Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1955 posts
2985 upvotes
Ottawa

Mattress Shopping. Help!

So I've never bought a new mattress before. My current mattress is ancient and essentially falling apart so figure it's time to pony up for a new mattress.

I have no idea where to start but came across this model from Sears that seems to be heavily discounted which I know may not mean much since mattress prices are so marked up:

http://www.sears.ca/product/sealy-coral ... 7837-94137

Any advice when buying a new mattress? Good places to buy from?
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
My suggestion is to lie on the mattresses you intend to buy first before even looking at the price.

Also, are you planning to buy a boxspring and frame as well?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
I think the big decision that you have to figure out is foam or spring. Inner spring mattresses are the most common, and the most traditional. Foam is a newer technology, and like inner spring, there are good and bad ones. Additionally, depending on how you sleep, foam may not be for you.

Here is a great link to help you out:
http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

My advice is to try and figure out which mattress type you want then try out a bunch of them because you will notice differences - my personal preference is inner-spring with a foam topper (built in). Take advantage of Sleep Country's price matching system (beat price by 5%). The mattress does not need to be identical, just comparable (you will find out that stores all have unique models). Find the mattress you like and either wait for it to come on sale elsewhere or go to Sleep Country and negotiate. There is an extremely high markup on mattresses.
Jun 22, 2012
124 posts
9 upvotes
VANCOUVER
TrevorK wrote: I think the big decision that you have to figure out is foam or spring. Inner spring mattresses are the most common, and the most traditional. Foam is a newer technology, and like inner spring, there are good and bad ones. Additionally, depending on how you sleep, foam may not be for you.

Here is a great link to help you out:
http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

My advice is to try and figure out which mattress type you want then try out a bunch of them because you will notice differences - my personal preference is inner-spring with a foam topper (built in). Take advantage of Sleep Country's price matching system (beat price by 5%). The mattress does not need to be identical, just comparable (you will find out that stores all have unique models). Find the mattress you like and either wait for it to come on sale elsewhere or go to Sleep Country and negotiate. There is an extremely high markup on mattresses.
Thanked! Thanks for posting the link to the sleeping dead guy, that has a lot of info and I was about to post a thread identical to the OP until I stumbled upon it, so thanks for that info. That Bed in a Box place seems to have great reviews…
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1955 posts
2985 upvotes
Ottawa
SteveBennett wrote: Thanked! Thanks for posting the link to the sleeping dead guy, that has a lot of info and I was about to post a thread identical to the OP until I stumbled upon it, so thanks for that info. That Bed in a Box place seems to have great reviews…
Agreed. Thanks TrevorK. Great resource!

I'm mostly a side sleeper so looks like mattresses on the softer side are my best bet. Anyone recommend a good soft (to medium) mattress?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
mikek33 wrote: Agreed. Thanks TrevorK. Great resource!

I'm mostly a side sleeper so looks like mattresses on the softer side are my best bet. Anyone recommend a good soft (to medium) mattress?
As a side sleeper I think you want to stay away from foam (according to the reviews), and my personal experience agrees. I have one of the novaform's foam mattresses from Costco and as a side sleeper I get a much worse sleep than on my inner spring mattress.

It sounds common sense, but the best way to figure out what works for you is to at least try some out in the store. For us, it helped us to decide whether we wanted a tight top, euro top, etc. This really helps to narrow down the mattress you are looking for. Unless you have a smaller budget this may be the way to go because for $1000 you should be able to get a nice pocket coil mattress and box spring (and most likely a lot less).
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
3279 posts
1272 upvotes
Montreal
In the market for a matress myself. Gonna have to read up!!
| Intel I7 9700K | Asus Z390-E Gaming | Kingston HX426C13PB3k2/32 @ 2666mhz | Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super | 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe | Seasonic 750PX | Define R6 USB-C | H115I Pro | Klipsch R-41PM | Dell U3818DW | Logitech Craft | Logitech MX Master 3S |
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1955 posts
2985 upvotes
Ottawa
My budget is like $400. I suppose I'll have to be patient for a good sale to snag one for that cheap? Most online retailers seem to have double mattresses that start at like $500...
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2008
1122 posts
113 upvotes
Problem with buying a mattress is you can't price shop/compare. The same mattress at a different store will have different model names/numbers. So frustrating.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1310 posts
718 upvotes
Montreal QC
Isn't Costco one of the best places to get a mattress, considering their amazing return policy?
Nov 24, 2005
100 posts
14 upvotes
GTA
MontrealBonjour wrote: Isn't Costco one of the best places to get a mattress, considering their amazing return policy?
I ask the question in another thread, but I guess I'll just jump on this one instead. I have got from Costco a Tempurpedic King size mattress for $2300+tax. Can anyone comment if it is considered a good deal? It is not as perfectly comfortable as we hoped, but I'm not sure if a spring coil one will be better. (We have been using regular foam mattress only before this).

How much does a good King size spring coil mattress would cost these days when it's on sale?

Btw, when I purchased the mattress, I was told that there's a 30-day return policy for the mattress.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1955 posts
2985 upvotes
Ottawa
I may got check out the Bay this weekend. They're having their "Bays Days" sale with mattresses up to 70% off. Huge markup so they are still expensive but maybe I can haggle even more. We'll see.
Banned
Feb 13, 2015
1059 posts
243 upvotes
Oakville, ON
mikek33 wrote: So I've never bought a new mattress before. My current mattress is ancient and essentially falling apart so figure it's time to pony up for a new mattress.

I have no idea where to start but came across this model from Sears that seems to be heavily discounted which I know may not mean much since mattress prices are so marked up:

http://www.sears.ca/product/sealy-coral ... 7837-94137

Any advice when buying a new mattress? Good places to buy from?
Go to JYSK, absolutely great prices for Serta mattresses
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1955 posts
2985 upvotes
Ottawa
th12mq wrote: Go to JYSK, absolutely great prices for Serta mattresses
I assume these are entry level mattresses? I hate how every store sells similar mattresses under different model names. Makes it very difficult to compare and check reviews.

Anyone have a Serta mattress from JYSK? I'm thinking the "Corrinna" model may be a good fit for me as a side sleeper...
Jan 9, 2012
485 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
I am also in the same boat, looking for a new mattress. I had not known that sleepcountry does price matching, so surely that's a good place to start? The small bit of research ive done makes it seem like the marketplace is fragmented with different brands and sub brands at different retailers. Quite frustrating really.

I also plan on buying all new sheets, pillows and probably a duvet. Any one have a good resource for those items? How often do bedding linens go on sale? Any help would be great.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
In my opinion, mattresses are such a rip off. The mattress companies know no one wants a used mattress, so they charge accordingly. However, people who sleep in hotels don't have a problem with used mattresses, hmmm.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1955 posts
2985 upvotes
Ottawa
So I went into Sleep Country tonight to try out a few mattresses.

My final choices are:
1. Sealy Posturepedic "Parker" (foam mattress)
2. Kingsdown Passions "Bardot" (pocket coil)

Anyone know if there are similar models at other retailers? It's so frustrating since they have different names at all retailers so it's so tough to make direct comparisons for price matching. I have no idea if the quotes the sales guy gave me are rock bottom pricing...