http://taveshow.com/

North America’s ULTIMATE Technology & Hi-Fi Show

October 13-15, 2017, Toronto Congress Centre
Sep 2, 2017
126 posts
60 upvotes
aos007 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 6:44 pm
Brokerage fees are definitely random, unless you're a business and have an account with a broker. Duties depend on what the product is and where it's made and then taxes are on top of everything AFAIK.
Is there a way to see what has duty and doesn't? Right now I'm using the crossbordershipping site and everything that has to do with electronics has no duty, but clothing and appliances do, so I guess there's no duty for the 6xx? and for brokerage is it a flat fee or has to do with the value of the product too?
Sep 24, 2014
53 posts
80 upvotes
Jimbo67 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 6:57 pm
Is there a way to see what has duty and doesn't? Right now I'm using the crossbordershipping site and everything that has to do with electronics has no duty, but clothing and appliances do, so I guess there's no duty for the 6xx? and for brokerage is it a flat fee or has to do with the value of the product too?
From what I can remember, DHL had a flat brokerage fee of like $10-$15 and then there's tax for wherever you are located. Don't think I was charged "Duty" when I got mine. The brokerage fee depends on the shipping company though.
Sep 2, 2017
126 posts
60 upvotes
Yep, says these 4,500 ship December, the ones before early/mid November.
Dec 16, 2012
108 posts
21 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
For those who don't know, you'll most likely need an amp to power these. These will be my first headphones needing an amp and will probably go for a portable Fiio one.
Jul 7, 2017
40 posts
27 upvotes
I bought these last time in December 2016 for the same price. In Ontario it costed me $200 USD + $15 USD shipping which was $298 after conversion. Import taxes were $44. So all in all I paid $342 for headphones that are usually $500+. It's a pretty good deal I think, they've been really good.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1700 posts
309 upvotes
Scarborough
portraitofruin wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 9:14 pm
For those who don't know, you'll most likely need an amp to power these. These will be my first headphones needing an amp and will probably go for a portable Fiio one.
Think you might not be doing these headphones any justice by using a portable amp.

Have you considered looking in to the more budget friendly Schiit stacks?
Sep 6, 2011
486 posts
733 upvotes
Pro tip for DHL. Self declare via CBSA and avoid the $15 service fee charged by DHL.
Aug 30, 2006
85 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Just to clarify, headphones should have no duties charges when imported into Canada. Sales tax and brokerage fees however do get tacked onto the total price, which some mistake as duty fees.

These headphones have an unbelievable reputation to them over the passed ~20 years. I ordered mine from the August sale and am awaiting them in December where I can hopefully pair them with an Element DAC.

For those concerned about the refresh, keep in mind the refreshed model can (and likely will) cost up to twice as much as what is being offered here.
Jan 10, 2016
55 posts
10 upvotes
Brampton, ON
jono454 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 12:27 am
Think you might not be doing these headphones any justice by using a portable amp.

Have you considered looking in to the more budget friendly Schiit stacks?
Agreed, the best one I know of is the crack with speedball combo. Or try a decent tube amp.
Apr 26, 2005
527 posts
111 upvotes
Richmond
cyberspyder wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 3:00 pm
I never said they sounded worse, I am saying that they've been superseded by the HD660S, you're just pulling words out of thin air.
I think you are a little defensive. What I want to express is that HD650 still sounds pretty good. A deal is a deal. At this price, this is the best even if it's outdated.

If it is replaced by another model is irrelevant because the new model is far beyond this price range
Sep 2, 2017
126 posts
60 upvotes
isgaard wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 1:02 am
Pro tip for DHL. Self declare via CBSA and avoid the $15 service fee charged by DHL.
I do that via the cbsa site? then I have to go and pick it up at the border or something?
Jul 7, 2017
40 posts
27 upvotes
Jimbo67 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 2:51 am
I do that via the cbsa site? then I have to go and pick it up at the border or something?
You have to visit a CBSA office and fill out a form. Then you can email a scan of the form to the courier. If they try to deliver the package before you self declare, you can decline the package and ask them to hold it. You'll have a few days to go pay it and then you can pick up your package at the courier's warehouse.
Sep 17, 2007
546 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
Bjordd wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 4:01 am
You have to visit a CBSA office and fill out a form. Then you can email a scan of the form to the courier. If they try to deliver the package before you self declare, you can decline the package and ask them to hold it. You'll have a few days to go pay it and then you can pick up your package at the courier's warehouse.
All that for $15? Bloody hell... No way to do that process online?
Last edited by DARSHAKJUST4U on Oct 14th, 2017 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)