Parenting & Family

Mattress recommendation for kids under 10?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2017 4:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
4156 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto

Mattress recommendation for kids under 10?

Twin or single size... spring or memory foam? Looking at getting a bunk bed from Ikea, are there mattress decent?
5 replies
Mar 9, 2012
845 posts
266 upvotes
KITCHENER
greg123 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 11:16 am
Twin or single size... spring or memory foam? Looking at getting a bunk bed from Ikea, are there mattress decent?
Bed wetting issues or not? If bed wetting occurs, a cheap foam mattress from JYSK is good enough. Otherwise, pony up the cash on a decent spring mattress.

Twin and single are the same size. If you meant twin (single) or double (aka, full size), depends on how big you figure your kid will get and that timeline to get there. Most girls are fine in a single until they get married....some boys will probably be better off in a double once they hit 15 or so.

Super singles (Twin XL) are okay for taller kids, but be aware how hard it is to get a proper size frame and sheet sets. (they're about 6" longer than regular singles)

Little trivia fact: Twins were called this because mattress companies would sell two singles to married couples. The mattresses were therefore "twins" of each other. You put two singles (or twins) together side by side, you get a mattress that is slightly wider than a king size mattress but a little shorter (unless it's 2 twin xl's)....
Nov 13, 2013
714 posts
245 upvotes
OTTAWA
Mattress cover works fine. I guess if it is super regular you want to have a plastic cover with something more comfortable on top.
Foam mattress is fine but don't buy the thinnest IKEA ones. Kids won't notice but when you need to sleep with a sick or scared kid you will regret cheaping out.
Apr 14, 2015
476 posts
109 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
A foam mattress from Ikea is fine but a waterproof cover is a must. And buy an extra one or two covers if it’s the kind that has to be washed, you don’t want to be waiting for the dryer in the middle of the night. The vinyl ones are annoying and will eventually rip, but you can wipe them down easily while changing the sheets, so they are good for younger kids.
Remember IKEA has mattress sales once or twice a year, I think 30% off, so it’s worth waiting if you can.
Dec 22, 2016
19 posts
2 upvotes
Operatime wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 4:12 pm
A foam mattress from Ikea is fine but a waterproof cover is a must. And buy an extra one or two covers if it’s the kind that has to be washed, you don’t want to be waiting for the dryer in the middle of the night. The vinyl ones are annoying and will eventually rip, but you can wipe them down easily while changing the sheets, so they are good for younger kids.
Remember IKEA has mattress sales once or twice a year, I think 30% off, so it’s worth waiting if you can.
+1 to the suggestion of buying multiple covers. Whenever my little one got sick, he would throw up a couple of times a night and sometimes I had to change the covers twice.