Expired Hot Deals

[Maven] Toronto / Kitchener - Waterloo - 20% First Reservation (Car Sharing) - Free Lifetime Membership

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2018 7:00 am
Apr 10, 2017
373 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
Are these all GM demo cars or privately owned? how is the availability across the city? One thing I hated about Turo is you have to take pictures everytime you are done so the owner of the car doesnt ding you for cleaning expenses or cigarette smoke or whatever. I still tend to prefer enterprise with their full coverage. hopefully someone posts a full review.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14947 posts
1904 upvotes
Toronto
baijuxp wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 12:30 am
Are these all GM demo cars or privately owned? how is the availability across the city? One thing I hated about Turo is you have to take pictures everytime you are done so the owner of the car doesnt ding you for cleaning expenses or cigarette smoke or whatever. I still tend to prefer enterprise with their full coverage. hopefully someone posts a full review.
The Turo coverage is scary. I've used them several times but after going through what the driver is actually responsible for, it's a little much. Basically, the policy is written protecting (and believing) the owner, who can claim road damage and dents and have the driver on the hook for them - even a flat tire is coming out of your pocket!
I had a scare (dent I couldn't remember was there or not) and ever since then I haven't touched them ever since.

Check out the site for availability, it's not great right now, but that's expected with a new company.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11338 posts
1760 upvotes
RFD
coriolis wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 9:42 pm
They appear to be mostly mid to high level trim, leather seats, sunroofs.
I loved the GMC Terrain they had at their Auto Show booth set up. Would try Maven just to test that vehicle
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1942 posts
120 upvotes
Kitchener
I talked with them at the auto show as well. I was impressed with what the girl had to say. Insurance and gas was included. I believe she said there was a daily cap of $100 (low end car was $100 I think). If you took the car on a long drive the gas coverage almost makes it a no brainer.
Sum_guy wrote:
Mar 13th, 2013 10:26 pm
but my nipples hurt for the rest of the weekend when we go.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18944 posts
4053 upvotes
Thornhill
radeonboy wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 1:03 am
I loved the GMC Terrain they had at their Auto Show booth set up. Would try Maven just to test that vehicle
Yeah! The one with the rack right? I asked about it and their current fleet does not have a Terrain, but as this is their initial launch, they will add more vehicles depending on popularity and requests. They have 40 vehicles right now, which is nothing compared to the hundreds that AutoShare/ZipCar/Car2Go has, so I'd imagine they would bring more before the end of the year. Maybe a Terrain Denali eh :)

I referred a few family members, most of which signed up without a problem but there were a few hiccups, my sister's account took over 4 days to approve and my cousin was also denied last night. But apparently Maven's customer support is connected to GM's OnStar system so hopefully that means customer service knows what they are doing unlike most CS reps, assuming they don't outsource it.

But considering this is a new service thats less then a month old, there will be growing pains.

Also to note, they have a daily limit for mileage, I think it was 280 km per day, and currently cross border trips aren't allowed yet. These would be great road trip vehicles if they would bump up the mileage for long weekends, etc. However, trips around the GTA, with included gas and insurance, and WiFi makes it a good option.
Oct 19, 2003
110 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
DaVibe wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 9:33 pm
If that's the case, then I stand corrected. As I was saying, I've been with all the car sharing companies and multiple credit cards and time and time again, the terms have said no. With Turo, it's a strong no, because they aren't even a rental agency in any sense.
If you have a card that says yes, all the better - I'm surprised.

Edit: RENTAL AGENCY means an auto Rental Agency licensed to rent vehicles and which provides a rental agreement. For
greater certainty, throughout this certificate of insurance the terms ‘rental company’ and ‘rental agency’ refer to both
traditional auto rental agencies and Car Sharing Programs.

Yup, still surprised! Well, that's good news at least.
No problem - obviously YMMV depending on your card and maybe even the agent/claims adjuster (had an experience where CC insurer initially denied my extended warranty claim, I appealed and they reversed decision - assume initial agent/adjuster just didn't know what they were doing/talking about).

FYI - I just checked my new Home Trust Preferred Visa (that's been discussed on the RFD due to the no FX fee) -- appears that card also covers 'car sharing' programs (no link, they only packaged the car rental coverage terms in the mail). It specifically defines "car sharing" and mentions that you're covered as long as you charge the full cost of the rental to the card "and the Car Sharing Program's Collision/Loss Damage Insurance is declined." That said, the information is confusing - the packaged brochure provides a dead link and the packaged terms keeps referring to another Home Trust (EquityLine) Visa. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, no one ever has to make a claim - but definitely worth a shot if the worst happens.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14947 posts
1904 upvotes
Toronto
Hello,

We apologize for the denial you received.

To continue through the registration process please complete the Driver’s License Abstract Request form for your province (BC/Quebec). If you are in any province (excluding Ontario/Alberta) please complete the Canada General Release Form. Forward the completed forms to: dlcheck@maven.com.

Please copy the following URL into a web browser and complete the appropriate province release form:

https://www.maven.com/content/dam/maven ... ctions.pdf

Kind Regards,

Maven Member Services

Umm ... but I live in Ontario
RedFlagDeals addict
Nov 26, 2007
230 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone having issues entering these codes? Keep getting an error.
Jan 16, 2013
68 posts
45 upvotes
Etobicoke
They did a more thorough check than my employer did on me. After one two hour rental I got denied. What’s up with Maven?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14947 posts
1904 upvotes
Toronto
rpage93 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 4:16 pm
They did a more thorough check than my employer did on me. After one two hour rental I got denied. What’s up with Maven?
Did the check include a Driver's Abstract?
I'm wondering if they are asking this of all drivers in Ontario at the moment, but aren't advertising that, I don't know.

What do you mean by denied, you can no longer rent?
RedFlagDeals addict
Jan 16, 2013
68 posts
45 upvotes
Etobicoke
They told me unless I provide an abstract they won’t rent to me. Sucks because I have an escalade, 5 series almost all the time, this weekend a Stelvio.

Don’t know why they are being so extra.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
4719 posts
855 upvotes
any scarborough locations? i might sign up incase i need a car badly for backup!
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14947 posts
1904 upvotes
Toronto
mikka2017 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 6:53 am
any scarborough locations? i might sign up incase i need a car badly for backup!
No, just Laird if you check out the map.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
4719 posts
855 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 6:57 am
No, just Laird if you check out the map.
whats the exact addres at laird so i can google maps it? seems like most are downtown , which is way too far for me...im in east end scarb
*SIG: OptiPlex™ 790 i5-2400 @3.1ghz 12gb DDR3 ram win10pro w/radeon rx460 rogers 500u @$24.99 using D-Link DIR-890L AC3200