PC & Video Games

Max Payne 3: still the best TPS gunplay?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 12:45 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes

Max Payne 3: still the best TPS gunplay?

dark story with semi-cringe monologues, superbly polished game mechanics, great setting, good soundtrack, scales to hardware like a dream on PC

any recommendations similar to this?

i haven't played MP1, but MP2 has also aged extremely well ( made 16 years ago!)

already tried spec ops (alright, had fun but not worth replaying), I found more similarities in Sleeping Dogs and Splinter Cell Conviction, Wanted weapons of fate was interesting but too wacky for me haha

some oldies it looks like i should try: total overdose, true crime series (predecessors to Sleeping Dogs) , dead to rights, stranglehold

minimum platforming elements please (no tomb raider, uncharted etc), prefer corridor over open-world, bullet time not necessary, some stealth OK but not the entire thing
Last edited by twitchyzero on Jan 8th, 2019 2:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6359 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
Max Payne 3 was ahead of its time and didn't get the recognition it deserved because most people played on last gen consoles which didn't do it justice at all. It was one of the last games I played on X360, first I played on my new PC and the difference in visual quality and responsiveness of gameplay was ridiculous. It's the one game that deserved a console remaster but never got one.

If you liked Conviction you should check out Blacklist which is a far better game and one of the best Ubisoft has ever made imo. Blacklist is another game that came towards the end of the 360/PS3 generation, played poorly on those consoles and didn't get the recognition it deserved.
Last edited by ReeGee on Jan 7th, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1281 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
Max Payne 3 is indeed a great game that still holds up well today.

Alan Wake and Dead Space 1-3 are also good third person shooters but they're more survival horrors.

Gears of War series are pretty good too.

And then of course there are the Open World games like GTA and Red Dead Redemption 2.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 Case: CM Storm Trooper SSD: 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
oops, I meant Blacklist, not Conviction. what a fun game...as was Hitman Absolution

i think what really did it for me for Max Payne 3 was also the timing: then was when my Nvidia Surround triple display setup was fresh, so it was immersive and it ran great...it's like they put secret sauce into what at the time Rockstar's PC ports were notoriously poorly coded (GTA IV required massive CPU headroom) and this comes out with everything so tight as if it the PC was the lead platform

good call on Alan Wake, I might've played only the first 30 minutes.

also played Gears briefly, i think it was 3, maybe 2. Wasn't my cup of tea. but that was on 360, maybe the remaster on PC could change my mind.

Dead Space 1 & 2 were great...even if I never got to finish 1.

anyone every try the Matrix Path of Neo? i remember it briefly from a lan cafe way back, it looks similar to max payne 2?

also, lol:

Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3488 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
Man, this brings back some memories.. I wasn't sure what to make of the game at the time, and I even knocked it a bit in a review I wrote for a small gaming blog, but now that I look back, I realize that it was pretty ahead of its time. Had some interesting stylistic elements but a really gritty narrative that was kinda sad to experience.

Some potential recommendations that aren't open world:

I haven't played much of Army of Two and Kane and Lynch, but would those two fall under this similar gameplay?

The Gears series will forever be my favourite 3rd person shooters. They're visceral, and the guns and movement have a nice weighty feeling to them.

There are some other futuristic ones like Binary Domain (bleh) and Vanquish (Amazing, but way faster and not really as similar).

If you're into Transformers, the two Cybertron games (War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron) were decent, but like Vanquish they play pretty differently.

The Order 1886 tries to do it in an old Victorian steampunk setting, but I found that pretty boring. Worth a try since it looks great, but there are some boring parts

If you like Alan Wake, maybe try Quantum Break, which was decent, but not as amazing as many had hoped.

Of all the RE games, 5 is probably the closest to being as action-oriented, if action/survival horror is your thing.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier was kinda neat too... It was a fun co-op game and I even played a bit of that multiplayer

That's probably all I got...
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6359 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 2:03 am
also played Gears briefly, i think it was 3, maybe 2. Wasn't my cup of tea. but that was on 360, maybe the remaster on PC could change my mind.

anyone every try the Matrix Path of Neo? i remember it briefly from a lan cafe way back, it looks similar to max payne 2?
Forget the remaster and check out Gears 4 on PC instead. Not sure if it's still going but it was $6-7 on hot deals or you can play it for dirt cheap on Game pass.
I remember that playing that Matrix game many years ago and enjoying it but not sure how it would hold up now

M1GOmigs wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 11:31 am
There are some other futuristic ones like Binary Domain (bleh) and Vanquish (Amazing, but way faster and not really as similar).

If you're into Transformers, the two Cybertron games (War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron) were decent, but like Vanquish they play pretty differently.

