Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Masterchef

Is it just me, or is the latest Masterchef (Masterchef 3) much more riveting to watch than any of the other cooking competition shows? It's got such a different vibe than say, Hell's Kitchen, where everyone's just out to get one another. With MasterChef, it just seems like even though they are in a competition, there's such a sense of comaraderie.
619 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
Yeah I'm really digging it despite not really being a fan of Ramsey. I couldn't believe how fascinated I was at that egg competition last night!
vero95 wrote: LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote: $5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1858 posts
306 upvotes
Mississauga
flashy_mcflash wrote: Yeah I'm really digging it despite not really being a fan of Ramsey. I couldn't believe how fascinated I was at that egg competition last night!
OMG me too! I was amazed at how a simple competition could reel me in....couldn't look away! ;)
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
I am a fan of this show. Been watching since Season 1. It's much more interesting than predicable Hell's Kitchen.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2060 posts
1906 upvotes
I've watched this show since first season and I love it. Top Chef is my other favourite one.

The only thing that annoys me is they always show Christine crying in the previews. It gets boring so fast.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7608 posts
7342 upvotes
Monti Monti Monti! Super underdog.

From her activities outside the show (new radio DJ gig), cooking blog (http://slap-yo-momma.com/)... I get the vibe she's used the show as a platform for other opportunities, but not necessarily from being the winner.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3566 posts
1644 upvotes
Brampton
flashy_mcflash wrote: I couldn't believe how fascinated I was at that egg competition last night!
lol, +1
kinda digging felix too
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7608 posts
7342 upvotes
One of the Season 1 contestants (Sheetal) had a blog on the behind the scenes stuff on the show....

For the kitchen competitions, right after Ramsay says "Your time starts now!".... they actually stop the competition. The producer steps in and gives an instruction list and rules for the competition so that the contestants are clear to what is being judged and/or how to prepare said item.

So for last night's egg competition... when Josh said "I've never cooked a poached egg before"... the producers should have provided each of them with a quick instruction list/recipe on how to poach an egg. But he had still had to cook it for the first time in his life.

When the cooks are sequestered, they also get training from the three hosts on their off-days. So for that fish competition a few episodes ago, the hosts may have been teaching the home cooks how to filet/de-bone/cook different types of fish a few days prior to filming.

The cooks aren't always doing things or using new ingredients for the first time as depicted on the show.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Do you think they keep Christine partially for ratings?
Jan 3, 2008
978 posts
268 upvotes
W.GTA
Next week should be interesting, can't wait.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
I kind of wish they showed a little more of their cooking technique but otherwise, I really like the way it's presented. Joe is the best judge, so surly!

They are kind of telegraphing that they are really biased towards Christine. I think she has to win unless she really screws something up.
vero95 wrote: LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
I pouched an egg for the first time this morning after seeing the egg competition. It turned out good (at least in my opinion) I sprinkled some pepper and smoked paprika on top, and placed it on a butter slice of toast. Yum. It makes me want to try new things. Oh, I dig Monti and Felix.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3612 posts
115 upvotes
GTA
Anybody follow the Australian version? It is at episode 64 and still going strong. Only seen up to number 10. Difference is the yankee version speeds through the process while the ozzie version goes low and slow with dashes of how-to cooking techniques. Too bad the local version does not do the same as I think there would be a market for all the new foodies out there.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
3612 posts
115 upvotes
GTA
FYI: The ozzie version is currently at season four.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
2060 posts
1906 upvotes
The Australian version is definitely superior than America's version.

If people haven't done so, I highly recommend people to watch Junior Masterchef Australia. Very inspirational. All the kids have great talent for cooking.
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
595 posts
23 upvotes
TORONTO
The US version brings out the worst people. The judges are cruel and arrogant as anyone can be, the contestants are pitted against each other. Where as in Australian version, its all about the love of the arts, a shared experience where everyone supports there team mates and the individual, more laughter, tears and great food.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
I don't watch reality TV for hugs and high art.
Oct 16, 2006
116 posts
11 upvotes
Forhad wrote: The US version brings out the worst people. The judges are cruel and arrogant as anyone can be, the contestants are pitted against each other. Where as in Australian version, its all about the love of the arts, a shared experience where everyone supports there team mates and the individual, more laughter, tears and great food.
+1
I find the American version of the show to be pretty sensationalized and doesn't actually focus on the cooking that much. The constant voice overs remind me of Hell's Kitchen as well. I love that the Australian contestants (and the professional chefs they're competing against in immunity challenges) will actually step up and help their opponents. Yes, they're competing but they want a fair fight and to know they bested their rival's best performance. I feel that with the addition of the MasterClass shows, you really get the impression that these people are aspiring cooks and not reality show contestants.