Maximizing SCENE Points

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2018 10:16 am
Tags:
Aug 17, 2016
11 posts
2 upvotes

Maximizing SCENE Points

Hello there. As the title indicates, I was wondering how to most effectively acquire SCENE Points (Cineplex very much enjoys their monopoly). As well as that, I was wondering when you put someone under you (attach their SCENE card to your account so that they get points when you see a movie), is the person attached getting "free" points, or are the points you get from seeing a movie being split between you and them? I think it works like the latter, but I'm uncertain since I only monitored it closely once or twice.

I do have a SCENE Visa, which add up surprising quickly on purchases, but I haven't noticed many methods to get a lot. Does someone else have a technique or method? Thank you.

Edit: Sorry, been dealing with drama behind the scenes. Greens for everyone! Thank you for the tips!
Last edited by Doomsday999 on Jan 18th, 2017 2:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Redeem a 1000 SCENE points for a Large Popcorn and Pop at Cineplex (while, preferably, going on Tuesday's): Better Value.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21707 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Did you remember to sign up for email from Scene? They send bonus points and promos all the time.
Mainly just a bunch of extra bonuses for shopping @ Mark's and Sportcheck, but hey? Every point counts, right?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2009
4265 posts
23520 upvotes
North York
Check points earned while dinning in specific locations. Sometimes you can get 30 times the points! It is all on scene.ca
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26213 posts
39747 upvotes
Toronto
head to nearest theatre during your lunch break or after work. Get close enough to hop on Timeplay network. Pick movie with likeliest least people at it (e.g. Office Christmas Party).

Play Timeplay 'blind'. You'll likely still hit top 10 for 25 Scene points or , if it is quiet, maybe you'll be top 5 and get 50 Scene points. I do that all the time at Yonge/Dundas...

It is 1000 points for a free movie . You'd have to score top 5 in Timeplay 20 times to earn a free flick (20 plays X 50 Scene points = 1000 free Scene points)
Last edited by sprung on Jan 18th, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6228 posts
4829 upvotes
^ You guys are AWESOME! Smiling Face With Sunglasses I learn something new every day on here.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6902 posts
586 upvotes
GT'eh
sprung wrote: head to nearest theatre during your lunch break or after work. Get close enough to hop on Timeplay network. Pick movie with likeliest least people at it (e.g. Office Christmas Party).

Play Timeplay 'blind'. You'll likely still hit top 10 for 25 Scene points or , if it is quiet, maybe you'll be top 5 and get 50 Scene points. I do that all the time at Yonge/Dundas...
I have no words, but this is clever though. Some may even argue its illegal and point theft. How many time plays do you have to lose to get a free movie?
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h <0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<h lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: rFD | 500+
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1739 posts
960 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
Doomsday999 wrote: Hello there. As the title indicates, I was wondering how to most effectively acquire SCENE Points (Cineplex very much enjoys their monopoly). As well as that, I was wondering when you put someone under you (attach their SCENE card to your account so that they get points when you see a movie), is the person attached getting "free" points, or are the points you get from seeing a movie being split between you and them? I think it works like the latter, but I'm uncertain since I only monitored it closely once or twice.

I do have a SCENE Visa, which add up surprising quickly on purchases, but I haven't noticed many methods to get a lot. Does someone else have a technique or method? Thank you.
The attached card will get the 100 points for the second ticket I believe, or 150 for a premium (3D) ticket. But there is a 20 point bonus for online ordering, so it's better to separately order one ticket per card.

On vouchers where you pay the difference to upgrade to a premium ticket, you still earn the additional points for the premium (50 for 3D, 100 for VIP). When you use a BOGO the extra points will be distributed to the attached second card.

You should get a third card to create a scenetourage group (link) and earn another 50 per card when at least 2 cards order the same ticket.
You need someone with an umbrella not a fork
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
One scene card can get one round of points (100/150/200) per transaction, up to two transactions per day for movies.

