Tags:
None
Jun 28, 2010
253 posts
38 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

Master bedroom colder/hotter than the rest of the house

Hi,

There seems to be a problem with my master bedroom. In the summer months the room is hotter than the rest of the house, and in the winter months it's a lot colder than the rest of my house. Also whenever the weather is humid or muggy the room is humid and muggy too. Is there a problem with my insulation? Or could it be that there are leaks in my windows? The house is 8 years old and I moved in a year ago. What should I do? What type of expert should I call? My friend did an energy audit of their house and he said the auditor was able to show him where all the leaks were in his house. Is this what I need to do?

Also I'm totally comfortable with taking down the drywall myself and putting in insulation where needed, but I don't know if that will help.

Anyone know what I should do at this point? Should I take down the drywall myself to see whats going on? or should i hire someone to find out?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2001
6743 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
look up the specs on your furnace and central AC - are they strong enough to do the job?
check your vents, they should have baffles installed, make sure they are turned enough to let in the heat/cold.

this may sound funny, but go around your home and close off (~20%) the other ones in your home so that your master bedroom can get more airflow.

airflow balancing is very important to be able to enjoy a good hvac system.
Dec 6, 2009
232 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
DonkeyKong wrote:
Oct 12th, 2010 9:04 pm
Hi,

There seems to be a problem with my master bedroom. In the summer months the room is hotter than the rest of the house, and in the winter months it's a lot colder than the rest of my house. Also whenever the weather is humid or muggy the room is humid and muggy too. Is there a problem with my insulation? Or could it be that there are leaks in my windows? The house is 8 years old and I moved in a year ago. What should I do? What type of expert should I call? My friend did an energy audit of their house and he said the auditor was able to show him where all the leaks were in his house. Is this what I need to do?

Also I'm totally comfortable with taking down the drywall myself and putting in insulation where needed, but I don't know if that will help.

Anyone know what I should do at this point? Should I take down the drywall myself to see whats going on? or should i hire someone to find out?

Is your Master bedroom directly above a garage?
if this is the case.. watch Holmes on Holmes.

Is the master bedroom the furthest room away from the furnace?

And yes, An Energy audit would be an excellent way to determine any air flow leakage problems. It would probably be the best place to start if the questions above don't help. BTW, your only eligible for Provincial Grants until March 31st 2011. I'm sure you would be able to have an Audit done afterwards.. but no government money opportunities.. :cry:
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
10645 posts
1652 upvotes
Toronto
My master bedroom is above the garage and I am lucky to report that I do not have any problems with it being too cold in the winter. I think the main reason is adequate air flow. This room was an add on and so who ever designed it knew what they were doing. Instead of having the usual single register per room by rule, I have 3 registers. The register in the closet and ensuite also help a bit. In total, plenty of air flow, so the room is cool in summer and warm in winter.
Aug 30, 2007
960 posts
15 upvotes
I have this problem as well on a brand new build, its above the living room, and the attic entrance is in our walk in closet... right now at night it gets to 0C, if we don't turn on the heat at all, its decent to sleep in the master bedroom, but other rooms will be freezing, if we turn on the heat to auto 24C other rooms are comfortable but we have to sleep without a blanket or covers.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
57 upvotes
for those with rooms over the garage there is most likely a lack of insulation/vapour barrier which is why your rooms are colder.

for those with just cooler/warmer rooms definitely try to play with the registers in rooms (closing/opening) to 'balance' your home out. I found for the most even heating on our upper floor was to open ALL the registers and leave the doors open (even to unused rooms).

The main level we have about 50% closed off (so only one vent per room) as well.

The other thing to consider is not just output but the return air. Especially with airconditioning not enough return air will limit the ability to cool rooms etc. Often master bedrooms may not get a cold air return and that will cause significant issues in trying to maintain even temperatures.
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.
× < >