155 posts
286 upvotes
This guy is posting a bad deal because of his paranoia using Chinese sites like Aliexpress. His "sale price" is even higher than by buying from there. Sure, we should be buying North American sold/shipped products as much as possible but his paranoia over Chinese sites is laughable. You even get your money back if the product doesn't arrive on Aliexpress. Ship EPACKET only and it should arrive to your place in 2-3 weeks from China.

By using Massdrop you're going to get huge import/tax fees which I've seen on other "deals" from them (and people were pissed off and still are as I see the fees mentioned in newer deals)…

PS: I forgot to mention because of the Canada Post strike, trade deals and that new controversary/fight with China/Canada that the shipping costs from China to Canada have skyrocketed. So what I'm saying is... this is a good deal if you really want them, but I'd stay away until these controversies subside.
[OP]
Jan 9, 2017
76 posts
65 upvotes
BritishColumbian wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 12:32 pm
This guy is posting a bad deal because of his paranoia using Chinese sites like Aliexpress. His "sale price" is even higher than by buying from there. Sure, we should be buying North American sold/shipped products as much as possible but his paranoia over Chinese sites is laughable. You even get your money back if the product doesn't arrive on Aliexpress. Ship EPACKET only and it should arrive to your place in 2-3 weeks from China.

By using Massdrop you're going to get huge import/tax fees which I've seen on other "deals" from them (and people were pissed off and still are as I see the fees mentioned in newer deals)…

PS: I forgot to mention because of the Canada Post strike, trade deals and that new controversary/fight with China/Canada that the shipping costs from China to Canada have skyrocketed. So what I'm saying is... this is a good deal if you really want them, but I'd stay away until these controversies subside.
The sale prices from sites like Aliexpress are around $25-$35 USD more so not sure why you're trying to make claims and slander like that.. I wouldn't say I have paranoia, I've spent literally thousands buying things from those types of sites these past few months because of the sales that have been happening.. From my experience support is a hit or a miss, and the actual delivery is another coin flip itself depending on what you're buying and how it's being shipped. I think fees depend on what you're buying and it's value, double checked for IEMs, they don't get hit by any extra fees, just the 13% taxes if you're in Ontario. Seems like xblackdemonx bought $200 USD headphones only got hit by $25 in fees.

It's a pretty decent deal all things aside, a really good one if fees aren't that bad but there was nothing "laughable" here or any point for you to slander, we're all friends here just trying to find decent deals on things we want if nothing else.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
4928 posts
2744 upvotes
Leverage wrote:
Doesn’t the new nafta make purchases under $100 duty free ?
Nov 22, 2009
529 posts
72 upvotes
They have to be made in Canada, Mexico, USA.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2302 posts
360 upvotes
fdl wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 3:02 pm
Doesn’t the new nafta make purchases under $100 duty free ?
New NAFTA won't be in effect for a while so won't apply here
[OP]
Jan 9, 2017
76 posts
65 upvotes
A mini review after rocking these allll day:

Didn't expect too much from these IEMs, I've owned a lot of over-ear headphones and IEMs between $100 and $200, always going for whatever was recommended by the head-fi community. Every time there was something dubbed as the new amazing budget high end killer I was always a little underwhelmed or disappointed.. so I'm not the type to get on hype trains. I was hoping that they would be at least as good as my personal favorite of my owned IEMs, the Sennheiser Momentums, and to my surprise these blow anything I've had completely away. My current 1More triple-drivers doesn't even come near the DMG's league, even with the correction settings and careful tuning that I did through viper4android for my 1more iems which were already great iems as stock at their price point.. This was my initial impression just listening to the DMGs with their stock tips and filters. Just when I didn't think I could like them more, I started changing around the filters and tips. Just wow.