So if you don't link a second card, then it's best to do two separate transactions to accumulate the points on one card.

Obviously in cases where there is reserved seating, you probably want to purchase both tickets at the same time to be safe, in which case, having the second card linked will ensure each card gets a round of points.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 18, 2010
5960 posts
1591 upvotes
Toronto
If you're open to getting a (nother) credit card, get the scene visa one. You're expenditure goes towards points. I had a couple people tell me they haven't paid for a movie in a few years because of all the points they rack up.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
6228 posts
4829 upvotes
Just noticed I got another 'targeted email' from Cineplex telling me I'll get 300 bonus SCENE points if I go see "XXX: RETURN OF XANDER CAGE" between January 20 to 26. I really don't mind paying to see it again on discount Tuesday since my first viewing was for free at an advanced screening posted by sprung in the "freebies" section. Thanks again sprung! I really wish Cineplex would have sent me a targeted email for bonus points for films like "Hidden Figures" or "Patriots Day" because they are movies I haven't seen yet. Cineplex always seem to send me these bonus points promotions a day or two right after I've already seen the movies. Go figure. Cineplex get it right for me next time! LOL

I'll continue to see movies on discount Tuesday. However, I may stop using my SCENE points for free movies and start using the 1000 points for the large popcorn and large drink instead. It may work out better for me since I only like using my 1500 points for the premium theatres (IMAX, UltraAVX etc.) because I have to be in the best auditoriums when I see a "big picture, big sound" movie.
Jan 20, 2017
9 posts
1 upvote
Is the Timeplay available at all locations? I haven't seen anything mentioning that at the theatre I go to.
Jun 30, 2009
905 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
No, Timeplay isn't available everywhere. Even in some theatres, some screens/movies don't get it while others do. My regular theatre never had it in the VIP screens while the AVX did. But they just started it in VIP the last time I was there so it might have changed. It really threw me off and I didn't have my phone ready.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
7611 posts
5047 upvotes
How about downloading the Carrot app and applying your scene card there? They don't give out as much scene points on their surveys as before, but still adds up.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26213 posts
39747 upvotes
Toronto
Order with the Swiss Chalet app (available on iPhone and Android) before February 19 and get 250 bonus SCENE® points.* Remember to enter your SCENE card number and coupon code SC232 at checkout, valid for one time use during the promotion period.

Enter your SCENE card number & the coupon code to get your bonus SCENE points!
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
3206 posts
1739 upvotes
Markham
sprung wrote: head to nearest theatre during your lunch break or after work. Get close enough to hop on Timeplay network. Pick movie with likeliest least people at it (e.g. Office Christmas Party).

It is 1000 points for a free movie . You'd have to score top 5 in Timeplay 20 times to earn a free flick (20 plays X 50 Scene points = 1000 free Scene points)
Lmao, i do this all the when I come to a movie too late to do the timeplay. I'm sure all the employees there love doing it too.

With how their point system currently setup, redeeming points for weekend VIP movies ($25) and AVX 3D/Imax ($18) are the best values.

If you were to have a lot of BOGO coupons or coupons from the gift card promos, redeeming 1000 scene pts for $10 at Sport chek and Cara restaurants work well too. Doing it this way works out well since would earn you the 100+ scene points extra per movie you go to.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3487 upvotes
Victoria
I earned the bulk of my points when Cineplex used to sell blurays. They'd have these insane deals at black friday/boxing day where purchasing a bluray would get you free admin one passes and a craptonne of points.

When I go to a movie in Imax I buy one ticket at time. I end up getting 170x2 that way. I also acquire them through the carrot app.

I try to save using my points for 2for1 deals. When you get them for buying cineplex gift cards, virgin mobile 2for1 promo's, cereal box 2for1 promo's. Scene points count as a purchase so it works pretty good doubling up with a 2for1 at the same time (although I have to pay $6 to upgrade the free ticket to imax).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)