• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 5:29 am
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1208 posts
205 upvotes
DARSHAKJUST4U wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 6:08 am
All that for $15? No way to do that process online?
As hard as it is to believe in the year 2017, their website says you must go to the office and fill in a form. Where that office is located is a bit of a mystery, as their office finder shows locations that look to have nothing to do with collecting duties (such as cruise ship operations, if you are in downtown Vancouver).

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/couri ... n-eng.html
What are the steps I need to know?

When the courier attempts to deliver the shipment, you must refuse delivery and advise the courier that you will pay duties and/or taxes directly to the CBSA.
Write down the unique shipment identification/tracking number. The shipment will be returned to the courier's warehouse for storage for a limited period of time.
Next, visit a local CBSA office that offers accounting services to the public. You will need to provide specific details about the shipment, indicated on the commercial invoice.
You will need the shipment identification/tracking number, the commercial invoice (receipt), and personal identification when you visit the CBSA.
If someone else is doing this step on your behalf, the CBSA requires a letter of authorization and a photocopy of your identification.
You will be given an official receipt indicating that you have paid duties and/or taxes paid to the CBSA.
A copy of this receipt must be presented to the courier, either in person or by fax, at which time receipt or delivery of the shipment may be arranged.
Sep 2, 2017
126 posts
60 upvotes
Thanks for the info, I think for $15 I'll just pay it. Closest office is probably $10 of gas for me, ha.
Sep 17, 2007
546 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
Jimbo67 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 12:44 pm
Thanks for the info, I think for $15 I'll just pay it. Closest office is probably $10 of gas for me, ha.
Wrong, $20. U gotta ask them to hold it and go back to pick it up again.. Muahaha
Nov 25, 2016
138 posts
100 upvotes
This seems like a good deal but wouldn't be as good value per dollar as my Philips SHP-9500. That said, it is very hard to put value on good sound.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3150 posts
259 upvotes
I think something's wrong with the SHP-9500 (in a very good way) ... I don't know many headphones that beat it on a dollar per value chart. Although I would put the Sennheiser HD6XX series pretty darn close.
10 years ago the Sennheiser HD6XX series were as good as it would get, they are still as good and I would say beat anything else on the market on a pure dollar value chart. They also have excellent scalability as you improve your listening chain with dedicated DAC/Amps. I would say the fact that they scale so well is the reason to grab them over the Philips. The Philips won't scale near as well.
If you're planning on staying away from dedicated DAC/Amps and lossless files, then the Philips is probably more than good enough.

Cheers,
nicermog wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 1:58 pm
This seems like a good deal but wouldn't be as good value per dollar as my Philips SHP-9500. That said, it is very hard to put value on good sound.
Dec 16, 2012
108 posts
21 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
jono454 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 12:27 am
Think you might not be doing these headphones any justice by using a portable amp.

Have you considered looking in to the more budget friendly Schiit stacks?
I use a Fiio X3II for listening to music mainly. Would the Schitt stack make sense? I'm still new to all this.
Sep 2, 2017
126 posts
60 upvotes
Schiit stack is a great starter amp/DAC for the price that would make the 6xx and other headphones sound great for $199 USD.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1700 posts
309 upvotes
Scarborough
portraitofruin wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 11:28 am
I use a Fiio X3II for listening to music mainly. Would the Schitt stack make sense? I'm still new to all this.
While the HD6xx is probably great for in-ear headphones and headphones that generally don't require too much power, a good way to put it is using your X3II with the HD6xx is like feeding a Lamborghini with regular gas. It'll still work but not at it's full potential.

I can't comment on the HD6xx with the Schiit Stack but I do have a buddy who owns the Schiit Magni and Modi stack with the HD800 and they sound pretty good for a budget setup on a $1500+ headphone.

It might be worthwhile to do some digging around to see what budget setups can make the HD6xx sing.

Also, if you plan to use them outside keep in mind that they leak sound so everyone around you is going to hear what you're hearing.
Apr 26, 2005
527 posts
111 upvotes
Richmond
I got a SONY PHA-3 and paired them with a balanced cable.

Sounds amazing
Feb 2, 2017
179 posts
139 upvotes
Received mine today. I paid $22 for COD at Canada Post.
Jun 8, 2007
285 posts
339 upvotes
Langley
jono454 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 1:18 pm
While the HD6xx is probably great for in-ear headphones and headphones that generally don't require too much power, a good way to put it is using your X3II with the HD6xx is like feeding a Lamborghini with regular gas. It'll still work but not at it's full potential.

I can't comment on the HD6xx with the Schiit Stack but I do have a buddy who owns the Schiit Magni and Modi stack with the HD800 and they sound pretty good for a budget setup on a $1500+ headphone.

It might be worthwhile to do some digging around to see what budget setups can make the HD6xx sing.

Also, if you plan to use them outside keep in mind that they leak sound so everyone around you is going to hear what you're hearing.
It's actually like putting premium gas into a car that only needs regular. The HD6XX absolutely does not need a high-end headphone amp to sound awesome.
The HD800, yes. Those are picky headphones when it comes to amps.
Jan 10, 2016
55 posts
10 upvotes
Brampton, ON
bomberman447 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:06 pm
I didn't pay close to that when I bought these last year when the dollar was far worse.
$300 CAD (@1.38) w/ shipping and $23 duties/tax to Alberta. At current exchange rates it would be around $270 CDN and then duties.

These are awesome headphones, have been my daily driver since I got them.
This is my story as well. I dont know someone would exaggerate the price by well over a $100 and discourage others. These are awesome headphones and i do not regret them one bit. It cost me like $270 cad all in for them as I picked them up at niagra.
Sep 2, 2017
126 posts
60 upvotes
Prestox wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 8:06 pm
It's actually like putting premium gas into a car that only needs regular. The HD6XX absolutely does not need a high-end headphone amp to sound awesome.
The HD800, yes. Those are picky headphones when it comes to amps.
They don't need but they definitely sound WAY better with a nice powerful amp, these headphones are known scale a ton, one of the reasons I like them more than the HD660S. As do the HD800, and the HD800 aren't really picky, it's just peoples preference, something sounding amazing to one person can sound ear piercing and fatiguing to another, probably why the HD800S came out with tamer treble.
Jun 15, 2017
39 posts
8 upvotes
Jimbo67 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 12:09 pm
Schiit stack is a great starter amp/DAC for the price that would make the 6xx and other headphones sound great for $199 USD.
I dont think they make de shiit stack anymore. You gotta buy them seperatly or get Fulla 2 or Jotunheim.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)