Shopping Discussion

MasterPass by MasterCard & other online shopping security concerns

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 5:42 pm

Poll: Can 4th party data collection through MP be trusted? Will you continue to MasterPass?

• Total votes: 6. You have voted on this poll.
4th Parties in Cookie Consent Tool are not safe

17%
MasterPass & Cookie Consent Tool can be trusted as is

0%
I will discontinue using MasterPass

33%
I will continue using MasterPass

50%
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada

MasterPass by MasterCard & other online shopping security concerns

I'm really not sure where this topic would go as it affects how we shop online but no one store in particular; it does affect our online payment methods.

So my immediate concern is the list of cookies & tracking involved when using MasterPass. MasterCard has provided a "Cookie Consent Tool" to manage everything from the ads that a dozen tracking & data collection organizations want to promote to you. As well as customized shopping carts & checkouts, keeping you logged in, discount promos. MasterPass provided this address (watchout it is not a secure address with https) http://info.evidon.com/pub_info/14745?v=1 . I recommend manually adding the https like I do here https://info.evidon.com/pub_info/14745?v=1 . So Advice, which companies in the list should I "Opt-Out" of giving them cookie access permission to my MasterPass & online retailer shopping info. Some organizations if you opt-out you can't opt-back-in later.

I'd like this thread to grow as a highlight or quick tip about specific safety concerns with any online shopping method/feature/payment means that is worth pointing out to other users. It's important that we are all warned of anything we may do/use online that can compromise our private info. Any other organizations that you think RFD community should be warned, against having shopping info? I find it creepy that MasterPass has a dozen (I guess 4th party) info collectors piggybacking off a MasterCard service. I always knew cashback and referral discounts work in this manner but I figured, like in the case of eBates, no private info is shared and the 4th party; data collection gathers only from eBates and not directly from customer transactions.
Ebay Feedback Score:55 | 68 Pos | 100%
My Heat 25-1-0

[POST=5799853]Best Quality DVD Burn I've Seen[/POST]
My Sale/Trade Lists [THREAD=399765]Computers[/THREAD]
8 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think MasterPass completely reveals financial information to the merchant unlike PayPal or possibly Visa Checkout 3rd party payment system. If it were paypal, just the PayPal ID would be revealed to the merchant and the money would be sent to the merchant from PayPal. MasterPass seems to provide to the merchant, the card type (credit issuer), the last 4 digits of the card, the expirery date, and the financial institution used. I do not know how precise the info provided is but I was surprised to see all these details posted into the order form when using MasterPass. Even which card I chose to pay with out of my collection in the "wallet" area. If they're going to post all this to the merchant, what's the difference or even benefit over just pasting card details and financial institution info directly into the merchant's transaction form myself? This makes MasterPass seem even less private due to the added eyes of 4th party tracking and logging through MasterPass.
My Heat 25-1-0

Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18405 posts
3069 upvotes
GTA West
I'm always suspicious of some payment tool that adds another 'layer' between your money and the merchant.
Even with online shopping, the simplest 'payment chain' seems to be:
Your Credit card account at your bank > VISA / MC processing network > The merchant's payment processor > The merchant's bank account
That's 4 layers.

I can see what MasterPass is trying to do, which is to reduce payment friction so people can impulse shop more easily.
But what I want to know is what will happen when there is fraud. These parties will all blame just each other, or claim you didn't keep your MasterPass password secure or something.
Fewer parties involved is better, IMO.
This is just another reason why I'm reluctant to use Android Pay, Apple Pay, etc.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1611 posts
544 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
Fretting about cookies is a waste of time, really. It's reasonable to install an adblocker and enable privacy protections there, but poking around in a tool like this? Why bother?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25837 posts
12002 upvotes
Ottawa
Can't be worse than the HD and Equifax breach.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2004
5047 posts
151 upvotes
Montreal, QC, Canada
vkizzle wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 7:31 am
Can't be worse than the HD and Equifax breach.
Actually IMO they're equal, it's the identical info being shared or traced. Finally it's never the stolen money that is the danger, but the identity theft that can follow which is insanely difficult to undo. They make victims go through hoops to prove they didn't create additional identities and profiles. The very system that is supposed to make it impossible for one person to access a profile that someone else created to begin with lol.

I like 3rd party payment systems like PayPal because the idea is only the middle person sees any financial identification. Merchant never sees this info and the result is far fewer eyes having access to your financial identity. The way MP seems to operate does the opposite. They actually invite outside organizations (4th parties) that have nothing to do with the transaction to view all the transaction details, even financial identification, for their profit. Right from sign up there is a dozen organizations identified in the cookie consent tool. I'm not stressing over cookie micromanagement. I usually block 3rd party cookies and specific domains that I never actively visit anyway. I'm concerned about permitting or inviting even more eyes than would normally be involved just because I use MP. It seems even worse than inputing ones credit card directly into a merchant's website; worse than staples, walmart, memory express, amazon marketplace sellers.
My Heat 25-1-0

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
25837 posts
12002 upvotes
Ottawa
Ghetto_Child wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 3:13 pm
Actually IMO they're equal, it's the identical info being shared or traced. Finally it's never the stolen money that is the danger, but the identity theft that can follow which is insanely difficult to undo. They make victims go through hoops to prove they didn't create additional identities and profiles. The very system that is supposed to make it impossible for one person to access a profile that someone else created to begin with lol.

I like 3rd party payment systems like PayPal because the idea is only the middle person sees any financial identification. Merchant never sees this info and the result is far fewer eyes having access to your financial identity. The way MP seems to operate does the opposite. They actually invite outside organizations (4th parties) that have nothing to do with the transaction to view all the transaction details, even financial identification, for their profit. Right from sign up there is a dozen organizations identified in the cookie consent tool. I'm not stressing over cookie micromanagement. I usually block 3rd party cookies and specific domains that I never actively visit anyway. I'm concerned about permitting or inviting even more eyes than would normally be involved just because I use MP. It seems even worse than inputing ones credit card directly into a merchant's website; worse than staples, walmart, memory express, amazon marketplace sellers.
You've convinced me, I'm not using Masterpass anymore.
How about verified by Visa?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1890 posts
279 upvotes
Red Deer
I signed up from MP to take advantage of Costco's $25 off $100 and after using it once I have since deleted my MP account. I found using MP to be no more convenient than entering my info into the sellers system directly.