• May 15th, 2018 4:22 pm
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
471 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Mattress recommendation for 5 year old? Twin

Hello All,

we are looking for a twin size mattress for our 5 year old son.

When i search for twin with Leon's, i see a range from $170 - $900

any recommendations?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7885 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
I highly recommend getting this. This will be a very strange unconvential recommendation, but its truly great, i'll explain

Thermarest Luxury Map Sleeping pad:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5045-944/ ... eeping-Pad

- it lasts forever, I've had mine for 15 yrs
- you can adjust the stiffness (more or less air)
- self inflating
- can use for camping
- kids love to move around to different rooms, sometimes parents' room, so you can bring this on the floor of your room and they can sleep there instead of on your bed
- guests can use it
- I've even used it for sleeping on a hospital room floor when my relative was sick
- I roll it up and bring it for my kid's sleep over at grandma's house, etc.

In fact, we have a few of these, both my wife and I have one each and because it hasn't changed in shape (>10 yrs now) my back doesn't hurt from bad mattresses anymore. We put this pad on top of our old mattress (on the bed)

So this pad will literally last you from his/her age to an adult
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
19452 posts
6821 upvotes
Ottawa
We went straight to a full size.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14612 posts
4958 upvotes
Costco has a twin mattress from Sealy that is $199. It's among the lowest price coiled mattress that is around. Most of the cheap ones seem to be foam. We are going to buy that for our child, we just haven't picked it up until his new room is painted (no point storing it).

You can also look towards your local auction houses, many in my city keep an inventory of mattresses as they are a product where you can get them very cheap for buying in large quantities. This is how come you see so many on Kijiji - it's from people who buy a bunch of mattresses from the local manufacturer (or a wholesaler) and just sell them off individually.
Dec 15, 2015
299 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
paf wrote:
May 9th, 2018 10:56 am
Hello All,

we are looking for a twin size mattress for our 5 year old son.

When i search for twin with Leon's, i see a range from $170 - $900

any recommendations?
sleepfactory, nationalmatress, queens way matress all should have cheap mattresses. Ikea?
Apr 10, 2011
373 posts
166 upvotes
My son and I sleep on the Ikea Meistervik foam mattress (x2 on our pulled-out Hemnes daybed) which is an okay option for $149 each. Bought the waterproof mattress protectors for $20 each.
Aug 16, 2009
780 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Keep an eye out for Best Buy. I bought a twin from there a month ago for around $110. My 5 year old initially didn't like it cause it was hard but I told her it'll soften up overtime. It's been a few days and I haven't heard any complaint from her so I'm guessing she got used to it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)