Travel

Maui for 7 days, how to make the most of it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2017 6:58 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2017
92 posts
32 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

Maui for 7 days, how to make the most of it?

Pieced together a vacation, first one in 9 years, and going with 2 others (family) for $1000CAD/person (condo, unlimited miles rental car, flight, return flight). Plus have $800CAD (or 600USD after the painful conversion) for whatever else.

I've spent time exploring the island on Google Maps to get a good idea of the lay of the land. Saved/starred a lot of locations and landmarks to check out.

Will be packing lightly but sufficiently to avoid buying things (necessities) while there.

Rented condo is by S Kihei Rd close to a beach, and will be cooking most meals. We expect to hit a lot of fish/farmer/fruit markets. I'll hit McD, Jack in the Box, and whatever other cheap restaurants along the way if I must eat out - and I'll use these as filler so I don't spend so much on trying out the local specialties.

Free gym access with Goodlife membership at the 24hr Fitness location on the island - big deal to me. Gyms and beaches.

This is just a rough sketch so far, and I'm just a few days out from going. Taking in a lot of sights. Walks and drives to wherever of interest. Hitting a lot of beaches. Ho'okipa, Kapalua, Charley Young (5 min walk from condo), Makena, Ka'anapali, Wailea, Maluawaka, Oneuli, etc. but for some reason I don't see myself exploring the Hana side of the island, but hear that's where a lot of the "breathtaking" sights are. I've heard how you can't take rental cars on a lot of the roads around there. Think I might just avoid that whole eastern half/side of the island as I only have 5 full days total and don't want to spend an entire day driving. Maybe some other time. I know I'll be back, especially since I have relatives living there who know how to live off the land for cheap with fish, fruit, etc. which is how I'll save a lot of money while still having a "genuine" experience.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2879 posts
609 upvotes
Sounds like you have got it figured out well. You will save a lot of money if you avoid eating out. We pack some dry food like rice, pasta, coffee, etc. to save money as the groceries there are SUPER expensive. We enjoyed more of the natural sites like Haleakala crater, the Blowhole, and the road to Hana more than the touristy parts. But always lots to see and do. There are a few threads on RFD with more ideas if you need them.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8237 posts
1280 upvotes
I found the groceries reasonably priced compared to Alberta, most items were the same or cheaper (not counting the USD conversion)

fresh fish was very expensive.

do the north drive around kannapali, it takes a while but its crazy in some spots, don't do if you are a nervous driver or scared of tight roads. the duke restertaunt at kannapali is awesome, so was the cool cat café near the big banyon tree in....(cant remember the town).
Jan 17, 2017
52 posts
29 upvotes
Road to Hana is a long day but worth it. Checking Haleakala crater and doing sliding sands trail is worth it too.

If you going in winter, there's whale watching too.

Rental car is only limited one side of hana.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5957 posts
858 upvotes
Mississauga
Make sure you don't get the Spam breakfast combo at Mcds. It's just Spam and white rice, and they charge a fortune for it Grinning Face.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Jul 29, 2007
402 posts
103 upvotes
North America
My wife and kids went for the first time to Hawaii last year, it was my third time (first to Maui, third to Honolulu/Waikiki).
We stayed 4 days on each island, the only advice I have is to "buy" your things at Costco or Walmart (food, etc).
It was so expensive going out to eat, we stayed at Sheraton Waikiki for 4 days, Sheraton Maui for 2, and Westin Maui for 2.

I have not spent that much money on 8 days on any trip... but well, it's a splurge that was well worth it...
We rented a vehicle using our Costco membership, that's so much cheaper than any travel site.
My kids are young, so we were mainly at the hotel and beaches, we didn't want to leave on the final day.
Best RFD Purchases: Flight Deals, Cell/Laptops/Tablets, Clothing/Shoes.
Thanks to RFD for helping me with spending money, I feel so poor now!
Penalty Box
Nov 1, 2001
1427 posts
52 upvotes
There are a lot of coupon books out there that make meals pretty affordable.
Some great sushi spots and if you go early or late it's half price.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4643 posts
305 upvotes
Victoria
If you want a good cheap meal out as a treat checkout monkeypod happy hour 3-5:30 or 9-11. I've always gone for the 9-11 one and usually get there around 8:45 because it gets busy. Whale watching is fairly inexpensive there too and worthwhile depending on what time of year you're going.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
3746 posts
501 upvotes
Regina
we are going in March, looking forward to it, hope some cheap flights at that time