• Nov 19th, 2017 7:21 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
334 posts
29 upvotes
Edmonton

maternity/parental leave question

Hi my wife's due date is Dec 15th and because we don't have any family members living in Canada, I would like to take some time off to take care of my wife and new born baby.

Quick question for EI

If I take parental leave when she is on maternity leave(16 weeks), can we both get EI ?

I know if we both are on parental leave at the same time, one of us will get EI but since she will be on maternity leave and I will be on parental leave we both should be able to get EI but not 100% sure.

I called service canada multiple times but was unable to speaking to the reps

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7879 posts
565 upvotes
Yes, you can both get ei simultaneously. Just note the amount of time you take off reduces from the amount of time she can take off. Only one of you has to clear the 2 week wait period before ei payments. Make sure you have your records of employment leading up to it (ROE).

I'm assuming you have no work top up?

You may want to consider taking the time off as vacation depending on your situation.

Congrats and Gl. Good choice to stay at home.

For my kids I banked vacation and took the initial month after birth off. It's a crazy time and good to be home just focused on family well being.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13196 posts
672 upvotes
First, see if your job has any parental leave available. My first company (Bayer) gave 8 weeks full salary. So my wife was receiving EI and I was topped up (from nothing) for the 8 weeks.
Apr 23, 2011
35 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Maternity is 15 weeks (mother only)
Parental is 35 weeks (can be shared between between parents).

Waiting period is only one week now and is only served by one parent.

If your work tops up, you can actually make the same or more on parental leave seeing as you’re not paying for transportation to work, lunch, coffee etc...
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
334 posts
29 upvotes
Edmonton
Sadly no top up from the work so I will lose a lot of money but at least I will get some. And I will be off for only 1.5months.

I do shiftwork so I get lots of days off and vacation but we are building a house which will be completed next summer and have a big family event at the end of the year so I dont want to use my own vacation.
Sep 19, 2013
952 posts
271 upvotes
Winnipeg
basically as others said, its 35 weeks combined. so if you use 6 weeks, then your wife's maternity reduces to by that amount. both can claim EI. Service Canada is very poor when it comes to paternity EI. Apply as soon as possible and even with that, you may need to visit the office and follow up if it does not come. Eventually, they pay. Also, as you may be aware already there is a cap on the EI. I think its $500/week or something, before tax. Service Canada pays after tax, which you can adjust during tax time.

In short, dont rely on EI money to pay for your expenses right away as it may be delayed. Keep emergency fund.
May 8, 2009
1777 posts
477 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
amitdi wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:16 pm
basically as others said, its 35 weeks combined. so if you use 6 weeks, then your wife's maternity reduces to by that amount. both can claim EI. Service Canada is very poor when it comes to paternity EI. Apply as soon as possible and even with that, you may need to visit the office and follow up if it does not come. Eventually, they pay. Also, as you may be aware already there is a cap on the EI. I think its $500/week or something, before tax. Service Canada pays after tax, which you can adjust during tax time.

In short, dont rely on EI money to pay for your expenses right away as it may be delayed. Keep emergency fund.
Agreed. And the emergency fund comes in handy to offset the waiting period.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming