• Apr 13th, 2019 6:57 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6958 posts
3064 upvotes
ON
superbigjay wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 1:12 pm
But out of curiosity, have you found a cover that fits that grill?
This is what I use for my Acorn Chargriller . Fits great and is waterproof.
https://www.chargriller.com/products/akorn-grill-cover
The only caveat, my shelves fold down on the Acorn, not sure about this model. If you can remove them easily and store them under the grill it will work fine.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2032 posts
1094 upvotes
montreal
dilligafeh wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 9:53 am
This is what I use for my Acorn Chargriller . Fits great and is waterproof.
https://www.chargriller.com/products/akorn-grill-cover
The only caveat, my shelves fold down on the Acorn, not sure about this model. If you can remove them easily and store them under the grill it will work fine.
No the shelves don't fold down on this Master Chef.
(If they do, I don't know how ...).

So this cover will not work for a daily use.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2032 posts
1094 upvotes
montreal
superbigjay wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 9:55 am
When I think about it ...
I don't even have to stop at costco to try...
My coleman propane bbq already uses a similar costco cover that I bought 4 years ago.
So just have to try that one on to see how it fits ...
FYI, I have tried the Costco cover on this kamado bbq, and it is way too large for it.
May 22, 2013
45 posts
16 upvotes
Ontario
superbigjay wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 8:17 pm
Woooo!!!!
Just did some Coq-Au-Porc on the this kamado, with some mesquite wood to add some flavor.

Grrrreeeaaaat!!!

Very satisfied.

Thanks OP!
Usually just throw the wood chips directly into the charcoal about half way through the cooking process. One of my favorites is this.

Char-Broil Whiskey Wood Chips: Whiskey wood is made from aged American whiskey barrels and has strong, sweet smoke with an aromatic tang that adds a smooth taste.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
3009 posts
945 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Canuck887 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2018 10:46 am
FYI I have a 17.5% discount at Canadian tire if anyone wants an extra $40 off their purchase.
Make that 2 of us. If you don't mind.

I see someplace have 1 in stock. I'm afraid they are ghost models tho...
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1697 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
Place an order for ispu. I did it with my store which shows stock of one and they really only had one. Haven't opened mine yet. What starter do u guys normally use? Or do I need it? Never had a porcelain grill before.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
3009 posts
945 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Haha if I can get that 17.5 extra percentage, I'm in for 1.

Hopefully @Canuck887 , can hook me up.

I know it's not a big green egg, or a pit boss, or a vision grill. But is this a decent charcoal grill at least?
Last edited by JRGUINNESS on Sep 2nd, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
2032 posts
1094 upvotes
montreal
JRGUINNESS wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 1:32 pm
Haha if I can't get that 17.5 extra percentage, I'm in for 1.

I know it's not a big green egg, or a pit boss, or a vision grill. But is this a decent charcoal grill at least?
We have done some:
- burgers
- coq-au-porc medaillon (pork-chicken)
- chicken drumsticks
- chicken wings

Awesome!

If someone has one of those 15% coupon... I would use it for a second unit at the camping!
;-)

Side-note:
the thermometer on my unit has some humidity in it (fog).
I have to contact customer service to get a replacement ... as this usually ends up in some rust inside the thermometer making it unreliable.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2015
3009 posts
945 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks man.

That's all I'm looking for. Chicken wing, burgers, steaks. Would love to try a pork shoulder and brisket, but I know thats way more advanced.

But for 250$ would be worth it for the first 3, as even a Webber kettle is 150.
Sep 15, 2011
877 posts
430 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
JRGUINNESS wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 4:16 pm
Thanks man.

That's all I'm looking for. Chicken wing, burgers, steaks. Would love to try a pork shoulder and brisket, but I know thats way more advanced.

But for 250$ would be worth it for the first 3, as even a Webber kettle is 150.
Pork shoulder is a long way from advanced - they remarkably forgiving. As long as you have time pork shoulder is trivial. Give it a rub with whatever you want, settle in your kamado somewhere in the 250°ish area and sit back and let it do its thing. I personally put it in a foil pan when it hits about 165-170°F and wrap with tinfoil to speed through a stall but that's not needed. Key for pork shoulder is to get it fully cooked, it should literally fall apart if you try to move it vigorously.
Jul 5, 2004
23633 posts
3124 upvotes
matt4670 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 1:12 pm
Place an order for ispu. I did it with my store which shows stock of one and they really only had one. Haven't opened mine yet. What starter do u guys normally use? Or do I need it? Never had a porcelain grill before.
How you start it depends on what you're cooking and what temperature you want to maintain. Chimney and/or charcoal starter is easiest if you want to light a bunch of charcoal and get it hot. If you want low and slow, you only want to light a couple pieces at a time. So a cotton swap with some alcohol on it (or some other flammable liquid) placed under a couple smaller pieces of charcoal will be a good way to only light a few.
Jul 5, 2004
23633 posts
3124 upvotes
hoody123 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 5:47 pm
Pork shoulder is a long way from advanced - they remarkably forgiving. As long as you have time pork shoulder is trivial. Give it a rub with whatever you want, settle in your kamado somewhere in the 250°ish area and sit back and let it do its thing. I personally put it in a foil pan when it hits about 165-170°F and wrap with tinfoil to speed through a stall but that's not needed. Key for pork shoulder is to get it fully cooked, it should literally fall apart if you try to move it vigorously.
Yep, but just remember that you want indirect heat, not direct, so make sure you buy a heat deflector
Sep 15, 2011
877 posts
430 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
Shaner wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 6:30 pm
Yep, but just remember that you want indirect heat, not direct, so make sure you buy a heat deflector
This is true, forgot to mention indirect heat. Thanks for pointing out.
Mar 6, 2017
76 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the tip - I got myself one in Toronto. It is really nice and relatively easy to control, temperature wise.