• Jan 22nd, 2010 7:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 15, 2009
671 posts
8 upvotes

Max KM on a "new" (non-demo) car from dealer

When buying my new car, what is the maximum number of KM that should be on the odometer at the time of delivery?

I want to make sure

a) i'm not buying a demo

and

b) the dealership didn't let others use my newly delivered vehicle as a demo prior to my getting it

Also - can I get a guarantee from the dealer that it won't have more than XX KM? If so, how do I get this done? (something in writing stating I won't buy the car if it exceeds the agreed upon max KM?)

Thanks!
23 replies
Dec 12, 2008
33 posts
Richmond Hill
Back in 2004 when I placed an order for a G35. It had 6km on it when it was delivered to the dealership and it was shipped straight from factory.

Last September, I bought a 335xi that was on the lot from a dealership in Calgary which had to be transported to Toronto. It had ~15km on it when it was delivered to the Toronto dealership.

There was a part on the purchase agreement that specifically stated the odometer would be <30km. This was even before they could provide me with a VIN number. So yes, you can definately have the delear garauntee you that it will have < X kms when you take delivery.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2009
3510 posts
292 upvotes
Caledon
I've delivered new cars with as little as 10 kms and as much as 300 kms. Make sure you record the kms on it when you buy it. You have nothing to worry about is it's a factory order.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2009
671 posts
8 upvotes
thanks to both of you.

So if I buy off the lot - 300 km should be the max before it is considered a demo? (and I adjust my offer accordingly of course) <--- advice on demo pricing is appreciated too! :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7765 posts
158 upvotes
When I bought my escape it had 4 kms on it when I test drove it, it had 2 km.
Jan 8, 2009
905 posts
126 upvotes
Brampton
When I bought my Aveo, it had 250kms on it but it was brand new as I saw all the factory coverings on the glass and seats before I signed the papers and now my Honda Civic had 25 kms on it. I made it clear before buying Honda about the low mileage (less than 20kms) and they put it on the agreement but they had to get the car from another dealership so it had 25 kms and they even showed me the docs to prove that it had been brought from another dealership because of the colour I wanted.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1983 posts
173 upvotes
Ancaster
riffr aff wrote:
Jan 21st, 2010 10:30 am
thanks to both of you.

So if I buy off the lot - 300 km should be the max before it is considered a demo? (and I adjust my offer accordingly of course) <--- advice on demo pricing is appreciated too! :)

Every dealer seems to have a different idea of what constitutes a demo.

I've looked at cars recently that had as much as 6500kms on them but were being sold as new with no break on freight/PDI charges so I stayed away from them.

At other dealers I saw cars with as little as 30kms on them and the dealers were selling them as demos with no frieght/PDI.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
151 upvotes
Murica
riffr aff wrote:
Jan 21st, 2010 10:09 am
When buying my new car, what is the maximum number of KM that should be on the odometer at the time of delivery?

I want to make sure

a) i'm not buying a demo

and

b) the dealership didn't let others use my newly delivered vehicle as a demo prior to my getting it

Also - can I get a guarantee from the dealer that it won't have more than XX KM? If so, how do I get this done? (something in writing stating I won't buy the car if it exceeds the agreed upon max KM?)

Thanks!
on a brand new car, I'd say less than 70 km is reasonable.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20272 posts
1680 upvotes
Been a few threads about this over the years...

Generally speaking 20km max on a new car, though you'll like to see it below 10, optimally. Cars must be driven in pre-dealer logistics and also often as part of the PDI, so you are bound to see at least a few kms on the clock.

There's also an allowance for up to ~80km for an audit vehicle (a vehicle used for QC by the manufacturer, driven by a proper auditor), but these vehicles will have a sticker or document(s) from the manufacturer specifying it was an audit vehicle and that is why you have kms on the clock already. Audit vehicles are acceptable as new and the manufacturer intends them to be sold as such.

Any vehicles that are non-audit vehicles should never have more than 20km on them and be sold as new. Audit vehicles should never have any more kms on it than the manufacturer has specified on the audit-designation documentation (usually says something like "your vehicle has been selected for quality control testing, please note that it may have some mileage on it but no more than 80km" or something to that effect).

Unless the milage is authorised by you before you buy the car. E.g. if they tell you they are driving it 40km from another dealer and you say "okay that's alright". Otherwise do not let them sell you the vehicle as "new". Either ask for a different vehicle or as for a discount/compensation. If you see them trying to sell you a car with like 220km on the clock, that car is a demo not a new car. Negotiate your deal as if it's a demo (no frt, no pdi, and an appropriate discount for it being a demo). If they refuse and insist it is "new" with no legitimate explanation? Walk out.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
6962 posts
422 upvotes
Burlington
Keep in mind, in regards to insurance on Brand New cars...in order to qualify for the waiver of depreciation endorsement, most insurance companies will only give this endorsement if the vehicle is new, not a demo, you are the original owner, and has under 5000 klms on it. Check with your company for their requirements prior to your purchase.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER(ontario) -OVER 30 YRS OF EXPERIENCE
YOUR BEST INSURANCE IS AN INSURANCE BROKER
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
My BMW had 250KMs on it. Sometimes they do dealer to dealer transfers, so < 300 is fine with me.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15413 posts
799 upvotes
Woodbridge
If you are that paranoid, make sure it's in the contract that you do not want the KM to go over 5, 10, 50, etc.

If you are still not satisfied, you can refuse delivery.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Sep 10, 2009
86 posts
Toronto
Don't get a "guarantee."
Put it in the contract "vehicle will have less than X km at delivery."
Sleep well.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2521 posts
85 upvotes
Marcus Halberstam wrote:
Jan 21st, 2010 3:47 pm
Don't get a "guarantee."
Put it in the contract "vehicle will have less than X km at delivery."
Sleep well.
+ 1
make sure you put that on your offer

i've heard horrible story with cars deliver with 1000 KM !
× < >