The Order 1886 tries to do it in an old Victorian steampunk setting, but I found that pretty boring. Worth a try since it looks great, but there are some boring parts

If you like Alan Wake, maybe try Quantum Break, which was decent, but not as amazing as many had hoped.

Of all the RE games, 5 is probably the closest to being as action-oriented, if action/survival horror is your thing.
This guy knows his TPS games. Vanquish and especially Binary Domain were definitely slept on. I got Binary Domain for free a year or two ago in a PC bundle and was blown away by how good that game is.

Only played Fall Of Cybertron and that was great too

I went into The Order 1886 with very low expectations and still hated it. Probably the worst PS4 exclusive I've played and I thought it looked awful despite people raving about the graphics at the time.

Quantum break was great for a first entry. It needed more action and gameplay but what was there was well done

I know a lot of people hated it but I enjoyed RE6. I can see why serious RE fans don't like it as it's the further thing from a survival horror game but it's a well made TPS action game if that's what OP is looking for
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
haven't tried BD but Vaniquish just seems like everything was running at 2x speed...really forcing you to use bullet time i guess

don't care for transformers at all

Order 1886 was pretty sweet for a early PS4 game, but the gunplay is nothing to write home about

just remembered, Mafia 2 was bloody awesome...3 got pretty low scores though...i think i own 1 on steam

Quantum Break is made by the guys that did MP1 & MP2, so will def check that out

RE5 mechanic was so rigid...can't aim/shoot while moving in a survivor horror, dumb. tried to play RE6, thought it was hot garbage...probably the furthest thing from Max Payne 3

i never gave just cause 2 a good run...i think it'll hold up well. The newer ones doesn't seem to interest me
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3488 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 12:49 am
haven't tried BD but Vaniquish just seems like everything was running at 2x speed...really forcing you to use bullet time i guess

don't care for transformers at all

Order 1886 was pretty sweet for a early PS4 game, but the gunplay is nothing to write home about

just remembered, Mafia 2 was bloody awesome...3 got pretty low scores though...i think i own 1 on steam

Quantum Break is made by the guys that did MP1 & MP2, so will def check that out

RE5 mechanic was so rigid...can't aim/shoot while moving in a survivor horror, dumb. tried to play RE6, thought it was hot garbage...probably the furthest thing from Max Payne 3

i never gave just cause 2 a good run...i think it'll hold up well. The newer ones doesn't seem to interest me
Yeah I tried to keep away from open world games on my list because you can put so many of those into this category if you really wanted to... I loved the original Mafia back in the day, can't remember if I played Mafia 2, but I still kinda want to get into Mafia 3. If you expand to open world games, then this list suddenly triples.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
which is fine if it's really tight shooting mechanics/cover system...and minimal platforming
Russell wrote:

Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1281 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
twitchyzero wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 2:03 am
I remember playing Matrix Path of Neo. It was the "best" of the Matrix games, but that didn't say much.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Spec Ops The Line. That was a pretty good game.
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: GTX980 2xSLI RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 Case: CM Storm Trooper SSD: 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Monitor: Dell P2715Q 27.0" UHD
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6359 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
This thread made me reinstall RE6 and finish the last couple hours of the Leon/Helena campaign co-op with some random dude who joined within 5 minutes of me starting my game. So much fun and the game looks and runs like a dream at 4K/60fps on PC. If you're looking for a good straight forward TPS action game that's nothing like the other games in the series then I highly recommend it.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1764 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
I remember playing Max Payne 3 on the PS3. I wanted to like it, but it was a frustrating experience.

Not sure if it because of aged hardware, the game's mechanics or I was just awful at the game.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3488 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:59 pm
I remember playing Max Payne 3 on the PS3. I wanted to like it, but it was a frustrating experience.

Not sure if it because of aged hardware, the game's mechanics or I was just awful at the game.
That was the same for me... I only started appreciating it after a few levels, but before that it was a bit of a grind

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6359 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:59 pm

The mechanics were more or less the ground work for the same shooting mechanics people still enjoy in GTAV and RDR2 to this day. It was also technically way ahead of its time with better visuals than the 2015 remaster of GTA V only 3 years earlier. The PC version holds its own and looks as good if not better than a lot of games released in the last couple years. You weren't awful at the game, it was just awful to play on Xbox 360 and PS3.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4119 posts
493 upvotes
RDR2 headshot slow-mo is basically straight from MP3's bullet time, minus diving like an idiotic footballer

if it played anything like the multi-plats post 2010 on the 360/PS3, then it was probably a flaming piece of turd

for some reason, on PC it didn't have most of the glitches ive experienced in other Rockstar titles despite same engine, not to say it was perfect but it just felt, snappy.
Russell wrote: