• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2018 11:24 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
199 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto

Mattress recommendations

Can someone recommend me a good mattress? In last 2 years, i have already changed 2 mattresses and each mattress ends up giving me back pain. I am unable to sleep properly, my back muscles are hurting so much and the kind of pain i have, i feel like i should keep stretching my muscles.

I did quiet some research and bought Endy's mattress but even after using it for 2 months, I still have same issue. So can someone recommend a good mattress?

Thanks
8 replies
Aug 8, 2018
30 posts
8 upvotes
Hey, here's hoping I can help a bit. I have a latex mattress from Ikea, and it's been seriously great for my back pain. It's has extra firm support and doesn't sag/lean to one side (my fiance weighs much more than me and the bed doesn't bounce/lean/sag on my end when he gets in/out. It also doesn't sag and we find it fairly cool. We paid about $1000 for the "natural latex" version but there's a regular one for way cheaper I believe and it's likely pretty much exactly the same. I'm usually a side/stomach sleeper and my husband is a side/back sleeper and we both find it comfortable, in fact it's the best mattress I've had (always had springs in the past). We have it on an Ikea bed using the slat system and would never go back to another type of mattress. When I stay somewhere else and sleep in a plushy spring mattress bed, I wake up sooooo sore!
[OP]
Apr 20, 2011
199 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks @bucky91 ... have you ever used a memory foam mattress before? If yes, then how was your experience different than latex mattress?
Aug 8, 2018
30 posts
8 upvotes
No, I haven't...sorry! I think you could probably find some comparisons by Googling, though. Good luck!
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1665 upvotes
Have you tried swimming to strengthen your back or some form of very light weight training? No mattress will help heal your back if you suffer some form of an issue. Stress plays a huge role in upper neck/back issues. Correct and firm pillow can also remove the incorrect body posture to alleviate lower back issues.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6011 posts
436 upvotes
BC
I used to think my sore back was from age... but it was my mattress!! Bought a memory foam topper from Costco a few years back, my back pain went away and the topper is so comfortable I have a good sleep every night.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1340 posts
209 upvotes
If you are a Costco member you may want to try this hybrid mattress - if it does not work, they will take back. It is firm, but not too too firm, that’s what helps the back pain in some cases.

Also, you may want to consult osteopath or chiropractor, as they could recommend a pillow/ mattress firmness that would fit you the best.
Sep 25, 2017
35 posts
13 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Check out

https://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... forum.html

I was looking for a mattress for a decent amount of time and stumbled across these guys. It initially took me a while to make a decision because I needed something to help with my joints since I play different sports and lift weights (no bodybuilder, general strength conditioning).

I was always prepared to invest in a mattress, considering a sleep affects so much of your life (to assist the body in rest and recover every night, general day to day well being).

After reading around for a good few weeks, especially in regards to materials used, possible off-gassing from synthetic materials used, life span of mattress etc, I ended up with a mattress from The Mattress and Sleep Country (Im in Alberta). I dont remember the specifics (was purchased 2 years ago) but it was natural i.e. cotton and wool with minimal synthetic materials (just glue rather than including foams, polyester etc) and had a ton lot of coils. Ended spending near 5k on the king mattress alone and let me tell you one thing, it was an absolutely needed investment and I've slept like a log every night, feeling real good (aside from the few odd hangovers ;)).

Good luck with the search.