Investing

Massive, corrupt B.C. cannabis, crypto, mining and energy shares scheme alleged by Securities Commission

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
6314 posts
1580 upvotes
GTA

Massive, corrupt B.C. cannabis, crypto, mining and energy shares scheme alleged by Securities Commission

B.C.’s top securities cop is alleging a corrupt, made-in-B.C. share distribution scheme that has left retail investors holding on to a significant amount of depreciated cannabis, cryptocurrency, mining and alternative energy stocks listed on the highly-speculative Canadian Securities Exchange (CSE).
https://biv.com/article/2018/12/massive ... me-alleged

A pretty serious scandal unfolding that is worth following if you have investments in the crypto/cannabis/junior mining space.

The Deep Dive has a handy/updated list of shell companies, individuals and tickers involved in the alleged Bridgemark scheme. It is by no means a complete list: http://thedeepdive.ca/the-bridgemark-gr ... -involved/

The alleged scheme was originally outed by the grassroots retail shareholder campaign on Twitter and on ceo.ca: #AllSharesMatter

https://twitter.com/hashtag/allsharesmatter

https://ceo.ca/allsharesmatter
Last edited by izzyzz on Dec 8th, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3305 posts
2694 upvotes
The NORTH
Oh god... BC Jr. Miner/pot stock on the CSE....

Please don't be mine, please don't be mine....

Checks 11 companies? NOT MINE!!!

Reading article and I'm still worried because company I invested in recently did a private placement and has been haulted for a month, not I gotta figure out if they used this consultant firm.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
11330 posts
4625 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I don't know why anyone would be surprised by this. After all, we are talking about a lot of big money floating around which is looking for a home especially with the decline of the housing market. And then you throw in the fact that cannabis prior to legalization was the sole domain for the underworld and now with legalization, I'm sure some of those underworld types were looking for a way to make back their money.
Jun 28, 2018
413 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
I mean.... it is the CSE (+TSXV).... where the least transparent companies can most easily get onto secondary markets to raise money... (and it is crypto... cannabis... mining and alt energy.... some of the type of companies that can have the least transparency in costs and actual assets because how many people trying to get an edge into an early stock actually are able to look into the company aside from what they say they have?)
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
6314 posts
1580 upvotes
GTA
johnnychi wrote:
Dec 9th, 2018 12:00 pm
I mean.... it is the CSE (+TSXV).... where the least transparent companies can most easily get onto secondary markets to raise money... (and it is crypto... cannabis... mining and alt energy.... some of the type of companies that can have the least transparency in costs and actual assets because how many people trying to get an edge into an early stock actually are able to look into the company aside from what they say they have?)
Transparency-wise... All those questionable PPs got flagged because CSE requires public disclosure of the PP participants’ names and addresses. Retail investors were able to connect various companies and individuals to Bridgemark associates and their shell companies, then file complaints with BCSC. There is no comparable disclosure on TSX / TSXV, so what is known so far may just be the tip of the iceberg.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
6314 posts
1580 upvotes
GTA
An older Vice piece involving Justin Liu and his mommy:

Inside the Shady World of a Canadian Illegal Weed Dispensary Chain

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/d3dj ... sary-chain

“Arrests, moldy weed, Hells Angels, and fat stacks of cash. How one national chain is allegedly exploiting its young workers.”
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4116 posts
1478 upvotes
Calgary
Not a surprise...as seen by the cryptocurrency thread where some bragged about using credit cards to buy cryptocurrency, weed and cryptocurrency has become a haven for scams and ponzi schemes to feed on the uninformed that watch Youtube videos for get rich quick investment ideas.
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 8th, 2018 8:13 pm
Oh god... BC Jr. Miner/pot stock on the CSE....

Please don't be mine, please don't be mine....

Checks 11 companies? NOT MINE!!!

Reading article and I'm still worried because company I invested in recently did a private placement and has been haulted for a month, not I gotta figure out if they used this consultant firm.
Just because your investment was not part of this particular scam, does not mean it is not in a another separate scam with your money already gone. Make sure to do your due dilligence and collect back if you can, if you have any doubt in the legitimacy...