• Jun 18th, 2018 3:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 15, 2010
6 posts
1 upvote
toronto

Maxwell's Clothiers doesn't fit

Does anyone else here on RFD have a bad experience with Maxwell's Clothiers? I recently bought a new suit with three shirts for $1000 from them in March when they were in Richmond Hill. Today a month later, I finally got my custom made outfits and every single one of them has a problem. The suit jacket is 2" too loose in the mid section so it looks baggy. My suit pants are too tight around the waist so I can barely tuck my shirts into them, not even my hand. All three of the dress shirts are very tight around my neck, can't barely swallow neither less breath. Can't imagine wearing them with a tie for eight hours of work. Has anyone else experienced problems of fit with Maxwell's Clothiers?
6 replies
May 17, 2004
730 posts
53 upvotes
tom8me wrote:
Apr 30th, 2018 11:20 pm
Does anyone else here on RFD have a bad experience with Maxwell's Clothiers? I recently bought a new suit with three shirts for $1000 from them in March when they were in Richmond Hill. Today a month later, I finally got my custom made outfits and every single one of them has a problem. The suit jacket is 2" too loose in the mid section so it looks baggy. My suit pants are too tight around the waist so I can barely tuck my shirts into them, not even my hand. All three of the dress shirts are very tight around my neck, can't barely swallow neither less breath. Can't imagine wearing them with a tie for eight hours of work. Has anyone else experienced problems of fit with Maxwell's Clothiers?
I don’t have any experience with Maxwell’s but MTM is never a perfect fit. There will always be adjustments required. Fundamental measurements must be correct (jacket length, button stance, arm pitch and anything that involves the shoulder should be close to spot on). Loose in the jacket mid section is an easy fix. Pants a bit tight is also an easy fix up to 1” either way.

The collar being too tight for the shirts is a fundamental flaw and cannot be fixed. Those need to be remade.

Maxwell’s is overseas MTM, adjustments will be needed. That is why bespoke takes multiple fittings.
Heatware:
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=32192

Ebay:
Over 100 Feedback under "techtoys2002"
Jul 30, 2015
12 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I just got shirts from them and they are too baggy and just don't fit well. I feel like there is no attention paid when they are measuring you or they simply just don't bother to spend the time carefully measuring you. I guess you get what you pay for.
Mar 15, 2018
12 posts
3 upvotes
My husband use to go to Maxwells when they visited canada, because there were no other options. Because they cut and shipped it from overseas, they had to ensure that it "fit" you or at a minimum was something they could alter. You really can't alter a dress shirt when it is simply too small, so what we were finding was that Maxwell always made their shirts a little too loose or baggy to stay on the safe side. There are much better MTM options in Toronto these days that it doesn't make sense to go with someone who has no retail presence here.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4406 posts
260 upvotes
I had maxwell dress shirts before (did not trust their suits for whatever reason), they were always off on the shoulders and sleeve length for me so I stopped buying from them ever since.

Every MTM place has their own issues though and it comes and goes (never really consistent). I have MTM suits/shirts from Indochino/Black Lapel in my rotation and I can tell you, not knowing how Indochino won me back but their MTM suits were completely off after they arrived and the adjustments/remakes back when they did it were not much better. However, they are now my preferred for two reasons: they currently have the measurements and tailoring right and with the USD/CAD disparity, I could no longer justify the additional markup for Black Lapel when Indochino has their occasional 'sales' even though I prefer them as my MTM provider.
Jan 30, 2013
57 posts
17 upvotes
don't waste you money on maxwell. They are good price, but the quality has been hit or miss. If you have a shirt that's perfect, then, i think it is worthwhile to use them.
[OP]
Mar 15, 2010
6 posts
1 upvote
toronto
That's everyone for your input. I went to one of their authorized alteration shops in North York after emailing Maxwell's. The suit jacket was taken in the middle and now fits properly. All three shirts had their buttons moved slightly so now they don't chock me. Pants seemed to have stretched a little so not so bad. I agree with Mufasa69 that the tailors that measure for Maxwell's don't bother to spend the time carefully measuring you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)