You can get very nice bright, crisp, airy, and clear sound with the treble filters + silicone tips without it getting very sibilant like most iems of similar sound signatures get, or you can get nice rich, full, smooth sound using the bass filters + foam tips, which makes the treble roll off a bit more (perfect for those who are sensitive to treble) and gives a slight boost to the mids. Personally I hate iems that extend too much into the high frequencies cause of sibilance but I found myself loving the treble tips (big first for me, I prefer more warmer sounds) cause of how great the highs sound through. Using these with the foam tips give it a perfect balance of tight controlled bass that's still there in good quantity without being too much, and crisp, clear highs, a long with all the other benefits of foam tips. If you're sensitive to sibilance the reference filters + foam tips are the next best combination, same sound, but slightly more rolled off at the highest frequencies. My current favorite combination has to be between the mentioned ones or using the gold filter with either tips.. I love the rich, full sound I get with the "bass" filters. The bass filters dont really add more bass, but make it feel like there is a lot more because it softens the highs a bit, taking out what little traces of harshness there was, and give the mid range a small boost giving it this amazing warm signature, goes great with the silicone tips for a very nice full bodied sound while still having very crisp and clear highs. And when you really want bass.. the bass filters + the seal from foam tips make these really pack in a ton of very nice well bodied and fun bass. Really stuck between what filters and tips I want to use cause they all sound really good, I fully expected to only like the bass filters and possibly the reference ones with foam tips to soften the highs but ended up liking them all quite a bit.

All in all, if nothing else, what I do know is that these are hands down the most comfortable and most well made headphones I've ever owned. I've had every kind of issues with past headphones, from microphonics, looseness, uncomfortable seating or feeling, etc but these have none of those issues. I imagine this is as close as you get to the comfort of custom fit iems. This was my first time wearing over the ear iems so it was a little confusing to put on at first, but very easy once I figured out how. Easily has the best quality cables out of everything I've owned, though the 1more iems had a decent cable. Idk how to describe it, it literally feels luxurious, has a nice soft supple feeling, no microphonics, doesn't feel weak at all, just a great iem cable. I already went over how great these sound, but these really are that well tuned. I can't imagine how they managed to tune these so well while keeping it "fun" sounding. I'm not big on specs cause you can have the best hardware, but it will sound bad if it's tuned bad, but for those that are, I did some research and these are rocking good hardware. The knowles drivers in these cost more to get as oem than any of the other similarly priced iems I could find, including the TFZ ones. For those of you interested we're looking at "dual high (Knowles SWFK-31736), dual mid (Knowles custom-ordered 10006), and a dual-coil graphene diaphragm dynamic low (because they're dual coil they count it as 2 drivers, but it's effectively one output)".

I was very iffy going in cause $100 is no small amount and this was my first massdrop purchase but these are honestly quite amazing and punch way above their weight. This is coming from someone who regrets most of his purchases, so definitely worth all their hype. If you already have headphones you love, these may not be for you unless you have money to blow and want to try new IEMs but they're definitely more than worth getting if you want something better and don't already have great headphones since you won't find anything better at this price point.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/PNNAATZ
GNKRFD wrote:
Dec 17th, 2018 1:32 pm
Leverage wrote:
xblackdemonx wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 9:44 am

i got about 25$CAD of custom fees for 200$USD headphones.
So, I wasn't charged a single cent more than the initial $99.99 for the headphones and $3.25 for the shipping. Expected drop date was the 25th, but these were shipped out early on the 4th to me via Asendia/USPS, arrived this morning on the 10th. I'm thinking the shipping/duties issues are drop specific, this being a drop that isn't affected by it. Of course YMMV, but I doubt that anyone from the GTA would get very different mileage from me.
BritishColumbian wrote:
Dec 18th, 2018 12:32 pm

I guess I wasn't posting a bad deal after all huh. Unless you consider spending ~$20 more to buy from your choice of chinese site to have it shipped all the way from Asia instead of the States via the much slower epacket (and less reliable imo) shipping method a better deal, then each to their own I suppose.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6799 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto
Tempting, If I hadn't snagged an Audeze Isine 10 a few days back for a nice price I might have given these a go.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4468 posts
1559 upvotes
Markham
Coulda had the 1more quads during boxing day for $99 on amazon. Maybe those will come around and not worry about duties

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)