Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Maximum Fixed/Plunge Router - Sale $99.99 (55% Off) - Sale begins Jun3 & ends Jun9

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2019 8:55 am
Oct 14, 2015
59 posts
16 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
adams7 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2016 3:06 am
A few years ago this router came with a fitted plastic storage case to store all the components. I looked on the box at Cdn Tire and it looks like the case is no longer included. Can anyone confirm if there is a case or not?
Just bought one and it does not come with a case
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
adams7 wrote:
Jun 4th, 2016 3:06 am
A few years ago this router came with a fitted plastic storage case to store all the components. I looked on the box at Cdn Tire and it looks like the case is no longer included. Can anyone confirm if there is a case or not?
No, they no longer come with a plastic case
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2011
1043 posts
432 upvotes
The 6ix
I've got the dewalt one with no variable speed control. When working with soft wood it would always leave rip marks and leaving me to hand sand later on. Will the variable speed fix that issue?
Mar 7, 2011
51 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
CarsonKT wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2016 9:17 am
I grabbed this set last month https://www.amazon.ca/MLCS-8377-15-Piec ... outer+bits

I believe MC Maximum 40pc set will go on sale at the same time
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxim ... p.html#srp

good thing is, it carries lifetime exchange warranty, but most of them are 1/4 shank
MC Maximum 40pc set is On Sale Price of : $89.49 , is this a good price for MC Maximum 40pc set ? Thanks for your inputs and feedback.
Nov 26, 2003
515 posts
324 upvotes
GTA
vr_nguyen wrote:
Jun 4th, 2016 8:38 am
I've got the dewalt one with no variable speed control. When working with soft wood it would always leave rip marks and leaving me to hand sand later on. Will the variable speed fix that issue?
You won’t see much advantage on softwood. Variable speed would be helpful with hardwoods or larger diameter bits. It sounds like you might be trying to take off too much per pass, or you might need a sharper bit.
Oct 2, 2013
832 posts
205 upvotes
kp.jassal wrote:
Jun 4th, 2016 9:46 am
MC Maximum 40pc set is On Sale Price of : $89.49 , is this a good price for MC Maximum 40pc set ? Thanks for your inputs and feedback.
that's the sale price I've seen this year, last year I think is was $10 cheaper :D
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3658 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
vr_nguyen wrote:
Jun 4th, 2016 8:38 am
Bit quality, condition and sharpness are big factors. With soft woods especially the cutting edges get gummed up with pitch and regular cleaning makes a huge difference. Quality of wood, cut depth, feed rate and grain direction are also big factors. Get all these aligned and you should get a great finish but I don't expect bit rotation speed to make much difference.
May 27, 2008
179 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Picked the router and bit set up as well, was also disappointed to see there wasn't a storage case included. Haven't got to play with it yet, but it does seem solidly built and the LED lights are a nice touch.
May 8, 2007
912 posts
240 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
I got one of these routers too, was apprehensive about this brand but after I got it home and checked it out it looks decent quality and worth the sale price.

The function of the various adjustments seems clear and it is easy to switch from the fixed base to the plunger base. The only thing that looks questionable is the clamp lever mechanism used to hold the motor in the fixed base, however it will be OK as long as the user is not too clumsy.

The 3 LEDs in the bottom of the motor unit give lots of light with both bases. There is an old-style toggle switch to turn the router on. The soft-start motor takes a few seconds to get up to speed. I ran the router without a bit and it seems smooth and the speed control works. Lots of air gets pulled in from the top and exits at the bottom to cool the motor and blow chips away from the bit area. The motor powers the collet shaft direct, without gears.

The motor unit is 11 amps, even more powerful than my ancient Skil 7 1/4" circular saw.

Has anyone tested the router to see if it keeps the RPM steady under different loads?

Now I need to get some router bits. We don't have Busy Bee store out west but there is KMS Tools that has a lot of woodworking stuff.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1370 posts
231 upvotes
dirtmover wrote:
Jun 5th, 2016 11:07 am
Bit quality, condition and sharpness are big factors. With soft woods especially the cutting edges get gummed up with pitch and regular cleaning makes a huge difference. Quality of wood, cut depth, feed rate and grain direction are also big factors. Get all these aligned and you should get a great finish but I don't expect bit rotation speed to make much difference.
Yeah, practice makes perfect. Go steady, figure out a comfortable feedrate that's not too fast (jumpy) and not too slow (heats up and burns). Move against the direction of the blade spin - going with the blade will cause it to push itself along like a wheel, and that can also cause ragged edges.
Feb 19, 2004
279 posts
18 upvotes
Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

I am looking for one of these, if anyone bought one during the sale and don't want it, please let me know and I will take it off your hands.

Thanks! :)
Jan 25, 2006
147 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal
Bringing up an old thread here. But, i notice that this router is on sale at CanadianTire for $129. Does it come down to $99 anymore? if it does i may just wait for that. If not I will buy now.
thanks bob