Students

Masters of health administration vs Masters of Health Informatics

[OP]
Jul 12, 2007
210 posts
13 upvotes

Masters of health administration vs Masters of Health Informatics

Hi everybody,
Just wondering if anyone has done a masters in health administration or masters of health informatics and what has that led to? Just looking for more information on these masters and what jobs these masters have lead people to, and the salary achieved from these masters. I have currently worked for a few years in the health care field as a MRT, and am looking to upgrade myself by doing one of these masters but am not sure which one is better.
Thanks in advance!
9 replies
May 19, 2015
584 posts
194 upvotes
Depends on where you see your career moving towards, I know many allied health professionals who did MHA (paid) as part of their new manager duties as it was part of the requirements to hold their job
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
[OP]
Jul 12, 2007
210 posts
13 upvotes
SignedA wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 10:39 pm
Depends on where you see your career moving towards, I know many allied health professionals who did MHA (paid) as part of their new manager duties as it was part of the requirements to hold their job
I wanna increase my pay and move towards management roles. I have not seen many places in ontario that offer a MHa besides ryerson and uoft.
May 19, 2015
584 posts
194 upvotes
They went to uoft

But it didn’t get them their management roles they were already given them when they were required to obtain a MHA
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone

Thumbs up if this post helped you 👍🏻☺️
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5537 posts
3146 upvotes
Richmond Hill
MHI was a joke in terms of content - but most of us ended up with pretty decent gigs after. Most folks ended up in project management, consulting and analyst roles.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
[OP]
Jul 12, 2007
210 posts
13 upvotes
aeba7 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 10:55 am
MHI was a joke in terms of content - but most of us ended up with pretty decent gigs after. Most folks ended up in project management, consulting and analyst roles.
Where did you go for MHI? Uoft or Uwaterloo?
Also if you do not mind me asking what is the salary for those kinds of jobs project management, consulting and analyst roles? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5537 posts
3146 upvotes
Richmond Hill
firey3 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 8:27 am
Also if you do not mind me asking what is the salary for those kinds of jobs project management, consulting and analyst roles? Thanks!
UofT

Project managers are 80k or more. As an analyst, I made 65k, and at the same time I was consulting for $60/h. A few of my MRT and nursing friends ended up in senior analyst roles, making about 70-80k, while still putting in a few night/weekend shifts at the hospital.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Nov 9, 2011
423 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
firey3 wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 8:27 am

PM 80K
Consulting 60K-200K
Analyst 60K
Jul 22, 2016
66 posts
34 upvotes
Do some research on the digital health job market in Canada before opting for an MHI. It doesn't seem very inspiring
Oct 11, 2018
1 posts
Hey, I'm a prospective applicant to UofT's MHI program. Do you have any advice for how to increase my IT/health informatics knowledge as I'm coming from a nursing background? Should I emphasize my nursing knowledge in my statement of interest to set me apart from other applicants? Thank you!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)