Mattamy The Preserve

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2017 1:13 pm
Tags:
Oct 5, 2015
59 posts
38 upvotes

Mattamy The Preserve

Went to a few recent releases and no longer long queue there, pricing is ridiculous at 700++ for townhome out of no where. They still have units unsold and dare to increase price this weekends too. What do you guys think?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
Isn't this in North Oakville?

10 years ago, townhomes along Third Line were $250k or so.

Could have, would have, should have for me.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
From awhile back and full of bickering...but gives you an idea

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/getting ... e-1965289/

If you think the price is ridiculous and the majority of buyers feel that then prices will have to come down. So far builders have been very reluctant to reduce. Maybe there's still enough buyers at those prices. If you don't like the prices for new you can always go resale where the values aren't at the march April peak like builder prices are.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2759 posts
131 upvotes
Stay away from Mattamy. They build on 24" center on center joists which give the floors a bounce.
Banned
Aug 28, 2017
301 posts
366 upvotes
If you dont buy that $700k townhouse now, have fun paying $900k for it in a few years.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2015
1968 posts
927 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
10 years ago, I bought one for $193k. Of course, very risky because everyone was yelling at me that those prices were ridiculous and the bubble was about to burst anytime.

I purchased in Upper Glen Abbey, Mattamy Homes.
alanbrenton wrote: Isn't this in North Oakville?

10 years ago, townhomes along Third Line were $250k or so.

Could have, would have, should have for me.
Life can be good
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
marcopolo85 wrote: Stay away from Mattamy. They build on 24" center on center joists which give the floors a bounce.
Pretty much every tract builder builds that way now. But there are SO many other reasons to avoid Mattamy.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4531 posts
4060 upvotes
Rocko24 wrote: If you dont buy that $700k townhouse now, have fun paying $900k for it in a few years.
10% appreciation per year means well over 900k in 3 years.

This is worse performance than many blue chip stocks.

Why so many downvotes?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2759 posts
131 upvotes
schade wrote: Pretty much every tract builder builds that way now. But there are SO many other reasons to avoid Mattamy.
Really? I've been in several builder home in Milton /Oakville like Starlane, greenpark, fernbrook recently and they were all being built on 16" center to center using i-beam and 12" in the kitchen. I have no idea how mattamy can think 24" is sufficient, there is way too much floor deflection.

This is my biggest problem with the builder, they have essentially compromised the floor structure to save a few bucks on joists.
Aug 5, 2012
699 posts
561 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
marcopolo85 wrote: Really? I've been in several builder home in Milton /Oakville like Starlane, greenpark, fernbrook recently and they were all being built on 16" center to center using i-beam and 12" in the kitchen. I have no idea how mattamy can think 24" is sufficient, there is way too much floor deflection.

This is my biggest problem with the builder, they have essentially compromised the floor structure to save a few bucks on joists.
Thanks for the insightful comment, do you mind sharing your thought on how to look for center to center beams or joists. What are good and acceptable parameters. Iam a novice with home inspection and in the market looking to buy a dwelling to move in.
"You have more chances of getting hit by a lightning or getting eaten by a shark than actually winning a lottery"
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2759 posts
131 upvotes
vik56in wrote: Thanks for the insightful comment, do you mind sharing your thought on how to look for center to center beams or joists. What are good and acceptable parameters. Iam a novice with home inspection and in the market looking to buy a dwelling to move in.
Google will do a much better job at explaining floor structures then I can. Search up floor joists and get a better understanding of how they work. Bring a tape measure when you go to view the house and when you are in the basement, if the ceiling is exposed just take a quick measurement between joists. Dont bother with the home if its built with 24" center to center joists - I wouldnt.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1380 posts
549 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I always ask this in every thread I see regarding new builds, but why are you stuck on buying a new build? The prices are high because this is one of the last releases and you're getting in too late. There are many townhomes in the high $600's south of Dundas that are already established and renovated in mature neighbourhoods.

The Preserve looks amazing on paper and in their wonderfully designed brochures, but have you driven by recently? The actual product does not look anything like the utopian dream they're selling you. It's still a mess in that area.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Yeah I would just buy re-sale honestly, especially if the townhouse has been upgraded/nicely done.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
marcopolo85 wrote: Google will do a much better job at explaining floor structures then I can. Search up floor joists and get a better understanding of how they work. Bring a tape measure when you go to view the house and when you are in the basement, if the ceiling is exposed just take a quick measurement between joists. Dont bother with the home if its built with 24" center to center joists - I wouldnt.
There's a whole lot more to it than just the joists beings spaced at 24". It depends on the size if the joist (depth) and the span of the joist. Also the subfloor makes a big difference, if it's anything less than 7/8" OSB/Plywood then you could have some bounce.
Simply saying to avoid any house built with 24"oc floor joists is just bad information to spread
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
2759 posts
131 upvotes
schade wrote: There's a whole lot more to it than just the joists beings spaced at 24". It depends on the size if the joist (depth) and the span of the joist. Also the subfloor makes a big difference, if it's anything less than 7/8" OSB/Plywood then you could have some bounce.
Simply saying to avoid any house built with 24"oc floor joists is just bad information to spread
My current house is 24" using 7/8"OSB and the amount of bounce and vibration in the floors is horrendous. I cant even walk around without something on the table shaking or if im sitting on my couch feeling every step of someone walking by. My previous house with 16" and 12" in the kitchen was nothing like this, completely solid.

Ive looked into sistering or blocking. Decided to go with blocking and there is a definite reduction in vibrations of i'd say 80%.

I stand by my statement. Avoid 24" spaced joists.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)